Author Topic: RELEASE: XWP Athena (eXperimental Weapons Platform)  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
RELEASE: XWP Athena (eXperimental Weapons Platform)
"But Galemp" you exclaim, "Why are you kitbashing all these FS1 models? Haven't you done enough already?" To which I reply, "Never."

This radical modification of the GTB Athena merges two fuselages, and replaces one cockpit/life support system with a giant cannon, for use as an experimental weapons platform. The co-pilot acts as a dedicated gunner for this weapon, monitoring targeting and testing results in real-time.

The table is set up to use an AAA beam so be sure Beam-free-all by default is set in your missions if you intend for this to be a player option, or if it appears in waves. Does anyone want interface art for this? It's not a priority. Let me know if I should generate some.

DOWNLOAD
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: RELEASE: XWP Athena (eXperimental Weapons Platform)
As I stated in the "What are you working on" thread, you should take a cue from the Germans and call it the Athena-Z.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
That's what it's called in the table provided. :)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I haven't noticed this before. Very cool thing! After a small modification, the turret may become third primary bank perfect for some long-range weaponry. Makes me wanting to play some FS1-themed campaign, where you fly this thing and snipe main cannons of enemy warship with some Archer-like primary.

I once had the same idea but never implemented it to FS.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

WTF how did I miss this ship???

Docking point has no properties BTW

Thrusters are not attached to one of the 2 engine subsystems

The hull is outside of the shields at 2 points on the wings
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:55:16 pm by Nightmare »

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I like it. It has a TIE Bomber feel to it, what with its asymmetrical double fuselage design  :nod: 
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
I liked the Athena in FS1, this is Athena+! very cool!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
This is ABSOLUTELY great!
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I always approve of a giant cannon on a bomber. I suppose someone could also table it to carry some bombs anyway.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.