Author Topic: The Babylon Project is requesting for voice actors.  (Read 20663 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Yes indeed, I've heard you all have done very good job on the voice acting. Thanks guys and gals. :)

Offline Darkblade

• Lurker
    • The Babylon Project website
Raider Wars voice acting
If there are still guys or girls re-recording stuff, the way to get rid of that damn annoying cathedralesque echo is to use to two different volume setups in recording programs.

What I mean is that you put your soundcards microphone volume settings to maximum and adjust the volume setting on your recording program (Goldwave, Audacity, Adobe Audition etc.) to 50-60%. At least I fixed my recording problems that way in the past. It will result into a strange humming effect but in my opinion, it is a way better alternative to echoing.

Also, progress report. Every role, not including General Maxwell Snyder and Captain Jane Tennison parts, has now been cleaned. Of course, there are still some parts which have way too many recording errors on them that I could not fix. I have discarded those samples and thrown them into Sector 14. I'm going to paste the roles which need to be re-recorded with my notes on later date. Most likely that day will be upcoming Thursday (5.5.). So voice actors, keep your eyes peeled on this thread at the end of this week.
Mauri Darkblade Majanoja

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Raider Wars voice acting
Thread stuck until we're done with RW voice acting.

Raider Wars voice acting
Well..Again my apoligies abot the Catherdral thing
I have upgraded to a brand new computer
An Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe..The 1 gig Thunderbird had to retire.  
I have noticed on my new mobo that I have a built sound card and it has built in Noise Surpression for recording.  I am waiting and will assist since I am not downloading TBP till new version is relased then full Max out on graphics.. I can't wait!!!

I asked IP to let me know if anything had to be done or redone.  He did stay I had an echo but it would be worked out at a later date.  He has my email to let me know.

I willl be checking thread daily.  Since I got a working Computer now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 04:48:06 pm by 2196 »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Raider Wars voice acting
IPAndrews will be unavailable for some time due to his job taking a lot of time at the moment. Darkblade will handle this from now on, I try to assist him where I can.

Offline Darkblade

• Lurker
Raider Wars voice acting
Originally posted by PSI-KILLER
I asked IP to let me know if anything had to be done or redone.  He did stay I had an echo but it would be worked out at a later date.  He has my email to let me know.

I willl be checking thread daily.  Since I got a working Computer now.

There are some problems with your samples. The first one is the echo which you mentioned. Once put through TBP Radio Effect filter (courtesy by Black Sheep), your samples sound pretty awful.

Second problem is your volume settings. You have had your settings way up and the placement of your microphone could have been way better.

I'm not sure if it is wise to do re-recordings since your part was massive. Unless you are willing to pull your hair out and record all of your lines within a week, then I give you a go but let me give you more information how to make the samples sound better tomorrow.
Mauri Darkblade Majanoja

Raider Wars voice acting
I will redo then my samples.  If IP asked me a month ago I would have done it and no problems.  Now the deadline within a week is crazy.  If you don't want me to do the voice just tell me.  You know how rough it will be to redo all sound files in 72 hours you must be joking.  You are saying none out of over 100 files are good.

Offline Darkblade

• Lurker
Raider Wars voice acting
I will redo then my samples.  If IP asked me a month ago I would have done it and no problems.  Now the deadline within a week is crazy.  If you don't want me to do the voice just tell me.  You know how rough it will be to redo all sound files in 72 hours you must be joking.  You are saying none out of over 100 files are good.

I'm not sure how fast we are actually trying to get 3.2 patch out. And yes, I know how rough and crazy doing >100 lines in a week can be.

You have a great voice, I'd like to hear you as General Snyder in the final version. I'll give you plenty of time to re-record the lines but the absolute deadline will be end of this month. Mr. Fury can barbecue my ass for this but what the hell, at least I go out with a bang. ;)

And if it is not too much trouble, try this.

Previously posted by Darkblade:
... put your soundcards microphone volume settings to maximum and adjust the volume setting on your recording program (Goldwave, Audacity, Adobe Audition etc.) to 50-60%. At least I fixed my recording problems that way in the past. It will result into a strange humming effect but in my opinion, it is a way better alternative to echoing.

Also a big list of Black Sheeps voice recording directives:

----
1) Don't record using Windows Audio Recorder!
2) Use Cool Edit 2000, Adobe Audition, Audacity or GoldWave to record your scripts.
3) Open a new file with these settings: 44 Khz, 16 Bit, Mono
4) Now record your script
5) Don't stop the record, when you have recorded the script. Please record one or two seconds of the backround sounds. This is required to filter them out of the sample later. DON'T CHANGE THE MIC POSITION FOR THAT RECORD. LEAVE THE MIC WHERE IT WAS DURING THE RECORDING!!!
6) Don't compress the wave.
7) Don't reduce the quality. Leave the wave in 44Khz, 16 Bit, Mono
8) Don't save in MP3 format. You may however save in an ADPCM format.

Recording tips:

-Don't breath into the microphone
-The position of your microphone should be on the left or right side of your mouth with a distance of 2-3 cm
-Don't record the whole script in one piece. Even if you do only a sample of two sentences....
-Don't alter your voice too much, it would be noticeable.
-Make sure you do a clean record (that is the most important point.) :)
-Record a second or two of background noise to every sample. One second is usually sufficient.
----

Do not save the files in OGG format since then I need to convert the samples back to wave format with CDEX, which sometimes work and sometimes doesn't.

So save the samples in ADPCM compressed wave format and you'll save me a whole lot of trouble. :)

Make a few test recordings while utilising these advices and send them to [email protected]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 02:53:59 am by 152 »
Mauri Darkblade Majanoja

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Raider Wars voice acting
I haven't set any deadlines for Base 3.2 or RW 2.0.

Raider Wars voice acting
Ok
I am buying a new handsfree mic today.  I will send a sample to your email address [email protected] .  Once I get the go ahead I will start and re record all.  I will follow all your directives in regards to volume settings and file format saves.  I am sure with the new mobo their will be no problems.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Raider Wars voice acting
[BOnce I get the go ahead I will start and re record all. /B]

Ok well I'm not asking you to do it PSI-KILLER, blame Darkblade :). If you really want to though well do a few with the new kit and negotiate with Darkblade to ensure they're up to his standards. Plus whilst I'm here Scylla is Sylluh (not Skylah) and G.O.D. sat is god sat (not gee oh dee sat). Oh and the voice acting has to be up to the standard of your existing set :D

In the meantime I've asked DB to release a beta using you existing sample set. So you should get to play the VA campaign before you record the new set.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Darkblade

• Lurker
Raider Wars voice acting
Originally posted by IPAndrews

Ok well I'm not asking you to do it PSI-KILLER, blame Darkblade :).

Yeah, I'm a real devil when quality is required. Guess my path will be the Dark Side one. :lol:
Mauri Darkblade Majanoja

Raider Wars voice acting
well they are sent let me know.
Also let me know if any of the orginals are usable.  It would be mighty helpful.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 08:29:31 pm by 2196 »

Offline Darkblade

• Lurker
Raider Wars voice acting
well they are sent let me know.
Also let me know if any of the orginals are usable.  It would be mighty helpful.

I sent some e-mail back too. The difference between the original record is huge, at least in my opinion.

The main problem with your original records is that they crackle even during normal speak. I tried to tweak the volume by normalising, hard limiting, frequency altering but didn't get it sound any better, but then I'm no professional sound editor.

This whole ordeal is primarily my fault, I acknowledge that, since I forgot to give the recording tips and other advices before everyone began their recording process. For that I blame army for being a stress factor so my head was full of garbage.

I don't want to get all sore eyed telling how much trouble I had in the army. I'll give you one hint: myocarditis.

Now I have to get in contact with Emily Holmes.
Mauri Darkblade Majanoja

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Raider Wars voice acting
Emily does not have the time or the equipment to re-record. I'll tell you that for nothing.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Raider Wars voice acting
Darkblade I assume that is a go ahead I will start doing this again ths weekend.  I will use the noise surpression built into the mobo too.

Offline Darkblade

• Lurker
Raider Wars voice acting
Darkblade I assume that is a go ahead I will start doing this again ths weekend.  I will use the noise surpression built into the mobo too.

Make it so. :yes:
Mauri Darkblade Majanoja

Raider Wars voice acting
I sent everything including the kitchen sink and fridg.  You should have 9 or 10 emails from me.
It is done 2nd round...

Let me know about any needed redo's when you can
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 09:44:46 am by 2196 »

Offline Darkblade

• Lurker
Raider Wars voice acting
I sent everything including the kitchen sink and fridg.  You should have 9 or 10 emails from me.
It is done 2nd round...

Let me know about any needed redo's when you can

Gosh, you should have packed the samples. Too many save as dialog windows opened up, I'm getting drowned.

Damn, you are fast. :)

Only received two e-mail thus far.
"Emailing: rw 17 125, rw 17 126, rw 17 127, rw 17 128, rw 17 129, rw 17 130, rw 17 121, rw 17 122, rw 17 123, rw 17 124"
&
"Emailing: rw 17 029, rw 17 030, rw 17 031, rw 17 032, rw 17 033, rw 17 034, rw 17 035, rw 17 036, rw 17 037, rw 17 038, rw 17 039, rw 17 040, rw 17 021, rw 17 022, rw 17 023, rw 17 024, rw 17 025, rw 17 026, rw 17 027, rw 17 028"

I hope the rest of them gets into my inbox soon.
Mauri Darkblade Majanoja

Offline Darkblade

• Lurker
Raider Wars voice acting
Two new batches arrived. Waiting for the rest of them.

OT: PSI-KILLER, what microphone did you buy? I just want to know since I need a new one. :)
Mauri Darkblade Majanoja