Author Topic: well this might be stupid  (Read 5568 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
well this might be stupid
Don't try to tell me that WS is capable of such a precise and fast moving that it can direct the beam to a small target and at a relatively far away, without seperate targetting and directing of the beam.

As long as it's within "optimum firing range" (however far away that is), it shouldn't have much of a problem. The Whitestar is faster and virtually as manuverable as most (if not all) fighters.

The Omega and G'Quan have that beam direction changing ability to make up for the fact that they are snails.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Originally posted by Kosh
As long as it's within "optimum firing range" (however far away that is), it shouldn't have much of a problem. The Whitestar is faster and virtually as manuverable as most (if not all) fighters.

But think about the mass. It is manouverable but it still has to fight mass and inertia when rolling around. And it can't really shoot accuratley with the pulse guns at the wingtips. They are too far away from each other.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Originally posted by Prophet
Don't try to tell me that WS is capable of such a precise and fast moving that it can direct the beam to a small target and at a relatively far away, without seperate targetting and directing of the beam.

when they are moving head on

You have just been ironied.

Down-the-throat shots are technically quite simple. There is no deflection. One simply points and shoots. The difficulties revolve around doing it in the time available in a head-on encounter and still having enough time to break.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 10:56:18 am by 2191 »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

But think about the mass. It is manouverable but it still has to fight mass and inertia when rolling around. And it can't really shoot accuratley with the pulse guns at the wingtips. They are too far away from each other.

The mass must be partially negated by the propulsion system...because it seems to whip around in a very fighter like fashion.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Sparrow

WHite Stars have gravimetic propulsion and manouvering systems, that dennies inertia to the inside and crew and maybe denies inertia to much of the mass so they can turn in a not.
For the weapon systems, in the very first combat mission of a WS it could be seen firing at centauri mines while evading the beam of a shadow cruiser, and against the shadow-omegas they can be seen firing at the thunderbolts with beam and others  with angle

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Originally posted by Sparrow
WHite Stars have gravimetic propulsion and manouvering systems, that dennies inertia to the inside and crew and maybe denies inertia to much of the mass so they can turn in a not.

Denies some of the inerita. Otherways it would be flying exactly like Nial... On rails... I don't think it's precise enought that the designers (of the ship) would count on it to hit accuratley enought... Why do you think rifles have those pieces of metal on top that you can move around and look trought, when you can simply point and shoot!
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Offline Sparrow

What does rifle sights have to do with the targeting system and fire control of a White Star?

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Whitestar not having prceision targetting control in it's guns is same as you shooting from the hip. Unnessecarily inaccurate and without reason...

Offline Sparrow

Sorry, but i never say that WSs were unacurate, i say that they are pretty accurate because they have a brand new Mimbari-Vorlon targeting system, at least the side turrets seem capable to fire in angle (as seen while destroying centauri mines while evading a Shadow cruiser)

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Yes. Exactly what I have been saying for the past days... And nobody said WS is not accurate. The point is why it is accurate...

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Think about it.  The whitestar is a very small and fast ship, jam packed with tech to make a jump point.  Why would it be made more expensive by adding a swivel-beam?  It can turn as fast as a beam swivels, anyway!

Just make the beam the third primary weapon and get over it!