Author Topic: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!  (Read 222593 times)

Offline Shade

Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this fir
Tried both with no multi.cfg and with the one you attached. Still can't connect, even with my firewall completely disabled. Multi.log is identical to the one above, except for missing "Failure from gethostbyname() for host 'gt.pxo.net'", and in case you're interested, the relevant part of fs2_open.log is below:

Code: [Select]
Got event GS_EVENT_MULTI_JOIN_GAME (18) in state GS_STATE_MAIN_MENU (1)
Frame  0 too long!!: frametime = 0.581 (0.581)
Frame  0 too long!!: frametime = 0.267 (0.267)
Received post for event GS_EVENT_MAIN_MENU during state transtition. Find Allender if you are unsure if this is bad.
Got event GS_EVENT_MAIN_MENU (0) in state GS_STATE_MULTI_JOIN_GAME (14)

I also tried to mess around a bit and change the server IP address in multi.cfg from 64.92.160.252 back to the 3.6.9 address of 64.92.160.250, just to see if I could at least get some server response (even an error) using this build. And that does indeed connect, although it obviously throws the expected error and won't let me log onto the old server with this build.

Another thing - How do we enable the lobby? I remember seeing it at some point but hell if I can remember how, or for that matter find it again. Anyway, I've got some hours which were tentatively scheduled for some rare procrastination this evening, so if you need me for troubleshooting to get this figured out, I'll be around.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 03:17:29 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Shade

Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this fir
Saw you put up new build. It fares somewhat better, getting me to the lobby (which is there now, so forget that question :)), but it dies on verifying username and password. Log below.

Code: [Select]
FreeSpace Multi Log - Opened Sat, Feb 16, 2008  at 01:59AM
----
----
----

02/16 01:59:40~   psnet_init() detected lan connection
02/16 01:59:40~   psnet_get_ip() reports IP : 0.0.0.0

02/16 01:59:40~   Receive buffer set to 4096

02/16 01:59:40~   Send buffer set to 4096

02/16 01:59:40~   Error on IPX startup 10047

02/16 01:59:40~   Network
02/16 01:59:40~   Found no RAS connections
02/16 01:59:47~   In psnet_use_protocol()
02/16 01:59:47~   Psnet : TCP broadcast

02/16 01:59:47~   Psnet using - NET_TCP

02/16 02:00:04~   FS2NetD ERROR:  UNKNOWN ERROR when fetching pilot data

----
----
----
FreeSpace Multi Log - Closing on Sat, Feb 16, 2008  at 02:00AM

I also tried putting in bogus info to see the reaction, and it dies in the same way, so I'm guessing it's just not recognizing the new pilot and login I made for testing purposes. I want to try it with my old pilot and login, but I'd like confirmation that the corruption bug that used to haunt post-3.6.9 builds is gone first.

It also won't initialize GLSL for me, for some reason (12-07 had the same problem by the way, 10-28 works and boy is it beautiful), but for now I don't care about that. Besides, it might just be a driver issue and I haven't had the time to experiment with different versions recently to see if that would fix it. Anyway, I can play without normal maps - I can't play if I can't log in. So that's what I care about right now.

[Edit] Oh, and firewall was turned off again when I tried the new build, just to be sure.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:20:58 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!
The "UNKNOWN ERROR" there is basically just a timeout.  And the server had crashed again, so it's possible that was the cause.  I have the server daemon running in another gdb session, with more debugging info setup, so perhaps I can finally figure out where the problem is hiding (it's either a bum packet, or a memory overwrite somewhere).  I can't seem to trigger the crash locally though, which is kinda pissing me off.  :doubt:

Just give it another try and see if you get the same thing.  Even if it does timeout again it could still be a server-side issue.  But I'll keep working on it so long as people keep trying to use it. :)

Offline Shade

Well that would explain it :) Trying again.

[Edit] It works! Minor peeve though - I'd like cancel on the game screen to drop you back to the lobby instead of back to the main hall, but hey, it works! I'm happy :) And I'll get back to you another time with the GLSL problem, since you're busy with bughunting the server (which I now intend to go and see if I can crash by doing something stupid).

[Edit 2] I can't seem to break it, either. Guess that's either good or bad depending on whether you need it to crash to find that bug or not :p Looks like all the basic stupidities are accounted for.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:58:02 pm by Shade »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Minor peeve though - I'd like cancel on the game screen to drop you back to the lobby instead of back to the main hall, but hey, it works!
I'd prefer it that way too honestly.  I am trying to restore retail behavior on all of that though.  I asked before in the forums whether or not it went back to the lobby or the mainhall in retail and never got a straight answer.  I've got no problems changing it though.

I can't seem to break it, either. Guess that's either good or bad depending on whether you need it to crash to find that bug or not :p Looks like all the basic stupidities are accounted for.
Yeah, I do need it to break.  And of course, now it won't break.  :rolleyes: The fact that it hasn't seems to indicate that the problem is a memory overwrite though, since all of the extra debug info I added could easily have hidden a memory overwrite again, whereas a rogue packet should have demonstrated the same crashing.  I'll eyeball the code and hopefully get lucky.

Offline Shade

Well, the server might get some more serious testing tonight, so maybe we'll crash it. At least, I'd certainly prefer to use 3.6.10 for our weekly games now that it's visible on the website even if it means a crash now and again :) The lobby alone would be worth the switch, not to mention the faster validation check on missions, the lack of a bloated multi.log, and all the behind the scenes improvements.

Speaking of which, do you have any objection to us pushing the 2-15 build into general use for this? It seems to be the only one with the lobby enabled, but I know it's got problems with scripting and was only intended for testing whether certain bugs had been fixed. Earlier builds will work (I went back and tried both 12-7 and 10-28, and both work now that the server is actually running :p), but the lobby is nice...

And as for a straight answer on the lobby/game screen transition, you have mine, and I can take a poll when we're playing tonight to see if we can get a consensus from those people who are actually going to be using it. I also suppose could be considered a simple question of logic - How many times per session are you likely to switch between game and loby versus how many times you are likely to want to go back to the main hall? And the answer seems pretty straightforward to me: The only time you want to return to the main hall is when you're done playing, so it will be once per session. Whereas you may often want to drop back into the lobby between games to see if anyone is idling in chat for the next game to start.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 11:56:33 am by Shade »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!
I think we should use 3.6.9 today for the last time, and tell everyone to get a 3.6.10 build for next week at the end of our session. This topic only came up two days ago and some people won't be aware the change yet.

We should also stick with the same 3.6.10 build to minimize compatibility problems. Taylor's 10/28 XT build seems like the best choice from what I'm seeing, although I haven't been following the changes in builds that closely.

Offline Shade

I guess that's a good idea. I just get all excited about having an actual lobby with actual chat in-game (it's even got the PXO logo and everything!), and now I don't want to go back to this cheap 3.6.9 crap we've been using so far :p

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I would like to see that lobby too (will bring back many memories of PXO; I haven't seen it since 2001 :p), but at the same time I don't want us to lose players due to this or spend half an hour just trying to get everyone in the game.

Offline Shade

Well grab the 2-15 build and log on half an hour early, we can do a quick Vasudan Assault 2 to get those memories (and another DFC) going ;)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I think we should use 3.6.9 today for the last time, and tell everyone to get a 3.6.10 build for next week at the end of our session. This topic only came up two days ago and some people won't be aware the change yet.

We should also stick with the same 3.6.10 build to minimize compatibility problems. Taylor's 10/28 XT build seems like the best choice from what I'm seeing, although I haven't been following the changes in builds that closely.

The 12/07 build runs better for many people.  I've been using it exclusivley except for multi.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Shade

Not for me - Only 10-28 and earlier give me working normal maps. But it doesn't really matter, all of them log onto the 3.6.10 server just fine, so people can just use the version that works best for them until the final release supercedes them all.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
The lobby has been included with all Xt builds, though it was only activated by a cmdline option.  Part of the reason for it being disabled by default is that it's more interface work for modders since those would be required artwork.  If the art wasn't there then you would be unable to play any multi at all (with FS2NetD at least, only direct-connect would be usable). Another part of it is that the lobby had a tendency to die on people, either crashing the game outright, killing off the window and leaving the process running, or something similar.  The banner support was part of the problem, so that code has been temporarily disabled on all platforms, and another part was just some porting issues that should be totally resolved in the 2/15 build.  So, the cmdline option was removed and now the lobby screen is always used when PXO/FS2NetD is enabled.

The 2/15 build isn't really something you want to give out, unless you are really testing multi and the lobby code.  The lobby code in particular needs a ton of testing (I found it amazingly difficult to test IRC related issues with just one person ;)).  Otherwise the 2/15 build really shouldn't be used by anyone that values their pilot files, scripting support, or various other things.  I've already fixed several bugs since that build was released, and that wasn't even 24 hours ago.

But with the server crash still not being identified yet it would probably be better to use a 3.6.9 build for any real multi play for the time being.  We do need it heavily tested, but the crash makes server stability/availability highly suspect.

And regarding the shader issues Shade, you do have the shader pack, right?  The shaders are included with the 10/28 build, but I rewrote the code and shaders from scratch after that and the shaders can no longer be included in the build itself.  The newer code also checks for a couple of special NV and ATI extensions to know if your hardware supports SM3.0, in order for the shader code to actually work.  The log from a debug build should identify the problem though.

Offline Shade

The 2/15 build isn't really something you want to give out
Noted. No need for it anyway given the cmdline to enable the lobby on earlier builds.

I found it amazingly difficult to test IRC related issues with just one person
PM me if/when you need a second person for said testing, I'd be happy to oblige if it'll get everything working faster :) This also applies if you need extra people for any other kind of testing, by the way.

you do have the shader pack, right?
You know... I bet I don't. It makes sense for it to be some stupid, silly mistake like that. I've just been grabbing new builds as I saw them go up and trying them out, and I think 10-28 is the latest 'public' one (as in, posted in the recent builds forum) you've done. Thanks, one less worry :)

[Edit] You nailed the problem, normals are working again on all newer builds.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 02:23:40 pm by Shade »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I found it amazingly difficult to test IRC related issues with just one person
PM me if/when you need a second person for said testing, I'd be happy to oblige if it'll get everything working faster :) This also applies if you need extra people for any other kind of testing, by the way.
I really just need to do a lot of security type stuff, and to make sure that everything is sorted by channel correctly.  Security wise, you shouldn't be able to any sort of op status or anything, no file transfers, or any other typical IRC things.  For the channel setup we really need like 12+ people to jump on and see what happens.

You can test out basic IRC stuff from a normal IRC client as well, by connecting to fs2netd.game-warden.com:7117.  You shouldn't be able to get ops or anything else in there either (though DCC may actually work).  You also shouldn't be able to connect with certain usernames (like "taylor" or "volition" or "moderator").  If any of that stuff does actually work then let me know.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
this is just so good at the moment all this work going into multiplayer , with babylon online now and 3.6.10

thanks you guys

truley amazing

;) :D ;) :D ;) :D

:yes:
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
if any one wants to play tonite 9pm gmt im up for it , 3.6.9 or 3.6.10 or babylon project

;) :D ;) :D ;) :D
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Added the weekly TBP game, need to know who/where the host is.

And about my HDD problem, the serial is JXFC0596.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Shade

TBP, huh? That might be worth checking out, I've never flown a starfury in MP before :)

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
cc, don't worry about the HDD. If it has lasted since 2000, it's probably gonna work for many years to come :)