Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 92427 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I don't think they show up as options. I can't seem to look around (hat switch does not work), and toggling flight assist on or off seems to have no effect, either visually on the HUD or physically in the flight dynamics.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
toggling flight assist on or off seems to have no effect, either visually on the HUD or physically in the flight dynamics.
Do you have it set as an actual toggle, or set that you need to hold it down? It would be very weird if toggling flight assist wasn't available in Arena.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Hm let me see how I set it up. Also, how do I talk in-game to everyone?

Offline CKid

So I began working on my imperial rank (which was none) after hearing that your major factions military rank will effect what levels of modifications you will be allow to make to your ship in the upcoming 2.1 update. This gave me the opportunity to finally pilot some imperial hardware.

I am in love with the Imp Eagle. Bigger powerplant than it's standard count-part, so bigger guns and more than enough speed to catch up to or run away from any ship.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
i get a feeling that the Empire gets too much love from both players and devs, Alliance and Federations seems kinda unpopulated and underrated.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
i get a feeling that the Empire gets too much love from both players and devs, Alliance and Federations seems kinda unpopulated and underrated.
Three words: "Federal Assault Ship".

(Snip)
iEagle is a fun little bird. Pop a Plasma Accelerator into that C2 slot and cackle while taking down NPC Anacondas.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Kszyhu

Welp, Horizons 2.1 patch is going to be delayed by six weeks, with beta starting in May. This is going to upset quite a lot of people...

Edit: Yup, a ****storm.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:51:54 pm by Kszyhu »

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I'll have to find the optimum time in the lull of players to get sweet trade deals.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I missed the storm. In fact I've seen more reactions along the lines of "oh good they're finally taking quality seriously."

Offline Kszyhu

Well, "a ****storm" might be somewhat too dramatic. Fartstorm, maybe? There was quite a lot of whining, though, predictions of no bug fixing for over two months, and assorted doomsaying (https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/48o4o2/elitedangerous_horizons_first_content_update_has/ for example). The situation certainly didn't do FDev any favours.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Meanwhile, I dip my toe into the "fan trailer" waters:

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Meanwhile, I dip my toe into the "fan trailer" waters:

Nice.  :yes:
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Kszyhu

Canyon Run, or "Does anyone want to give me 2000$ so I can run this setup?"

Offline Lorric

Does anyone here even play this game anymore? This thread was in the middle of the 4th page. Nearly half a year since the last post.

Aliens are coming to the game pretty soon it would seem. And I got to thinking. About alien capital ships.

This game could have the possibility to have capital ships with all the power you'd expect of them. Requiring wave after wave after wave of players working together to take down. Capable of swatting ships like flies, blowing the smaller ships away in one or two hits and the biggest away in just a few. Facing them in battle could be truly terrifying and exhilarating. So what do you think? Would you like to face such a thing? Or would you prefer any such ships to be more in line with the capital ships already in game or in other games where a single player can take one down?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Does anyone here even play this game anymore? This thread was in the middle of the 4th page. Nearly half a year since the last post.

Aliens are coming to the game pretty soon it would seem. And I got to thinking. About alien capital ships.

This game could have the possibility to have capital ships with all the power you'd expect of them. Requiring wave after wave after wave of players working together to take down. Capable of swatting ships like flies, blowing the smaller ships away in one or two hits and the biggest away in just a few. Facing them in battle could be truly terrifying and exhilarating. So what do you think? Would you like to face such a thing? Or would you prefer any such ships to be more in line with the capital ships already in game or in other games where a single player can take one down?

Umm.

Lorric.

Anti-capship combat has been in the game for a very long time (I wanna say since release, but I'm not sure). At this time, they cannot be taken down by players, only driven off.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline CKid

Still playing. Just visited the alien shipwreck that was discovered yesterday in the Pleiades Sector.

Offline Lorric

Umm.

Lorric.

Anti-capship combat has been in the game for a very long time (I wanna say since release, but I'm not sure). At this time, they cannot be taken down by players, only driven off.
Yes, I know. Human capships are pretty rare in the canon, and thus not expendable. They also look to be pretty typical game capships in terms of their power. That's why I made mention of in line with the capital ships already in game. Would people prefer capships to stay like that or be extremely destructive?

Alien capital ships would be something else. You could blow these. And I'm asking should they be super powerful, more like what you'd expect them to be if real. You could also have both Worlds with like gunboats that a single player could kill, maybe frigates that a wing could take down, etc. But a destroyer could be more like what I described above. With big guns that would obliterate ships.

Offline CKid

The problem I see with a destroyer taking down ships in only a few shots is the insurance costs that the players will endure. I wouldn't want to risk my multi-million credit ship if it stands little chance to survive knowing that I could only rebuy 3 or 4 times before having to start over in a sidewinder. Not everyone has billions of credits.

It is not like Elite makes it difficult to store your ship and buy a disposable fighter you can rebuy a hundred times over.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yeah but Elite also made it so that evading shots when you're actually being shot at in dedicated fashion is very difficult and largely amounts to either being able to take a significant number of shots without issue or finding someone else to interpose between you and the attacker who can do that instead.  If you suddenly make those shots able to reliably destroy high end equipment in just a few shots, they're going to be practically one-shotting those disposable fighters and forcing your players to endure an unfun Sisyphean grind or lose hundreds of millions of credits strikes me as a gameplay decision that is a lose-lose.