Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 92406 times)

Just turn down sensitivity if you're having trouble?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
And for the love of god remap roll off of the mouse x-axis.  That's really the only problem I had with the default maps.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I followed the yaw switch advice and it's as natural as free space now.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Yea it's taking some time to get used to. The tutorial kinda sucks honestly. I still have no idea how to locate places in deeper space to go to. I'm gonna have to read some articles or wikis or something.

Also should I be in Open or Solo play?

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Yea it's taking some time to get used to. The tutorial kinda sucks honestly. I still have no idea how to locate places in deeper space to go to. I'm gonna have to read some articles or wikis or something.

Also should I be in Open or Solo play?

Use the left menu and you can bring up the list of in-system destinations (you can select and lock onto them with this menu) and in-range systems (same) and bring up the galaxy map if you need to plan longer routes.

Personally I never play open, both because my connection sucks and I don't like to get ganked.

My advice is not following tutorials to the letter (if you do they tend to end in a few minutes), always play a bit with menus and keyboard commands, even by hitting random keys just to see what they do.
Before getting the full game I kept flying in the asteroid field of the first tutorial mission instead of shooting the targets for example, I played with the menus and set up the controls to my liking.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:51:40 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

You should play in Open unless you've actually been ganked enough to get bored with it. Interacting with other players is fun (even if some of them just want you dead for no reason) and you have nothing to fear unless you're dumb and flying something you can't afford to lose.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Kszyhu

Two n00b-tips for playing in open:
a)Never, ever fly without enough cash for a rebuy (you can check the amount needed on the right-hand side MFD)
b)If interdicted by a player (CMDR prefix, hollow square/triangle on the radar), throttle down immediately, select another system in a meantime (unless you're too attached to your current one). When you drop to real space, boost and jump to a selected system (high wake jump) as soon as possible. The spool-up of an FSD during real space-supercruise transitions (also known as low wake jumps) is slowed down if a ship of sufficient mass is in proximity, but the limitation isn't there for inter-system jumps.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Seasonal festivities!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Someone sell me on this. I'm interested, but something I can't quite pinpoint makes me hesitant to pull the trigger.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
One of the big concerns I've heard is the whole "you have to make your own fun" aspect of ED, which requires that you go find stuff to do instead of being told how you can make your way through the EDverse. My biggest suggestion is just talking with others about what they do and setting goals for yourself. Others think that ED lacks content, which was fairly true for awhile, but it's started picking up with the addition of the Horizons updates and we should start seeing even more content as season 3 moves along through.

Do some more research, it might bring to light what exactly you have an issue with.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline CKid

That was real sweet of you Sushi, wish my experiences with interdictions were that friendly.  :beamz:
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Get the demo. 
Think of it as Frontier elite 2 on uber steroids.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Get the demo. 
Think of it as Frontier elite 2 on uber steroids.

I have not played the Elite games before.

Also, demo? What demo?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
https://github.com/xaduha/Combat-Demo-Downloader

You can't do any interstellar or even interplanetary stuff. But it's a really good way of seeing if you like the flight model and how it runs on your individual setup.

I recommend swapping mouse from roll to yaw before you do anything else.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

You can't do any interstellar or even interplanetary stuff. But it's a really good way of seeing if you like the flight model and how it runs on your individual setup.

I have a full HOTAS setup with pedals, and I got the Arena standalone when it was free. Flight model isn't bad, actually, but I find the combat in a deathmatch setting rather plodding.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

I have a full HOTAS setup with pedals, and I got the Arena standalone when it was free. Flight model isn't bad, actually, but I find the combat in a deathmatch setting rather plodding.

If so, then go to the training missions and start playing with all the extra controls if you haven't done it yet, the FSD ones and the basic gunnery ones are ideal for just that.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
On one hand: Yay Thargoids!

On the other: Oh god, they're going to drag this out for months until angry forum threads pop up complaining about how thargoid interdictions are too frequent, aren't they.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
We can all hide behind you and batutta.

I traded my eagle in for a Cobra mk 3 and 500k. Spent a bit on slightly better pew pews. I having trouble remembering which scanner gets me instant bounty cash ins. 

Is anyone on later tonight to do some high res?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'll be around, but I'm mostly going to be looking for alien encounters
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone