Author Topic: Sooo, act 4 for war in heaven is still being worked on?  (Read 44533 times)

Re: Sooo, act 4 for war in heaven is still being worked on?
so i read that act IV is in an advanced state.

may we please get an idea of how much work is left ?
and when might we get a Voice acting for the previous act ?

i also read that we might get act IV and V released together but i feel like this is a bit too much work imo

Can't tell about the state of Act 4 of course but further VA is unlikely to happen as it takes much time that the team probably invests into more playable content.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Can't tell about the state of Act 4 of course but further VA is unlikely to happen as it takes much time that the team probably invests into more playable content.

That's not my experience with BtA... but I was probably a lot less picky. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

On the other hand, Scroll and Solaris use only computer made voices.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

That's not my experience with BtA... but I was probably a lot less picky. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The casting and processing takes ages, and we did end up spending a couple grand on voice talent in total (iirc? Like 1500 plus or minus a thousand?). I can’t really afford it right now and it just takes eons to get everything recorded and in place: Act 3 has so much dialogue, too.

Act 4 is not in what I’d call an advanced state. I’ve been feeling the call lately, but before I can take a bunch of time to work on BP I have two novels on deadline and a AAA title hiring me for lore.

It is impossible to say how much time is left before a release. It could be next year, it could be never. Right now no work is happening, but that might change.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
My big passion for Act 4 right now is getting rid of per-mission mechanics in the Starcraft 2/Call of Duty mode and instead building systems which span the whole act and which the player can really learn and master. Also trying to polish off the rough edges of FS2 gameplay, make it smoother and less finicky.

Thank you for the update.  :)
One more question though: what was that about Act 4 and 5 supposed to be released at the same time?

i fully understand that Battuta is having a really busy time with other projects and all, but would there be a possibility to hire more "active" people to the team or something to finnish the BP campain ? atleast FREDing wise i mean. If it's impossible, we would atleast have an idea of how the story ends, i don't mind spoilers if u ask me

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You can always read Morrigan in Shadow. It’s not the ending BP will have but it’s an ending.

And would it really be BP without Darius and Axem and I doing missions? It’d be cool to have more talent, but they’d have to really be on the same wavelength.

I'm always torn between begging Battuta for more BP, knowing that'll mean I gotta wait longer for a new Baru Cormorant book and vice versa.

I'm always torn between begging Battuta for more BP, knowing that'll mean I gotta wait longer for a new Baru Cormorant book and vice versa.

Well more of the latter means more money for the General, so more chance for BP. Hopefully. ;7

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
One more question though: what was that about Act 4 and 5 supposed to be released at the same time?

That was the hope, to release 4 and 5 at the same time and so complete BP2.

90+% of HLP community: And, Battuta, sir, what has become of your masterplan? Is Act IV nearing completion, and how much of Act V still needs to be done?

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
You can always read Morrigan in Shadow. It’s not the ending BP will have but it’s an ending.

And would it really be BP without Darius and Axem and I doing missions? It’d be cool to have more talent, but they’d have to really be on the same wavelength.

Maybe you could put out the call for it -- ask community members to try their hand at the first mission of Act 4, and if the work is close enough to how you would do it, then you could greenlight them for a couple more missions, etc.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Maybe you could put out the call for it -- ask community members to try their hand at the first mission of Act 4, and if the work is close enough to how you would do it, then you could greenlight them for a couple more missions, etc.

It’s a nice idea, but...I dunno. If anyone is wildly talented and not admitting it please send us a sample mission!

90+% of HLP community: And, Battuta, sir, what has become of your masterplan? Is Act IV nearing completion, and how much of Act V still needs to be done?

I can’t find any way to read this except as some kind of weird passive-aggressive dig.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

If you don't want to awnser, than don't awnser. Dunno what your pblm is but OK.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
What are you even asking that hasn’t already been answered on this page? It sounds like you’re just mocking the fact that it’s not done.

The info I got so far was that Act 4 is "quite advanced", but requires more work. On the other hand, you stated that BP2s next release contains Act 5 as well, which was, to my knowledge supposed to have multiple endings, each path probably consisting of more than just 1 mission. Aside that you said several times that the basic mechanics in Act 4 and 5 would be similar and hence take less overall work, there wasn't a single comment yet on the status of Act 5 AFAIK (unless you were simply referring the entire time to the 4+5 combination without saying it), which could be anywhere from "roughly the same state as Act 4" to "maybe I or the rest of the team finds the time to built 10 or 15 missions from scratch".
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 10:54:00 pm by Nightmare »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Act 4 is in a state of...moderate progress? It's hard to say. Act 5 ain't got ****. But the branching endings will probably just be cutscenes.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
My big passion for Act 4 right now is getting rid of per-mission mechanics in the Starcraft 2/Call of Duty mode and instead building systems which span the whole act and which the player can really learn and master. Also trying to polish off the rough edges of FS2 gameplay, make it smoother and less finicky.

:yes: As cool as the Act 3 gimmicks were, I'd wish that you'd pick 1 or 2 extra gameplay mechanics and focus on making them a polished and useful tool throughout the campaign.
Things like the tower defense mission are an impressive achievement in the FSO engine, but are maybe better left for single missions in the tech room.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea