Author Topic: Distribution rights to classic StarWars starships?  (Read 1358 times)

Offline 4h

Distribution rights to classic StarWars starships?
Sorry if this question is misplaced(!).

I would like to use the Star Wars spacecrafts in a semi-commercial game. Who would we need to ask for permission? Is there some sort of agreement with Disney, or are people using the assets as "Fan Arts"?

Any input would be greatly appreciated  :)

Thanks,
Hans

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Distribution rights to classic StarWars starships?
What does "semi-commercial" mean? Either you're making money off of it or you don't; if you do, you need to contact Disney's licensing department and be prepared to fork over a ton of cash for the priviledge (Even if you plan on donating everything you make off of this, this is something that Disney's lawyers will have to get involved in).

If you make something without any commercial aspect whatsoever, then it is fan art. But being fan art isn't a perfect shield: Disney's lawyers can and will shut you down if whatever it is you're doing threatens to damage the brand.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 4h

Thanks for the reply and sorry for not being clear on "semi-commercial". It basically means that the game would be free, but would be used to promote an underlying technology. I guess obtaining a pre-commitment or release from Disney would be an uphill struggle ..

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you want to promote tech, then using it to do a project not based on one of the largest and most defended IPs would probably be a good choice.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns