Announcements > Getting Started

What ranks as a "Low" and High" End PC for FSO nowadays

(1/4) > >>

bloated:
I'm installing the Media VP's and prior to install the details talked about how some textures would only work on a higher end system.

What is the minimum gaming card required to run the maximum settings with the updates?

it used to be a 32mb radeon.

Will my HD 9750 get crushed?

HLD_Prophecy:
I used to run an MSI GX60. Even up until less than a year ago. That was a 2012 vintage gaming laptop, HD 7970M. A10 CPU. Funnily enough the graphics card was bottlenecked by the CPU, the tech wasn't balanced for the period.

Anyway. It ran FSO on high settings without a hitch, crisp and clear, HTL fanmade models and all. Some chugging with intense fights only. Your 9750 should be fine I'd imagine! What processor are you using?

bloated:
AMD FX 6300, 16gb's of ram, Samsung 850 512GB SSD all hooked to a replacement Asrock mobo after my Asus board died.

It's almost comical considering I upgraded every 9 months from 1996 to 2006 only to stop and eventually sit on this setup which was never considered anything but mid range at the best of times.

I was considering going Ryzen but now with 7nm tech inbound I'm going to hold off even longer.

probably going to go with a 32" 4k display next... possibly a 37"

HLD_Prophecy:
Yes sir. Yeeees sir, that ought to do it! And I was running FSO off the HDD back then too, SSD should get you great load times!

Sitting on that setup is probably a good idea. Let me tell you I've seen people throw away chances to pay rent, get a car, go to school, just to stay on top of the tech curve. For gaming setups. They just had to have the latest and greatest. Don't get me wrong, I like me some game performance! But that's an underrated skill you got there, the patience to stick with what you have and get your money's worth.  :nod:

Mito [PL]:
I can't seem to find a thing called the HD 9750. Maybe you meant HD 7950? If that's the case, I think you are going to have a really fine experience, however some big battles and missions in asteroid fields will require you to turn off shadows for satisfactory FPS results.

My current setup is a Xeon E5450 (equivalent to a C2Q Q9650) @3,5GHz and a GTX 770 (2GB). And with every visual feature and Full HD resolution many mods can stress that GPU to its edges anyway. I have been using an R7 265 (so something like the HD 7950) before I switched to the GTX, and most more demanding mods usually required turning off shadows back then.

As for the absolute minimum... I heard of people playing FSO on Intelgrated graphics. While it seems possible for retail and older campaigns, I'm not sure how fine will it go with all the new and fancy ones.

I have been wondering for some time now - maybe we should have a topic where people would post their computer specifications, what kind of settings they use and how are the results ingame? It would surely be useful as a part of the newcomer's FAQ.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version