Author Topic: Neat things I've coded in my own tree.  (Read 14513 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Neat things I've coded in my own tree.
I must admit, it always did seem a bit odd to me that the guns slowed down when doubled up. The whole idea of having 2 guns is to double your firepower? The problem is that an Myrmidon with it's six guns, even Subach, would very rapidly knock down a Mara, but I think most Shivan ships only come with 2 gun banks with 2 fire points each a total of 4 shots per 'round' of firing ( or 5 for a Dragon). Whereas the Erinyes, the Herc Mk1, and the Myrmidon all provide a minimum of 6. And the others average out at 4, a third of the Shivan fighters only have two primary firepoints.
It means that most [V] Shivan vessels would be even more fodder than normal, not a problem if you can turn the fire rate fix off, but worth mentioning :)

Flipside :D

Hmmmmm... that's brings the question, was there ever anything done about the problem with having different weapon types on the same turret mount? I seem to recall that doing this didn't work :(
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 08:31:16 pm by 394 »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
You greatly overestimate the usefulness of this. The penalty can be toggled with a #define and is on by default. There are no compatibility issues at present -- it's just fair.

Well it's not really an issue of fairness since there is no fair standard to judge it from (I mean heck, you're the super fighter ace Alpha 1 with mad skillz; that's unfair for everyone else in galaxy :D), but rather of enhancing the gameplay. This will create a whole new array of options for weapon selection since it will no longer just be the individual weapons you take that count, but also the combinations of weapons. Although as SC said, the table option is definitely the best way to go, since we always want to maintain backward-compatibility with existing campaigns.

It means that most [V] Shivan vessels would be even more fodder than normal, not a problem if you can turn the fire rate fix off, but worth mentioning :)

Most shivan vessels, that is, not counting the Nephilim (single slot with 7 mounts) and Seraphim (three slots with 6/3/3 mounts) with their crazy gun banks. :D To prevent the ships with fewer guns from becoming obsolete, some penalty should probably be added in but not enough to completely invalidate the multiple weaponry as is currently the case, which is why I was thinking 75% would work nicely.

I am entirely sick of this stupid argument over the ROF penalty.

Therefore, I propose an alternative. I will send a binary with the penalty removed to anyone who asks for it. (Source, too, if you want.)

Then, you can all see for yourselves what the effects are, and can make far more informed opinions.

Any takers, please email me at [email protected] and request the binary and/or source. Thank you.

-------

New feature: Configurable beam whacking

Two new weapon table flags have been added for beam weapons. These apply to beam weapons of all types, including fighter beams.

beam no whack through shields
Causes the beam to not whack the target if it was stopped by shields. If the beam is shield piercing or the shield is down, then it still whacks.

beam use mass for whack
Causes the beam's $Mass: setting to be used to determine how much whack to apply. For reference, in normal FS2, AAA beams have a whack value of 500, while huge beams have a whack value of 1500. Otherwise, whacking is proportional to damage inflicted.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2003, 03:37:54 pm by 561 »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The improvements above are the best a source coder has ever done. Now we can say FreeSpace is playable on a level. :)
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

OK, these changes have been committed to CVS, now that Inquisitor gave me write access.

Way cool:yes:

A little update: Several of my changes broke things, so they're not all quite in yet, pending resolution of these issues. I guess this happens when you try to merge in such a huge modification.