Author Topic: Mouse problem in loadout screen  (Read 2670 times)

Mouse problem in loadout screen
Hi all, I'm having a wierd mouse click bug with recent versions of FSO. I'm currently using the 20040405 build.

When I'm in the weapon loadout screen, clicking on the guns or missiles sometimes fails to select the weapon. I have to either keep pressing several times before it is finally selected or I have to press the "scroll up and down" buttons before the weapon is finally selected.

And once this problem starts, it spreads to the briefing window as well, and I have to click a random number of times on a briefing room icon to reveal its type.

This problem doesn't occur with the main menu or options menu, only in the weapon loadout/briefing and sometimes ship selection screens.

I have no mods or other modifications except the media vp installed.

Machine Specs:
AMD 1800+
512MB RAM
GeForce 4 Ti 4200
SB Live 5.1

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

optical/wireless mouse?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

I'm using a wired balled PS/2 mouse.

It only happens in FSO and only in the loadout screen. It works fine in FS2 and the older builds of FSO.

This is just wierd... :confused:

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I've had this. I just ignore it... :nervous:

Then again, I had it in retail FS2 so...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

i also have this, but only in recent builds of FSSCP.  I have an optical wireless mouse.  Not sure why that matters even... doesn't FSSCP use directInput?
SCOOB
Melee Combat Demigod

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I've had this before with the Linux version (icculus.org).  Some builds of FS1 would do it and builds of FS2 with the same code wouldn't.  I tried diagnosing it a few times and it looked like the mouse button press was getting reset before the frame was done and it never got back to the menu doing to check.  Usually on the ship select screen it would detect the down press but not the up so it would just drag a ship icon around the screen.  At one time I had a freaky little hack using snazzyui to detect a mouse press but it couldn't be used everywhere and I think I just gave up.  Linux uses SDL for input so if it happens with DirectInput as well then it's something generic in the code that's causing the problem.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Ive had it with two or three FSO builds - that was quite a while ago though and didnt happen with any build since 11-18-03 :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

After some further testing, I realised that this bug only occurs for me in Direct3D8. It works fine when I run it in OpenGL.

I recently reinstalled Windows and found out that this bug no long exists. After fooling around a bit, I discovered a possible fix for those who have this problem.

If you are using a Refresh Rate Override tool, try turning that off first and use the application default's refresh rate. It solved the problem for me in D3D. :D

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I have this problem now and again, it comes and goes, it's weird
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I've recently started having this problem.
-C

Offline HotSnoJ

• Knossos Online!
    • http://josherickson.org
I had a problem similar to this a while back, though it was with everything on my computer.

It turned out it was the mouse. The plastic stuff inside had worn down so that it would only work when I press a certain way.
I have big plans, now if only I could see them through.

LiberCapacitas duo quiasemper
------------------------------
Nav buoy - They mark things

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Originally posted by [BoA]_Scoob
i also have this, but only in recent builds of FSSCP.  I have an optical wireless mouse.  Not sure why that matters even... doesn't FSSCP use directInput?

Ditto, except I have a wired optical mouse. It IS very annoying.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
To everyone who's been having problems, try turning on V-sync...that's what was causing it on my system.
-C