Author Topic: Mass Effect 3  (Read 117959 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The only one that comes to my mind would be Jade Empire. Which would have been a mediocre game, if it didn't have the awesome Bioware writing and some of the most stunning XBox-1-era graphics.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

But wait.

Appealing to a larger audience can be done simply by making a better game. Because better games sell better (because more people buy them = Wider audience). It does not say anything about what direction they are going in.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
There where a slew of articles and interviews about ME3 on the Game Informer site.  I got the impression from them that ME3 is mechanically going to be basically a refined ME2 with some of the RPG elements rolled back in.  Its based of the PS3 ME2 engine after all, so I'm going to log the EA talk as "give the investors' stiffies" bull**** for now.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline newman

Jade Empire and Dragon Age 2 spring to mind. Both are examples of them trying to make a RPG appeal to the arcade FPS crowd. No, there aren't hundreds of examples but DA2 is pretty recent history so that does give me some cause for concern. In general, when a developer starts throwing around terms like "streamlining" and "wider appeal", I get nervous. Meh I'll just hope it'll be similar to ME2 with some tweaks.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Jade Empire and Dragon Age 2 spring to mind. Both are examples of them trying to make a RPG appeal to the arcade FPS crowd. No, there aren't hundreds of examples but DA2 is pretty recent history so that does give me some cause for concern. In general, when a developer starts throwing around terms like "streamlining" and "wider appeal", I get nervous. Meh I'll just hope it'll be similar to ME2 with some tweaks.

Heh. I get the feeling that htey ALWAYS say wider appeal. It sells well to the investors. Like saying 'better education' to voters, without going into how one aims to achieve that.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Bioware has a history of ruining good games by trying to make them be two things at once, specifically arcade action games and rpg games at once. What they always seem to end up with when they try it is a game that's mediocre at both. I really don't like these comments coming from them. I also see no point in changing the gameplay mechanics too much on part 3 of a trilogy. You already got a massive fan base that basically just wants more of the same, possibly upgraded a bit. But it sounds like they're going to try and re-invent the wheel again. Some people never learn. On the other hand Mass Effect is developed by a separate team than stuff like Dragon Age 2 so there's still hope they don't ruin it.

It's less a question of Bioware changing things up as it is EA changing things up.  C&C4 anyone?  Last game in the series and they screw it up royally.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Luis Dias

That's why it was the last hehehe

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior
But wait.

Appealing to a larger audience can be done simply by making a better game. Because better games sell better (because more people buy them = Wider audience).

that hypothesis has been disproven many times before. including by our own Freespace.
It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Friend of mine found something interesting.

http://biowarestore.com/mass-effect-accessories/ssv-normandy-ship-replica

The reason I point this out is because that appears to be the SR2 in Alliance colors. May very well be a confirmation of what ship we'll have in 3.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Oh God Steam is having a Mass Effect sale and the first game is only $5 but I don't really like/play RPGs what should I doooooooo

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Oh God Steam is having a Mass Effect sale and the first game is only $5 but I don't really like/play RPGs what should I doooooooo

Just give it a shot, it's not really like a traditional RPG anyway.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well, this'll be two $5-and-under games this week.  Damn you Steam!

Offline newman

but I don't really like/play RPGs what should I doooooooo

Screw your head on straight and start liking RPGs like a normal person.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Things are usually way too over-complicated for something I want to do in my leisure time, and most of them that involve turn-based systems suck by default.  And I'm not generally a fan of branching stories, since it means you don't get to see everything the game has to offer without replaying it multiple times.

...and yet I just bought Mass Effect.  This should be fun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Mass Effect isn't turn-based.

It does not really branch either.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
New ****, gonna spoiler it because THERE ARE WHAT YOU WOULD CONSIDER ACTUAL SPOILERS AWOOGA WOOGA WOOGA ALL HANDS OFF DECK

They're not THAT huge but they concern the motives of Cerberus and TIM.

Spoiler:
PC Gamer UK posted:

-Tali is confirmed squadmate
    "Garrus, Liara, Kaidan, Ashley and (newly confirmed) Tali are all full
    time members of your team if they survived the previous games."

-Wrex?
    "I asked point blank about Wrex and got as close to a 'no' as I think Bioware will come at this early stage: exceutive producer Casey Hudson simply re-emphasised that such characters canplay a role and fight alongside you without necessarily being permanent squad members."

-No new LIs in ME3

-Biotics are more potent in combat
    "Biotics can use their Pull ability to rip a shield out of someone's hands" (I dont get this)

-Multi Layered combat areas
    "The games combat spaces have graduated from the often-familiar open areas dotted with low walls. They're now multi layed encouraging you to seek high ground for a better vantage point...[the rest is about Cerberus rocket boot dudes using this to their advantage]

-class Specific Melee attacks
    Engineer: Omni-tool fire lash attack
    Adept: Melee (biotic) attack that knocks everyone near them away and stuns

-Powers Evolve more than once
    "In ME3 this is just the start. A Vanguard player can customise their devastating Charge move first to slam people harder, then do more damage, then to reduce the cooldown.

-Powers combine
    Example given with Soldier: "Soldier still has an arcing attack called Concussive Shot, but it now behaves differently depending on the ammo ugrade he/she is using. Cryo ammo lets you use that same trajectory to deliver a blast of ice that canfreeze every enemy in the area."

-Story is more like ME1 than ME2

-Places being visited (at least what the Magazine reports):
    [...]mission takes you to the Salarian homeworld, the Quarian homeworld, the Asari homeworld, and the human homeworld - Earth. You'll even go to Mars [...]

-Every major character you have met will play a role in the last game

-Why is Cerberus after Shepard? They are working with the Reapers
    "If your wondering why we were fighting Cerberus, having worked closely with this shadowy organisation in Mass Effect 2, the answer just raises further questions. They are wokring with the Reapers"

-Reaperized enemies include Asari, Krogan, Rachni
    "In Mass Effect 3 we'll fight the Reapers other experiments, with other species.
    One is a hideously bloated pregnant Asari, her gums stripped away and a robot skeleton showing through her rotting flesh"

"The Reapers take on the Rachni, who were already viscious insect monsters,are covered with bulging savs of lesser creatures. Rather than hitting their weak spot for massive damage, you want to avoid it like the plague: bursting any of these sacs before the creature is dead wit will unleash a swarm of horrible mini-rachni that crawl all over your body"

"The Reaperised Krogan wears heavy armor plates that can shear off with enough focused fire. Once you do the creature changes its behaviour to be more defensive clutching its lurid blue intestines to its stomach as its lumbers towards you"

Casey Hudson summarizing ME3 (This is an article quote):
    "Casey sums up Mass Effect 3 as being about victory through sacrifice, the scale of that sacrifice has been increasing with each new chapter" [Rest is authors speculation about saving(or not saving) Wrex and Rachni consequences]

Offline Luis Dias

I so feared that the cerberus thing was going to be the case...

It seems lazy stuff though.

Offline Luis Dias

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect/Mass-Effect-News-and-Announcements/2-new-screenshots-and-new-release-date-information-7294706-1.html

Today we have confirmed that Mass Effect 3 will be released in the first three months of 2012. The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone’s expectations.”  said Casey Hudson, Executive Producer Mass Effect series.

two new screenshots in the gallery, the first with the trio Kaidan, Shepard and T'Soni, the second with an amazing ship (?) hovering over a city in flames... I'd venture it's a cerberus ship... designed by one of Calatrava's descendants :p.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I just want more lesbians ^_^

And some sort of blackshark missile pistol.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png