Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 589244 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
OK, I only noticed now that I posted a link to the DX11 wrapper for Tie Fighter 98 in the wrong topic, for a while I thought the post had been cancelled for whatever reason.  :banghead:

I would like to take this time to point out that basically Warframe is turning into Star Citizen in a good way, which is EXACTLY how Star Citizen should have done its development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSHu4vaLkms

You make and RELEASE your game, and slowly expand its scope from there if you like.

OK, it's quite telling of the overpromising and lack of focus of the project that people can reliably use online shooters as a reference for what originally was supposed to be a single player space shooter called Squadron 42 (does it even still exist?).
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline MikeRoz

Yes, S42 exists. Backers are treated to an awkwardly in-universe update every month. Looks like the current claim is Q2 2020.

PCGAMER: The secret to Warframe's ship-to-ship space combat is that the ship doesn't actually move

Instead, Digital Extremes is using an ancient rendering technique called 'portal rendering' which works almost exactly like it does in the puzzle game Portal. Essentially, you create a portal or a window that is attached to somewhere else in 3D space, and when you look through it you see from a different perspective. The cockpit of Warframe's spaceship is actually one big portal into an entirely separate map.

"You just connect the player controls to where that portal is," Sinclair said in our interview. "For Empyrean, there's a big 32 kilometer-squared space where all the space combat is happening and you're pitching around and it feels like you might vomit, but [off to the side] there's a little level and that's your actual spaceship. You have a solid, reliable physics system driving what appears to be this six degrees of freedom experience over here [in an entirely separate area]."

I wonder if anyone at CIG feels a bit silly now, or if this was considered and ruled out because it didn't deliver the desired level of "fidelity".

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 06:05:08 pm by MikeRoz »
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Wasn't this how old school spacesims were usually programmed?
I remember something like this being mentioned relative to the engine Totally Games used for X-wing and the other Star Wars spacesims they made. I even remember that the Unity fan-remake of X-wing is using the same trick or something similar.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Instead, Digital Extremes is using an ancient rendering technique called 'portal rendering' which works almost exactly like it does in the puzzle game Portal. Essentially, you create a portal or a window that is attached to somewhere else in 3D space, and when you look through it you see from a different perspective. The cockpit of Warframe's spaceship is actually one big portal into an entirely separate map.

"You just connect the player controls to where that portal is," Sinclair said in our interview. "For Empyrean, there's a big 32 kilometer-squared space where all the space combat is happening and you're pitching around and it feels like you might vomit, but [off to the side] there's a little level and that's your actual spaceship. You have a solid, reliable physics system driving what appears to be this six degrees of freedom experience over here [in an entirely separate area]."

I wonder if anyone at CIG feels a bit silly now, or if this was considered and ruled out because it didn't deliver the desired level of "fidelity".

I am reasonably sure that every programmer involved in that part of the Star Citizen mess knows that this solution exists, knows that it is relatively easy to implement and highly performant, and has been told by Christ Roberts to not do it that way because "no cheating the physics" was an early mandate.

If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

That’s effectively what they did with the ~local physics grids~. A lot of us were saying at the time that it’s a bog standard game physics technique; except as I recall for Kazan, who was telling everyone within earshot that it was an amazing genius breakthrough in programming, and anyone who said differently wasn’t a programmer being paid lots of money and banging lots of women like him.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
See, what you call 2.0 I would rather call 0.2. It is a product that is not complete yet. A preview, not a release. What do I mean by complete? And what do I call a release?
I support and love to death a in-the-making game called Factorio [if you by any chance enjoy creating systems that work on their own, with a little bit of survival and exploration, totally check this out]. It is not a finished product right not. It is currenty in version 0.12. I am following it since 0.9. For this entire period of time, with every release, it has been a complete project.

It is called Star Citizen Alpha 2.0. That is below Star Citizen 1.0. It is not complete yet, nor does it aspire to be.

And I fail to see this need to release something complete when the development is still ongoing. Why do you complain that Star Citizen is not a complete game yet, after only less than 3 years of development?

Vast majority of games do not release anything to the public until the game is more or less done.

And entitled gamers like this (no offense) are the reason why.

Releasing a "finished" product restricts further game development because you have to keep in mind to not break the game for the players and to support the product. It is not a good thing! It is a modern fad. You risk ending up like Elite or Minecraft or multitude of other modern games with open development model that are perpetually stuck in mediocrity. A game that is "finished", stable, yet shallow and the devs are afraid to touch it. Star Citizen does release playable content, but at the same time SC makes it clear that it is heavily WIP, incomplete and buggy. Thats how you do it, the best of both worlds. Too much stability too early is an enemy of effective development.

Do you think SC is not being developed well? Fine, only higher ups ultimately know the truth about that, and we will see sooner or later what the end result is. But complaining that they have not released the game yet just makes you look like you are being impatient and ignorant of game development. They can take their time. There is no need to rush at all.

I just clicked on the link to this post in Matth's sig and it's from four actual linear years ago

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Why do we complain that Star Citizen is not a complete game yet, after only 7 years of development?

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Citizencon came and went. There's a video here starting with the demo:-

To summarise - the ship at the start there, the Carrack, will not be in the next release and is delayed because of course it is. I don't know how long they've been building it, but I definitely recognise it from last year. CR flakes out about buggy screens. There's an empty planet with an empty city.

There's really very little to set it apart from last year's con except this time the coffee maker didn't crash the game. I guess that's sort of progress? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Luis Dias

around 9:12:00 really cool gameplay mechanic stuff there.

Someone remind me:  Was "Fix the coffee maker" one of the stretch goals of the Kickstarter campaign, or was it a core feature?

Offline ShivanSpS

Ultra high poly, 4K resolution GTB Ursa.

They only needed a couple years to find the most effective configuration..

Offline CT27

What do you think will happen with SC in 2020?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Squadron 42 is supposedly due to release this year, but that's all. Star Citizen is still a few years off. I don't see it releasing until at least late 2021.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

"supposedly"

Are they even still working on the game ?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
 :lol: :lol:

Gotta bait those whales so I guess yeeeaaaaaas.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Are they even still working on the game ?

I'd guess that most of the CI staff is just too busy with their RLs right now; I mean traveling takes time, sports cars need a driver, luxury restaurants don't wait forever serving meals...

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Well there is progress but its slow, very slow, it seams. Best part is from one of the devs "if it wasn't for the ongoing alpha we could work faster. Doing a quarterly release takes so much time".
So the biggest feature, the"live" development now comes around to bite them?
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"