Author Topic: BETA/RELEASE: Bringing the maximum out of the game  (Read 35078 times)

Re: BETA/RELEASE: Bringing the maximum out of the game
Hellgate will run (and the framerate lags a little, but not much, at the beginning and gets much better with the destruction of ships), but Battle for Vasuda will not show up in the mission list when I put it in my Missions folder.  In fact, looking at it, nothing in there with the extension .bak shows up in the game, so how about an .fs2 file?  

Incidentally, my computer has the following specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 @ 1.86 GHz
Graphics: Integrated, baby.   :pimp:
2 GB DDR2 1.87 GHz RAM

Apparently the graphics requirements aren't so extreme as advertised.   :lol:

Edit:  Never mind, apparently simply renaming the file works.  Why does Alpha 1 have no shields?  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:54:48 pm by Renegade Paladin »
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

The Eri you get given at the start has some kind of ULTRA INVULNERABLE armour that barely even gets scratched by the big demon/ravana beams...
Makes the mission possible though!
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

That was the most awesome 20 minutes of my life.  It ran reasonably smoothly on my brand new 27" i5-based iMac with 4 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM, a 512 MB Radeon 4850 driving 2560x1440, a 1 TB hard drive and the Advanced MediaVP effects for about 20 minutes until FreeSpace crashed.  I've never had FreeSpace 3.6.10 crash on me and I've played through the campaign three times since the upgrade.  Given storyline integration and perhaps some more logical capship movements, these could be even more incredible missions than they already are.  The Vasuda mission was particularly fun.

Also, it's unsettling when you fire a volley of Tornadoes, three come out and four disappear from the HUD indicator.   :wtf:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Welcome to a basic introduction of "why you shouldn't put that many objects in-game". There's a hard limit regarding how many objects may be active at any point in time. Go over it, and the game becomes unable to render those supernumerary objects.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Didn't crash out on me, though I quit when it was just me, Delta 1, the Deliverance, and the SD Madness, and the Deliverance wouldn't engage; it's last waypoint had it bearing down right on the Shivan destroyer, and then stopping five kilometers out.  (The Madness was disabled by the Vasudans before I got there, so maybe it would have been closer otherwise.)  I got sick of plinking away at it, so I just jumped out. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The Eri you get given at the start has some kind of ULTRA INVULNERABLE armour that barely even gets scratched by the big demon/ravana beams...
Makes the mission possible though!

Special HP?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Nuclear1

Ma tete a explode.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Trying to talk French or something ? It's "Ma tête a explosé".
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Nuclear1

Yeah...forgot that "explode" = "explose" en francais.

Plus I'm too lazy to find the accents :p
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Didn't crash out on me, though I quit when it was just me, Delta 1, the Deliverance, and the SD Madness, and the Deliverance wouldn't engage; it's last waypoint had it bearing down right on the Shivan destroyer, and then stopping five kilometers out.  (The Madness was disabled by the Vasudans before I got there, so maybe it would have been closer otherwise.)  I got sick of plinking away at it, so I just jumped out.  

Sounds like a pretty humorous situation between the two capships there; Glad it ran well for you all the way up till then. I guess my testing didnt go too bad. ^^

Quote from: Gavin83209
That was the most awesome 20 minutes of my life.  It ran reasonably smoothly on my brand new 27" i5-based iMac with 4 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM, a 512 MB Radeon 4850 driving 2560x1440, a 1 TB hard drive and the Advanced MediaVP effects for about 20 minutes until FreeSpace crashed.  I've never had FreeSpace 3.6.10 crash on me and I've played through the campaign three times since the upgrade.  Given storyline integration and perhaps some more logical capship movements, these could be even more incredible missions than they already are.  The Vasuda mission was particularly fun.

I'm glad you enjoyed the missions, and i agree -- It needs a bit more improvement here and there, but i've gotten so busy with other daily stuff that, as i wrote in the OP, these projects got on the backburner. As said, feel free to continue with it, edit it, and even re-release it =)

The E, agreed; when going past that set amount of objects going on at the same time, effects disappear, but they still seem to hit their objectives. It works, but when having that many ships, the player character shouldn't be tasked with chasing fighters or bombs for instance.

At any rate, I hope a lot of people enjoy the missions; Feel free to point out what you liked and/or didnt like, so i can use that for future projects. Thanks in advance!

- JC
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:19:29 pm by JCDNWarrior »
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
That might sounds pretty idiot, or maybe redudant since i didn't bother to read more than the first page and half of the second, but here's what i think of BoE :
It's all about the mission background, i don't think those missions should be real mega-battles.

IMO you should either have:
 - Super large objectives, command over most of squads, let the player handle the whole battle the way he wants - more like a commander than a pilot - but also includes some kind of storyline (the first of the 2 videos looked nice imo, but the second looked like you just threw ships here and there and pressed the beam-free-all button)
or
 - Super specific objectives, making the whole BoE stuff more like a background and storyline tool, eg. the BoE battle from Transcend, where you basically only got to protect your ship iirc. It's just a "get through the boe hell" though, which sounds really boring to me...

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
There are different ways to do it, as I outlined on the first page. It all depends on the story the campaign's going to tell. I for one wouldn't object to at least one BoE mission in a campaign. :P

So after about an hour of trying to remember where to save files so that they'll show up in the simulator, i'm turning here... where do i dump the file so that it shows up?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
blueplanet/data/missions.

Or simply /data/missions.  That's what I did, though I have to be careful to have BP on when I try to play them. 

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Or simply /data/missions.  That's what I did, though I have to be careful to have BP on when I try to play them. 
Don't put anything in \data\. Generally inadvisable - Relatively harmless with missions (unless you try play them) - but utterly disastrous with anything else.

Offline -Sara-

Would love to try, running a i7 920, 12GB RAM, HD5970 2GB vidcard. Would be great to stress-test the PC in freespace!
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Don't put anything in \data\. Generally inadvisable - Relatively harmless with missions (unless you try play them) - but utterly disastrous with anything else.
Doesn't seem to have destroyed my computer yet, and since that's where FRED saves things I didn't think it could conceivably hurt (the game doesn't know where the file came from), but I'll move it since you say so...

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Well, it has the potential to **** **** up.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I donno man, I just shove all my mod-less missions in data cause its easier that way.
I know well enough to not try and run them with a mod.

EDIT: though this does require a mod and in that case should just go into the mod folder/data/missions.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================