Author Topic: Let's Play some more Dwarf Fortress, HLP! (Check the first post for a roster)  (Read 22952 times)

Offline watsisname

Re: Let's Play some more Dwarf Fortress, HLP!
I'm okay with being a basic, and if I can get a war hammer that'd be awesome.  Dwarf want smash!
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Hobbie the Starting Seven Mechanic requires an AXE for CHOPPING.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Picking right back up. Things are generally looking pretty good for Peakwind. We're sitting at a population of around 160 with plentiful food, drink, and nice rooms for everybody. Now if only we could get some iron and arm up the populace...

Start this session off right, with a mood!

Behold the glory of a legendary headscarf!

This guy really put a lot of work into this. So, apparently the first king of our civilization was a vampire. After seeing that little tidbit on this artifact, I do a cursory scan for vampires among Peakwind's population. Vampirism cannot be detected directly, but because they are ageless, vampires will immigrate with extreme skill levels and a LOT of former associations. Near as I can tell, we're free of bloodsuckers.

Oh wait, I was talking about iron? My hunch was extremely correct- Peakwind is indeed sitting on a motherlode of hematite ore.

"A sword for every dwarf" is a great political promise, but our metalworkers need another focus right at the moment- a gravity blender. I order two more magma forges built and a LOT of iron/copper trap weapons turned out. The drop on this blender is a little shallow for my tastes at the moment, but improving the trap will be an ongoing project.

Oho, a child has a big idea now!

Epic wooden crown to stick it to the elves, and Peakwind will have another legendary woodcrafter once this kid comes of age.

Well, it had to happen eventually. Good news is that the siege is pretty small, about two dozen crossbow troopers led by a mounted spearmaster.

And shortly after, an Ettin (two-headed giant) decides to join the fun! Which was a really bad move for the Ettin.

The giant and the gobbos start fighting. After a bit of back-and-forth, a couple goblins are dead, and the Ettin perishes after taking dozens of bolts.

The goblins get bored and leave after a couple of months, and a caravan from the Mountainhomes follows a few weeks later. We trade away some of dsockwell's masterful cooking and some otherwise-useless craft goods for a bounty of wood, food, booze, and other useful things.

Shortly thereafter, a Matlecrafter (umbrella term for Clothier and/or Leatherworker) starts to obsess over a project.

Our Mantlecrafter crafts a leather low boot fit for a dwarven rap superstar. So much bling!

The gravity blender progresses. Because I'm a mean SoB ruthless defender of the fort, the weapon traps get progressively stronger as one advances down the spiral. At the moment, there's nothing after the spiral, but I'd be truly impressed if anything actually manages to reach the stairs in the middle there.

The history of Peakwind will be paved with artifacts, apparently. Now a Bowyer wants to try something.

Oh god, recursive weapon artifact! If an enemy gets to close to this weapon's wielder, our dwarf can just get the invader to look closely at the crossbow. The invader will be mystified by the recursive decoration long enough to let our trooper clobber him. (I may have made some of that up.)

This time, a siege won't slow us down or trap us underground.

Well, that would have sounded a lot more badass if the gravity blender were ready right when the invaders showed up. The final stretch here will take quite some time to set up- each unfinished trap is loaded with the maximum ten weapons. In this case, the weapons are master-crafted giant iron spikes. Hobbie, dekkerson, and the other Machinists work round-the-clock to set up the traps.

I created a secondary entrance to the fort between the sieges and secured the entrance with a drawbridge. Once the traps are ready, I order all civilians back inside, lock the doors and lower the bridge. The goblins, trolls, and other horrid creatures begin their march into Peakwind's halls...

And the dumb brutes get mulched, most before even reaching the blender proper. The siege turns and flees after suffering about 15% casualties, mostly trolls and all KIA with extreme prejudice. Once the last smelly goblin flees the map, I allow the Machinists to pry the bits of troll (blue blood) and goblin out of the jammed traps, and everybody else scoops up the abandoned weapons and gear. I call the blender a success!

Oh **** me. Always something. Apparently at some point, a Matlecrafter decided to try and make something, but I forgot about him and he really didn't like that. And he's going to express his disapproval via axemurder.

Who'd have thought the ****er had so much blood in him? Before finally being put down through the combined efforts of the Diggers, and a ramshackle squad of Woodcutters, Obok McAxemurder claimed 8 lives, including his own child and redsniperson. DeeJayson took a bad hit in the arm, but will keep the limb. Lorric lost a foot and permanently requires a crutch now, but is otherwise fully capable of still working. The Diggers really took it on the chin as the first responders- most of the dead were miners who tried to fight the berserker. I draft a few dwarves with fringe skills into the ranks of the Diggers to recoup our losses.

Never again. The Armed Citizen Initiative is now the top priority. With about half the fort's 184 dwarves babies or children, we need more immediate-response capability. Yes, I acknowledge that arming all adults does potentially increase the risk of contagious violence, and ups the ante even more in preventing insanity, but I think that distribution of armor and weapons will allow us better damage-control ability. Oh, and having doors on all workshops compatible with moods. D'oh.

Litany of the Fallen:
Scourgeson, slain by a goblin ambush
Polpolionson, drowned after falling through melting ice (body unrecoverable)
redsniperson, slain by a crazed fellow dwarf

Edit: added the Litany
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 12:20:01 pm by IronBeer »
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Noooooooooooooooo, redsniperson!

So many dead, and not even a single hell-beast to do us in.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Ooh this looks fun. 

If I might, I'd like to throw my name into the mixer as a Siege Engineer.

And for the ACI I'd like to request medium class with preference to swords.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Patriot

HAHAHAHA, take that besiegers! now all your weapons r blong to us!

So no awesome stuff coming out of my hands huh :(

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
So no awesome stuff coming out of my hands huh :(

Actually quite a bit of awesome stuff.

I've had you in for a while, I just forgot to post your profile. You're currently one of Peakwind's two legendary-level Weaponcrafters. (And, yes, "Metalworker" is another of those umbrella terms I use for organization in Dwarf Therapist)

Also, I've had Scotty in for a while. I don't remember why I forgot to post these.

After the incident with the berserker, Scotty is the only legendary-level Miner in Wallbones, max-level at the coveted "legendary+5" level. There are a good number of less-skilled Miners under Scotty's command, but he's got more job XP than all of them combined. Scotty is also the replacement Manager following redsniperson's demise. Managers are really important in a big fort like Peakwind, since they let me handle large numbers of crafting/work orders with less effort.

@esarai, I'll get you in the next time I play. I think I've got an unnamed Siege Engineer running around somewhere, but if Medium kit slows you down too much, I'm gonna bounce you to Basic-plus.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 12:22:05 pm by IronBeer »

Offline Lorric

Lorric lost a foot and permanently requires a crutch now

:eek2:  :shaking: :sigh: :( 

Apparently at some point, a Matlecrafter decided to try and make something, but I forgot about him and he really didn't like that. And he's going to express his disapproval via axemurder.

THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!!  :hopping: :mad2: :mad:

-

:lol:

Obok McAxemurder claimed 8 lives

I'm just happy to still be alive under those circumstances!  :D

The Diggers really took it on the chin as the first responders- most of the dead were miners who tried to fight the berserker.

I hope I got some good hits in on that mad-dwarf for you  :)

RIP Redsniperson  :(

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Don't worry, your foot will be put to good use

Like the crutch you're using
"No"

Offline Patriot

Woo, LEGENDARY!!!!

<3

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
It's my gravity blender. MY GRAVITY BLENDER!

Fools! They called me MAD! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
:(
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
I haven't hammerer-ed anyone yet. So disappointed. ): Someone commit a crime so I can cave in your skull!

Offline Lorric

I haven't hammerer-ed anyone yet. So disappointed. ): Someone commit a crime so I can cave in your skull!

Where were you when I was losing my foot?  :D

:(

Perhaps you saved my life... :)

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
RIP redsniperson, that was a nasty way to go :(
Habeeb it...

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
In light of recent events and the sizeable list of the deceased (there are a lot more dead than just the three Named), I think this is a good time to have a little discussion about funerary rites.

Dwarves are going to die. Despite any level of attention and care I try to provide, mistakes will be made and unforeseeable things will happen. Therefore, it is prudent to have an established system for dealing with Peakwind's fallen.

Here's what I'm thinking. Everybody can choose a funeral method (which I will detail shortly) and whatever embellishments they may want on their final memorial/resting place (material and decorations for memorial stone/coffin for a basic burial).

The funeral methods I'm thinking are:
1.) Simple burial. Body is recovered and placed into a coffin in the as-yet-unbuilt Hall of History. Common dwarves will be guaranteed, at minimum, space for a coffin and a memorial stone. All fallen will receive at least a memorial slab to prevent angry ghosts from appearing.
2.) Cremation A. A chamber for magma cremation will be established, and the used magma will return to the magma pipe, re-uniting the honored dwarf with the flames and the earth for all eternity.
3.) Cremation B. Magma cremation will be performed, but the used magma will be piped into the network that fuels the magma forges. The fallen dwarf's spirit will live on as an eternal part of Peakwind, and his spirit will find indirect vengeance by helping to forge new weapons and armor.

A memorial slab is not negotiable, since a cenotaph (ceremonial empty coffin used for destroyed/unrecoverable bodies) is not enough to suppress ghost arrivals. Cremation demands explicit approval from the owner of the fallen dwarf, owing to its irreversible nature. Owners of a dwarf whose body is irretrievable or lost may decide whether they want a cenotaph or not.

Upon special request, or at my discretion, fallen dwarves may be granted a personalized tomb. The fanciness of said tomb will be tied to the awesomeness or a dwarf in life and/or the "heroicness" of their death.

EDIT: After Phantom Hoover made a rather specific funeral request, I've decided to take two actions. First, there is now a new burial option:
4) Obsidianization. Initially similar to both types of cremation, the soul-laden magma will be flash-solidified to obsidian rather than piped elsewhere. Said obsidian can then be crafted into a stone item of some sort, even including a shortsword (be forewarned, however, that obsidian is a ...lackluster material compared to any metals). It would be best to make mention of what item your lithified remains should be crafted into.

Secondly, I'm generally willing to accept ideas for unique burial methods that differ from those previously stated, so long as the method wouldn't require a ridiculously extravagant expenditure of labor and resources.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:43:20 am by IronBeer »

If I die, let's go with Cremation A.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Patriot

Cremation B for me :)

Offline Lorric

I'll take Cremation B.

Make sure my foot goes in there as well...  :)

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Hobbie wants a Burial, with a headstone that reads "Goblins: Yes, they blend!"