Author Topic: WiH problem with solar destroyer  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
WiH problem with solar destroyer
I had a detailed post explaining everything I could think of about my problem, but the board ate it.  Instead of spending 20 minutes trying to re-create that, I'll just post the screenshot and then do the details if they are needed.

The quick of it is, when the solar destroyer (what's it called again?) jumped in at the blockade-running mission with the Hood, the game locked up for a good 20 seconds, and when it came back, I was staring at what you see in the shots and getting about 2 fps.  I used all the advanced VPs, both 3.6.12 and BP ones, I have the update for AoA, and my system specs are AMD 5600+ running at ~3.2ghz, 2gb ram, ati hd4850, windows xp.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: WiH problem with solar destroyer
Is it reproduceable?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You know what to do, mate.
* General Battuta waits for the debug log

Offline Darius

Sounds like your GPU overheating. I had that exact same thing happen to me not too long ago...

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Deep.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Is it reproduceable?

i'm REALLY burned out on playing right now, later tonight i'll give it another go with the debug build.  i did discover that i had post-processing enabled and turned that off.  maybe that will help with performance in general.

EDIT: did not reproduce with the debug build, but performance was pretty attrocious around the same area of the mission.  are the BP models really that much more demanding than the standard MVP ones, or is something maybe wrong with my config?  do you still want the log even though it didn't wig out this time?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:12:06 am by Klaustrophobia »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
are the BP models really that much more demanding than the standard MVP ones

Yes. Because they have awful awful optimization. Except the Solaris which is well-optimized.

or is something maybe wrong with my config?  do you still want the log even though it didn't wig out this time?

If you want to post it go ahead, otherwise no worries. Pastebin or code tags plz.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
hmm.  no log.  its supposed to be in the root FS2 folder right?  is there something i could have screwed up that told it not to save a log?
found it in /data  :nervous: 
apparantly it's too big to put in code tags, so what is pastebin and how do i use it?

and as for the solaris, that is the main one causing the slowdown.  i was hitting single digit FPS with the solaris present, and it wasn't always when i was looking at it.  other ships cause unpleasantries, but nothing quite so drastic.  it's more like a little skip as they swing past my view.  unless maybe the debug build runs significantly slower?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:49:03 am by Klaustrophobia »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
hmm.  no log.  its supposed to be in the root FS2 folder right?  is there something i could have screwed up that told it not to save a log?

and as for the solaris, that is the main one causing the slowdown.  i was hitting single digit FPS with the solaris present, and it wasn't always when i was looking at it.  other ships cause unpleasantries, but nothing quite so drastic.  it's more like a little skip as they swing past my view.  unless maybe the debug build runs significantly slower?

It's in FreeSpace2/data/

If the Solaris is killing you then remove the advanced VPs from your blueplanet2 folder to somewhere safe. The Solaris is one of the most detailed models ever put into FS despite its optimization.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
how much of a visual hit is that going to give me?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
With specs like yours, you shouldn't have any issues with Solaris. However, I see that you've complained about performance issues with only the new mediavps as well. Which indicates this is probably a problem on your end.

You may want to post in FS Support board to get troubleshooting underway.

Offline -Sara-

"That's no moon, that's a battlestation." ;)

On a serious note, the new FSO version has been funky for me too, on occasion when I alt+tab too often it seems to make my screen blood-red when I stare in the sun or a dull grey when I face certain background plants.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
On a serious note, the new FSO version has been funky for me too, on occasion when I alt+tab too often it seems to make my screen blood-red when I stare in the sun or a dull grey when I face certain background plants.

My professional advice as a SCP developer is "Don't do that, then".
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

I get that too at times. Are you on an ATI card?

[...]I used all the advanced VPs, both 3.6.12 and BP ones [...]
Removing those should give a performance boost.

Offline -Sara-

An HD5970, yea.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

An HD5970, yea.

I think it's an ATI problem with FSOpen.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
The AOD (Artifact of Death) Solaris strikes again, this time in the closing cutscene.  It actually started before anything was visible, i noticed the music cutting in and out, and then when the planet fades up that it was moving at about .3 fps.  I turned the debug build off, so nothing there.

I just realized that I haven't heard my vid card's fan spin up ever while playing.  I think the latest drivers may have broken somthing in overdrive, which seems to be what controls the fan speed.  The 'test custom clocks' button doesn't work either.  I'll dry rolling back the driver.  If that fails, are there any other courses of action anyone can think of other than disable advanced?  I really don't think this should be happening.  I ran AoA just fine on 3.6.10, I can't imagine the demand would have increased THAT much.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
With your PC specs that really shouldn't be happening. People with much lower specs are playing without any issues. I don't think this is a problem with BP assets.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I'm getting the gist from the review thread (just started reading it due to spoilers) that there is significant stuff in the end cutscene.  I'm not going to have to play through the campaign again to see it am I?