Author Topic: C&C3; Welcome Back, Commander!  (Read 10117 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
C&C3; Welcome Back, Commander!
http://www.ea.com/official/cc/cc3/us/index.jsp

I hope this is good. I really really do.

Offline ME$$ENGER

• The Yellow Peril
Re: C&C3; Welcome Back, Commander!
Looking at Generals, I have a feeling it's going to suck though. The original westwood is pretty much non-existent today.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
let's hope they bring back the side bar.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Looking at Generals, I have a feeling it's going to suck though. The original westwood is pretty much non-existent today.
Generals was in every sense not a C&C game. It had the title, but it was a completely different game. It wasn't in the same universe, it was a drastically different playstyle, and it has utterly no commonality with any other C&C title whatsoever other than the prefix "Command & Conquer" in its title.

C&C3 on the other hand has the sidebar, it's in the tiberium universe, and it's now back to the usual playstyle we all know and love. Hopefully, it'll be ace... but then, this is an EA game we're talking about, so i'm thinking it'll be mediocre, but still quite playable.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
So far it looks good. We'll see.

EA does on occasion rise above itself...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
If the gameplay will only be half as good as the graphics I've seen yet, and if the original GDI / NOD feelings come back again, I'm sure that this will be a great game. I'm a little concerned over systemspecs though, such games I don't want to play in less than 1280x1024x32, I hope the performance is good enough for that
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline ME$$ENGER

• The Yellow Peril
I read a PC gamer scan a while back. It contains some pretty funny "background" information the designers came up with for C&C 3. The funniest thing is they claimed that they hired a team from MIT to get the "scientific" stuff done right.  :lol: Frankly that whole concept looked just like when George Lucas tried to explain the "force" deal in SW EP1.

Offline Nuclear1

Generals was in every sense not a C&C game. It had the title, but it was a completely different game. It wasn't in the same universe, it was a drastically different playstyle, and it has utterly no commonality with any other C&C title whatsoever other than the prefix "Command & Conquer" in its title.

I dunno, it could very well have been. After all, the USA's Particle Beam in Generals could very well be some predecessor to the Ion Cannon, and the GLA in Generals could have evolved into NOD along the way.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline ME$$ENGER

• The Yellow Peril
I dunno, it could very well have been. After all, the USA's Particle Beam in Generals could very well be some predecessor to the Ion Cannon, and the GLA in Generals could have evolved into NOD along the way.

Well, the problem is that those worked on Generals are most likely those that are working on C&C 3. Generals is NOT a bad game BTW. It just doesn't have the C&C feeling (or rather, the westwood RTS feeling). Plus IMO it's cheesy.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
No, it couldn't. The Tiberium universe of TD and TS began with Red Alert 1 [meaning Einstein is to blame for the Tiberium Wars], as at the end of RA, you see Kane knock out the Soviet Leadership. Red Alert 2 was a bastard-child universe produced to make money, and while it was actually a pretty damned good entry into the series, it completely screwed up continuity and effectively branched the RA universe off from the Tiberium universe. So really, i'm not entirely sure if RA is still a prequel to TD.

Basically, RA [most likely] takes place around the late 50's/60's or so [correct me if i'm wrong, i've not played the game in years], with TD taking place in the mid 90's, and TS & Firestorm taking place early 21st Century. C&C3 will take place few years directly after Firestorm, quite obviously. Generals specifically states that the story takes place in, what, 2020? Considering the first war between GDI and NOD was raging in the mid 90's, and Tiberium had already spread across a large portion of the planet by 2010, it's pretty obvious that Generals might just be little out of place.

Like I said, different gameplay, different universe, not a ****ing C&C game.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 07:40:59 pm by Mefustae »

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Generals was a great game in my opinion.  I still play it.  The 3D engine was a pretty big leap for the C&C series and it made it intact.  Quite unlike Dark Reign 2 which went overboard with the 3D and it killed it off as an effective RTS competitor.  It doesn't have the Tiberian Dawn or Red Alert qualities but it was pretty good.  It wasn't strictly C&C but it still felt pretty good.

I for one am glad for the return to the Tiberium storyline.  C&C3 is something that I've been waiting to see for a while.   The gameplay looks fast and furious. It brings back the MCV (not in Generals) and the interface shown in the two IGN gameplay videos looks great.  Its back to the sidebar but the sidebar is largely invisible when you don't need it.  Fully taking advantage of translucent and transparent interface abilities that we really haven't been able to do until the last few years (IMHO Generals should have used it but didn't).  So I'm impressed.

Frankly Tiberian Dawn was a genius game dripping with RTS near future atmosphere.  Red Alert took it to the next level and the game was incredible for atmosphere and style.  The music in particular was fantastic.  C&C 2 Tiberian Sun was a bit of a letdown.  The final game engine never looked nearly as good as the first screen shots released...the gameplay was slow...the music was largely boring.  I was never as impressed.  It was never as fun as Red Alert or Tiberian Dawn.  Red Alert 2 made something of a comeback...it was far better than Tiberian Sun for gameplay and they spruced the engine up.  Had some great units too!  But it lost some of the atmosphere of the original Red Alert.

Looking for a rennaisance here...we'll see if we get it.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Looks like it might be fun. Generals was great for the modding scene, by the way. Hopefully this will be the same.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Well, things are certainly looking up for C&C3.

Main C&C3 Website, with plenty of the usual tidbits; trailers, screenies, etc.

A few neat gameplay videos care of IGN, depicting the return of the much-loved sidebar, some nice insights into gameplay [such as how everything is a lot more fast-paced than TD], and "silos needed" apparently. God I miss that voiceover.

And finally, the return of the Messiah!!

Kane Lives!!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 09:27:52 am by Mefustae »

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
somebody give the man lvlshot tags!
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The technology of Peace.

KANE LIVES IN DEATH !!!!!!!

Although Eva has the sexiest voice, The blonde from Nod is so much more pleasing on the eye......

I thought this was old news, btw.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Oh, by just over a bloody day! Gimme a break, just checked PCNC for the first time in few weeks. :rolleyes:

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
Oh, by just over a bloody day! Gimme a break, just checked PCNC for the first time in few weeks. :rolleyes:

be nice, this is the first time he's been back to HLP for a while  :P
   //Warning\\

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Touché, my friend. Tou-bloody-ché! :D

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
........................... ::)

http://planetcnc.gamespy.com/static.php?page=CnC3&game=10

The game takes place in 2047.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
The technology of Peace.

KANE LIVES IN DEATH !!!!!!!

Although Eva has the sexiest voice, The blonde from Nod is so much more pleasing on the eye......

I thought this was old news, btw.

I don't know... I thought Eva in RA2 was rather... ermm...  :cool:
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock