Author Topic: Hopefully quick question re: shockwave effects  (Read 1461 times)

Hopefully quick question re: shockwave effects
I have the 3.6.9 build of Freespace Open, the 5.5 launcher, pretty much all the new stuff.  (I followed HuggyBaby's install guide about two weeks ago back when he had the big long one).  Everything works great, except I'm still seeing huge slowdowns when there are shockwaves from ships exploding.

The fix for this appears to be putting the file shockwave3d.tga file in the Freespace2/Data/Effects folder.  Unfortunately, I don't HAVE that folder.  I'm putting in screenshots of my root folder and my data folder and hopefully ya'll can tell me how I'm an idiot and what I should to do fix this.  I tried hunting around for any info on this but frankly, at this point there's so many different installers out there I don't even know if what I did two weeks ago is even valid anymore. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Hopefully quick question re: shockwave effects
How about just creating the missing data path..

Also if you encounter slowdowns try playing without adveffects mediavp file.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
The shockwave in the media vps is overiding the lesser shockwave, which needs to be placed in your mediavps/data/effects folder. If you don't have this folder in there then create it.  :yes:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

No affect, unfortunately it's still slowing down when there's big explosions.  I had no idea I could just create the missing folder though, I'd figured there was other stuff in it too and I'd somehow fudged up the installation process in the first place.  Thanks for the info on that.

I guess I am gonna have to just ditch the Adveffects stuff.  It's a bummer, it does seem to be ONLY the shockwave stuff that does it, otherwise it's been running in 1280x800 mode with all the effects turned on without any issues. 

Then again, I AM running a Pentium M 1.7 with a Mobility X600 and a gig of RAM.  That probably falls pretty short of what's required to run the adveffects stuff, huh?  Oh well, thanks for the help anyways guys.  :)

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
No affect, unfortunately it's still slowing down when there's big explosions.  I had no idea I could just create the missing folder though, I'd figured there was other stuff in it too and I'd somehow fudged up the installation process in the first place.  Thanks for the info on that.

I guess I am gonna have to just ditch the Adveffects stuff.  It's a bummer, it does seem to be ONLY the shockwave stuff that does it, otherwise it's been running in 1280x800 mode with all the effects turned on without any issues. 

Then again, I AM running a Pentium M 1.7 with a Mobility X600 and a gig of RAM.  That probably falls pretty short of what's required to run the adveffects stuff, huh?  Oh well, thanks for the help anyways guys.  :)

Not really! I'm using the same chip with half the amount of ram and I mostly get a stutter with the shockwaves. (But then I think I'm just seeing their beauty in slow motion  :drevil:  :lol: )
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline CKid

I hate the stockwave slowdowns. Ever since I add the mv_adveffects, I get some lag when a capship goes down, and when a SSD or SJ goes down its like 10 seconds of 5 fps. I got a AMD 64 1.8 Ghz, Geforce 6600 128mb card, and 2 gigs of Ram. Should I be getting that much lag or could it be something else? 
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

There was a new ad_effects VP posted here http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,44757.0.html that solved the shockwave slowdown issue for me perfectly.