Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > FS2 Open Coding - The Source Code Project (SCP)

RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]

<< < (3/115) > >>

Zacam:
Looking through the code package, I have a few suggestions. They might be annoying and you might not like re-doing a lot of stuff, but:

Organization. Separate the code files for each of the distinctive tabs/etc into sub-folders with a defined folder for anything global and another for any includes. Just having it all sitting in the root of /code/ can make it interesting to situate which file does what, often despite the fact that they have fairly clarifying names to them.

This way, expansion on existing features can take place with additional files with sub-folders or the primary Global folder. It will also make for situating various "project" environment files easier.

ChronoReverse:
A way to group and filter the list of mods would be nice too.  Like a textbox, for example, where I can type in "BL" and then the list would only show mods that contain "BL" (with different priorities: name starting > name contains > description starting > description contains).

Another idea would be a Multiplayer page which would let people see who's waiting for a game and/or is logged in.  At the very least a 2.0 (if not 3.0 lol) idea but might as well dream big.

Bobboau:
I have not looked at the source but from what I see in the executable you need to use sizers, it will make your interface a lot cleaner and dynamic.

also make the play button a lot bigger and prominent.

karajorma:
How exactly is skinning supposed to work? Create a resources directory in the game's folder?

Iss Mneur:

--- Quote from: The E on February 05, 2010, 04:07:24 am ---[snip]

There are several things going wrong here. Why is the feature list using a different (extremely ugly) font, and not the system default one? Why is the preset selector not rendered correctly? Why doesn't the current commandline text field show the entire current commandline, including the -mod arguments?

--- End quote ---
The font is because it was reverted so that it is working, but it will have a much better presentation when finished.

--- Quote from: The E on February 05, 2010, 04:07:24 am ---Oh, and the links on the Welcome page should probably be to the Hard-Light Wiki and the Hard-Light Forums. There are a few different FS2 forums out there, and even though HLP is the biggest, we are not the only ones :)
While we're on the subject of links, please provide one to the Troubleshooting FAQ.

--- End quote ---
The URL of the Troubleshooting FAQ is?  I was only aware of gamewarden as being the only other active FS2 site, though at that this launcher is specific to the SCP's FS2Open.

--- Quote from: The E on February 05, 2010, 04:07:24 am ---The image retrieval code does not seem to be able to handle a nested mod folder structure. In this case, both "Blue Planet" and "Blue Planet 2" should show images, they don't.
The folder structure looks like this:
blueplanetsvn\
---blueplanet -> For AoA
---blueplanet2 -> For Wih

When using the mod.ini for one of the mod folders, the Launcher mangles the -mod argument beyond recognition:

This is the mod.ini used:

--- Code: ---# PLEASE NOTE ALL INI SETTINGS ARE *OPTIONAL*

# modname:       Display name only, so you can have spaces instead of underscores for multi word MOD's
# image255x112:  Location of a 255x112 bmp you wish to display in the launcher
# infotext:      Text that will appear in the launcher
# website:       Link to your website
# forum:         Link to your forum
[launcher]
modname      = Blue Planet SVN;
infotext     = no_advanced;
website      = http://blueplanet.hard-light.net;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,169.0.html;
[multimod]
primarylist  = blueplanetSVN;
secondarylist = blueplanetSVN\extras\radaricons,blueplanetSVN\test_bp2,blueplanetSVN\blueplanet2,blueplanetSVN\test_bp,blueplanetSVN\blueplanet,mediavps;
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---
I was not aware that FSO even supported paths in the -mod line.

--- Quote from: Aardwolf on February 05, 2010, 02:04:10 pm ---Installer screws up royally if I try to put it in C:\Games\wxLauncher... the launcher can't find the splash screen, then keels over dead. Works fine if I install it to the default place, though.

This is on Windows 7 (Premium)

--- End quote ---
I have not been able to reproduce this using the installer from the downloads page.  Can you please list your procedure how you got to this error?

--- Quote from: Zacam on February 05, 2010, 03:12:08 pm ---Looking through the code package, I have a few suggestions. They might be annoying and you might not like re-doing a lot of stuff, but:

Organization. Separate the code files for each of the distinctive tabs/etc into sub-folders with a defined folder for anything global and another for any includes. Just having it all sitting in the root of /code/ can make it interesting to situate which file does what, often despite the fact that they have fairly clarifying names to them.

This way, expansion on existing features can take place with additional files with sub-folders or the primary Global folder. It will also make for situating various "project" environment files easier.

--- End quote ---
Reorgainzing the code layout has been considered, but at this time I do not see the benefit especially with the names of the files.

--- Quote from: ChronoReverse on February 05, 2010, 05:36:17 pm ---A way to group and filter the list of mods would be nice too.  Like a textbox, for example, where I can type in "BL" and then the list would only show mods that contain "BL" (with different priorities: name starting > name contains > description starting > description contains).

--- End quote ---
Hmm, interesting idea.

--- Quote from: ChronoReverse on February 05, 2010, 05:36:17 pm ---Another idea would be a Multiplayer page which would let people see who's waiting for a game and/or is logged in.  At the very least a 2.0 (if not 3.0 lol) idea but might as well dream big.

--- End quote ---
Does multi-player even have support for this type of thing?  Nevertheless, it is defiantly something for the future.

--- Quote from: Bobboau on February 05, 2010, 08:03:42 pm ---I have not looked at the source but from what I see in the executable you need to use sizers, it will make your interface a lot cleaner and dynamic.

also make the play button a lot bigger and prominent.

--- End quote ---
We are using sizers (everywhere actually) , which is why some of the elements are so flattened against each other as the sizers do not have any boarders set.  What specifically were you thinking was not done with sizers?

--- Quote from: karajorma on February 05, 2010, 09:02:39 pm ---How exactly is skinning supposed to work? Create a resources directory in the game's folder?

--- End quote ---
The mod.ini and the tc's mod.ini ( a mod.ini in the root of the TC folder) are supposed to configure the launcher's skin (mostly just the icons, fonts and colours), but this support is not implemented so, currently the only way to reskin is to change the resources in the launchers resource folder and/or making changes to the defaults in SkinSystem.cpp.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version