Author Topic: The Darkest Dawn is Cleared for Launch  (Read 184982 times)

Offline Cyker

Re: The Darkest Dawn is Cleared for Launch
Thanks for the info :)

's good to know that's a possibility but not for me I'm afraid :(

Anyhoo, my attempts to get WCSaga to work in 2k have hit a brick wall (The exe isn't even recognised as a Win32 application! :wtf:  Is that VC2010 I smell?!  :lol:) but apparently someone's gotten WCSaga working with wine so I may give that a go...!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I suppose you could see if Dependency Walker can find all of the required files that WCSaga would need..  I've used it before, and it's quite impressive.

Dependency Walker is a free utility that scans any 32-bit or 64-bit Windows module (exe, dll, ocx, sys, etc.) and builds a hierarchical tree diagram of all dependent modules. For each module found, it lists all the functions that are exported by that module, and which of those functions are actually being called by other modules. Another view displays the minimum set of required files, along with detailed information about each file including a full path to the file, base address, version numbers, machine type, debug information, and more.

Dependency Walker is also very useful for troubleshooting system errors related to loading and executing modules. Dependency Walker detects many common application problems such as missing modules, invalid modules, import/export mismatches, circular dependency errors, mismatched machine types of modules, and module initialization failures.

Dependency Walker runs on Windows 95, 98, Me, NT, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, and 7. It can process any 32-bit or 64-bit Windows module, including ones designed for Windows CE. It can be run as graphical application or as a console application. Dependency Walker handles all types of module dependencies, including implicit, explicit (dynamic / runtime), forwarded, delay-loaded, and injected. A detailed help is included.

Dependency Walker is completely free to use. However, you may not profit from the distribution of it, nor may you bundle it with another product.

Offline Cyker

Well the funny thing is I already used OldCigarettes' win2kgaming hacks to take care of the XP dependencies in the exe, so I suspect the problem is it's been compiled by VC2010 with the compile targets set for only newer versions of Windows which requires more effort to bypass; I'm more inclined to wait for the Linux version (Assuming there will be one!) or for native SCP support as it'll probably take me longer to get it working than to complete the campaign :lol:

Also, it's the Revision 2012 demoparty atm so I got no time for games!! :P

But thanks for all your tips so far; Lots of good info to know! ;)

I had a dream that the Mac Launcher was ready... wiping the sleep from my eyes   :confused:

Got me repeatedly the message 'DirectSound could not be initialized', no matter what device is set as default and which one I set in Audio tab (I have built-in Conexant chip in my laptop and the Focusrite USB external box).

Any suggestions how to amend this situation? Thank you.

Well, the problem is solved thanks to Elite-Games.ru portal - all it had to be done is to fix a string in Windows Registry.

My problem, I believe, have been that I'm a user of Russian version of Windows 7 (got it with my current laptop). A Russian name is assigned even to my built-in audio device, and these symbols apparently hadn't been recognized by the Launcher: in Registry they turned into a string of abracadabra symbols - 'Generic Software on Äèíàìèêè (Conexant CX20671 SmartAudio HD)'.

Leaving only 'Generic Software' get things working alright as long as you launch the game with wcsaga_sse2.exe. If you use Launcher it will again write bogus symbols into Registry.

I had yet to check out if it will work with my USB sound unit, but anyway, at least I had a chance to check out that brilliant voice acting and fly around a bit.

The registry string in question:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Volition \ WingCommanderSaga \ SoundDeviceOAL

Parameter is to be set to 'Generic Software'

Hopefully this would help to some people with other than English-languaged Windows.

Offline Cyker

Thanks for posting your fix :)

Too many people figure out fixes but never post back to the thread!

:D :yes:

Finally finished.  That was awesome!  Very slick and professionally done!  I'm especially impressed with the voice acting.  I was a little disappointed not to see the Behemoth in action, but I can understand why that was done.

I've never played any of the original Wing Commander games.  This was so good it makes me wish I had.  It was a completely different experience than Freespace.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Nice job on the tech descriptions.

Illudium PEW...

:lol:
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
There are surprisingly few people who get that joke in this day and age. :D
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline swamper123

• Just call me Swamper
Does anyone know, where is the saved game or well pilot located?
Let's play Blue Planet

Does anyone know, where is the saved game or well pilot located?
The pilot files are located in the directory "C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Volition\Wing Commander Saga\data\players\single"
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
That would translate to "C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\Volition\Wing Commander Saga\data\players\single" if you're using XP, right?

Offline starlord

I've watched the playthrough! that's hugely impressive. I love the general addition you've made to the kilrathi inventory namely the dubav, fra'lath and zakhari. the frigate class being I think the only ship mounting anti fighter missiles, I think it logical that the kilrathi have an answer to the carneavon.
I know I may be asking to much, but while planetary missions were very well executed, to be they were a huge tempation to see more: I hope that at some point (perhaps with future campaigns) ground missions will be advanced enough to implement kilrathi ground structures and tanks. that would be awesome.

Also, one last question: I nearly chocked when I realised: where are bladekiss and thrakhath and his elite most noble squadron? the bloodfang was the prime ship I wanted to see in saga, and sadly it wasn't here (I even recall the bloodfang model being in there, right)?

Otherwise, great job to all. this is certainly a labor of love.

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Indeed there aren't any Bloodfangs in the campaign, and the model isn't included in the tables. I don't know why it was dropped but it was quite early IIRC.
The good news is that it is included in the VPs, although it has a strange spec map and lacks a normal map. I corrected the docking points and the engine glow, included a normal map and fixed the spec map. It will be included in my Kilrathi mod both for AI and flyable (I also created a HUD).

What I don't like is that the auto-aim and convergence of the guns doesn't work well. I'm not sure if  another ace squadron flying those in the game would have been so great in the campaign.
Also remember that some story and content was dropped for development time reasons. The Bloodfang may belong in that category.
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Don't remember why we dropped it, but I never got a chance to finish it.  In fact I think we were going to completely replace the model.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline starlord

I certainly hope to see bladekiss and thrakhath again though! perhaps one day in an academy mod  :lol:

question: what was bladekiss supposed to fly? did you have an old custom grikath in a garage somewhere for her?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:24:46 am by starlord »

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
I would assume she flies a modern fighter, perhaps a Bloodfang.
Atlhough I think I remember someone suggesting that she might fly a Sorthak.

Fun fact: Flying the Sorthak in my mod is actually quite fun, I would never have guessed that. A Sorthak ace would be truly terrifying.

About an academy mod: Why not, that could be fun. :)

So much ideas and soooo little time. I would do that kind of mod but I simply don't have the time. At the moment I even wonder whether I should drop voice acting in my Kilrathi mod+campaign. If I do that the mod will finished next month I think. If I don't I will take at least another four to six weeks, provided I find voice actors at all.

Offline starlord

bladekiss in a bloodfang? is she worthy?
In a sorthak though... Hmm could be...

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
why shouldn't she?
I'm not trying to sound sexist here, but I think the fact that she is flying a fighter at all is because her brother is the crown prince and tells the other Kilrathi they have to let her fly. If Thrakhath tells a squadron commander to let her fly he will. And if Thrakhath says she is to fly a Bloodfang they will let her fly one.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
wouldnt letting her fly a bloodfang mean she has to be on of the body guards, wouldn't that like be painting a big bullseye on the back of his fighter?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art