Author Topic: Forum game: Rules/Discussion  (Read 163722 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Forum game: Rules/Discussion
Thanks for the awesome vid.

Strategically, I still support pulling what fleets we can spare off the north; we need to handle the actual threats down south, not hypothetical ones up north (besides, Spoon's admitted that he's almost out of fleets).
Well how about we at least kill off the 5th Cordi this turn, then we'll review it. I don't want to let a fleet we can kill get away.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Here is my thing. Rather simple, but it does its job. Instructions included.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Lorric

Here is my thing. Rather simple, but it does its job. Instructions included.
Thanks! :yes:

Offline Lorric

I've been thinking about going down South, but it's a bad time, due to what will happen to the 1st and 2nd UGCR fleets when the mercs wear off and they drop down to like 40-60% health. Here's a situation I'd be comfortable going down South:

This turn, we wipe out the 5th Cordi as I laid out earlier.

Next turn we have the 1st UGCR pull back and Resupply, while the 2nd UGCR continues to recover and everyone else attacks the 3rd Cordi.

The turn after, if there still are no new enemies, the fleets in Crux can take Crux, while the UGCR fleets get merced back up and enter Algol. Then we can send two fully merced up fleets down South.

If we wiped everything out up top, then everyone could then come down. If more enemies arrived, our respawned fleets would by then be in a position to move to intercept.

I'll be very surprised if we don't see more enemies though, especially a 4th Zy Fleet.

Offline Lorric

Also, Spoon, how long is it going to take for the people on Earth to beat some information out of talk to the Cordi we captured?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I've been thinking about going down South, but it's a bad time, due to what will happen to the 1st and 2nd UGCR fleets when the mercs wear off and they drop down to like 40-60% health.

The UGCR fleets should lose approx 1/3rd of their capship strength when the mercs wear off (since at full health they comprise 1/3 of the total fleet, and we've been taking losses evenly from UGCR/Merc ships), based on current health that'll leave us approx 60-67% health left.

Apart from that, the plan sounds mostly OK, although I'd push for the 2nd CRF to take Algol next turn, if we pull Hierarchy fleets away from the south with such a move it'll ease the pressure there and it'll also make a subsequent advance quicker.  An attack from both 2nd Fura'ngle & 3rd Hertak the would deal max 41 + 28 = 69% capship damage (I haven't checked what their current health is, so that's worst case), so it's survivable.

Spoon - I have a question about UGCR & resupply when mercs are active - will that add back both UGCR & merc forces, or just UGCR ones?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Spoon - I have a question about UGCR & resupply when mercs are active - will that add back both UGCR & merc forces, or just UGCR ones?
To both

Also, Spoon, how long is it going to take for the people on Earth to beat some information out of talk to the Cordi we captured?
What would you like to know?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

@ niffiwan

I thought about going into Algol and taking it. The problem is, what if the fleets in Kardoen come up and get me?

What would you like to know?

Can we get the Cordi onside, as we did in Wings of Dawn?

It would be nice if we could solve our little Northern problem by recruiting the Cordi instead of destroying them.

What has been done with the 4th Cordi? How do they feel about us? What do they have to say?

So... I'm pretty sure I'm screwed. Anyone to contest that statement? :blah:

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yeah... but did you read this?:

We can kill the 2nd Hertak with the following combination:

3rd SF Fleet:
- Fighter attack strength: 12+5=17 (18+2-1)
- Capital attack strength: 9+6=15 (18-1)
- Fighters at 62% Strength, 3rd Gen
- Capital ships at 55% Strength
- Morale: Low

Cyrvan Star Armada: 1/1
1st CSA Fleet:
- Fighter attack strength: 21+9=30 (23)
- Capital attack strength: 18+11=29 (20)
- Fighters at 90% Strength
- Capital ships at 90% Strength
- Morale: Normal

1st CRF Fleet:
- Fighter attack strength: 21+10=31 (16+2+3)
- Capital attack strength: 20+11=31 (17+3)
- Fighters at 97% Strength, 3rd Gen
- Capital ships at 97% Strength
- Morale: Zealous

2nd Hertak Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 14 (22)
Capital attack strength: 21 (30)
Fighters at 65% Strength
Capital ships at 69% Strength
Morale: Normal

75 damage. They’re gone. Now I’ve shown this as it’s the strongest attack, but any combination of the 3rd SF plus two fleets from Draco will kill the 2nd Hertak. 71 is the lowes the damage can be, it’s still enough. So you’re free to debate who stays behind. However, whoever stays behind will likely be on the receiving end of a triple attack by the 4th Nordera, 2nd Fura’ngle and 3rd Hertak, which are all at full strength. We’ll get to that at the end of this message.

The 3rd SF will probably perish, but I think it will be worth the sacrifice, and if we don’t do it, someone is sure to die anyway. So, my dear mobcdmoc3, do you think this is a good day to die? There is simply no other way to kill the 2nd Hertak on this turn. If we try to pull you out you’ll be obliterated with the retreat damage (59, you only have 55). If we cover your retreat, we can’t kill the 2nd Hertak Fleet, and it will pull back and resupply and we’ll have two Hertak fleets and the Hertak Flagship fleet running around.

You could probably hit them, then pull back to Odin (the other fleets striking would provide you with retreat cover), but if they want to come after you and kill you, they can...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think the 3rd SF can attack, then retreat to Odin.  That way their retreat will be covered while still destroying the 2nd Hertak.

And this:
75 damage. They’re gone. Now I’ve shown this as it’s the strongest attack, but any combination of the 3rd SF plus two fleets from Draco will kill the 2nd Hertak. 71 is the lowes the damage can be, it’s still enough. So you’re free to debate who stays behind. However, whoever stays behind will likely be on the receiving end of a triple attack by the 4th Nordera, 2nd Fura’ngle and 3rd Hertak, which are all at full strength. We’ll get to that at the end of this message.

If there's a fleet parked in Algol, then it's less likely that both the 2nd Fura’ngle and 3rd Hertak will attack into Draco or Hydra.  If they do, then the fleet in Algol can advance, secure Kardoen & cut off  the rest of the Hierachy fleets (assuming that there are no fleets entering Kardoen from offscreen next turn of course...)

(OK, I'll go to Algol, I think the strategic situation warrants the non-optimal resupply/re-merc situation I'll be putting myself in)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:44:06 pm by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

Yes, attack, then retreat to Odin.

But niffiwan, if I go to Algol, I'm sure they'll come up and tear me up. It's just letting the Hierarchy inflict damage. Then someone would have to cover my retreat, and there'd only be you, and then you'd lose your mercs and they'd destroy you. And if you didn't come, they'd destroy me. Then they could crush everyone at the top. We can't do that.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
It's also relieving pressure on the south which I think is worth having my fleet damaged. In other words, I'd rather have the 2nd Fura’ngle and 3rd Hertak attack me than have them (+ the Nordera) attack the remaining fleet in Draco.  And I've got master of logistics so I can repair faster than most.  You just make sure the 2nd CRF is ready to come in and save our butts next turn if we need it :)
----
----

Offline Lorric

It's also relieving pressure on the south which I think is worth having my fleet damaged. In other words, I'd rather have the 2nd Fura’ngle and 3rd Hertak attack me than have them (+ the Nordera) attack the remaining fleet in Draco.  And I've got master of logistics so I can repair faster than most.  You just make sure the 2nd CRF is ready to come in and save our butts next turn if we need it :)
Master of Logistics is a good point. I can go with this. I just hope we don't get crushed in a pincer up here...

So that just leaves everyone else to wipe out the 5th Cordi.

Alright, I'm hitting the 2nd Zy one more time, then retreat to Aquarius & double resupply next turn.
Enioch's fleet should be able to finish off the Zy and hold against the 3rd Zy until I get back. By then, we should be able to finish them off.

And what does the 1st LSF do in all this?  Are we going to be expected to hold the line again?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Lorric

Third, I have clearly underestimated the prowess of you admirals. I had fully expected the Hierarchy to have made it far far deeper into Terran territory by this point.
It is a common theme in sci fi that an alien aggressor underestimates the strength of humanity. Hopefully that story will unfold once again.

Fleet: 4th SF
First action: minor, travel to Algol
Second action: major, secure Algol
Hmmm... at first I wanted to complain about this, since the Cordi can't be killed if this happens, but I could switch my orders instead, and while I want to Resupply and use Zeal, I'm still strong enough to step in and kill the Cordi myself. But would we be overextending ourselves?

Niffiwan, what do you think?

Offline Lorric

And what does the 1st LSF do in all this?  Are we going to be expected to hold the line again?
I would like you to travel to Vega to meet the arrival of the 3rd Zy please.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hmmm... at first I wanted to complain about this, since the Cordi can't be killed if this happens, but I could switch my orders instead, and while I want to Resupply and use Zeal, I'm still strong enough to step in and kill the Cordi myself. But would we be overextending ourselves?

I reckon it's OK for you to go & wipe out the Cordi, you may even get a morale boost out of it anyway (it seems to occur sometimes when we destroy an enemy fleet, although I haven't checked it closely in an attempt to determine the conditions).  With 3 fleets in Crux & 2 in Algol we can still move three fleets to Tauri/Virgo/Formalhuat in a single turn if we really have to.  Or have everyone retreat back to Aldebaran and hold there if things really turn sour.
----
----

Offline Lorric

I reckon it's OK for you to go & wipe out the Cordi, you may even get a morale boost out of it anyway (it seems to occur sometimes when we destroy an enemy fleet, although I haven't checked it closely in an attempt to determine the conditions).  With 3 fleets in Crux & 2 in Algol we can still move three fleets to Tauri/Virgo/Formalhuat in a single turn if we really have to.  Or have everyone retreat back to Aldebaran and hold there if things really turn sour.
I've tried to figure out Spoon's morale system, but haven't been able to. It might be that he simply makes it up as he goes along, or dice rolls are involved.

Do you think it's for the best? I'll switch my orders if you do. Two fleets in Algol and the system secured will make it more likely the Hierarchy will come. But it's risky.

EDIT: If Andrew retreats to Aldebaran after his attack, it'll be 2 in Crux, 1 in Aldebaran and 2 in Algol.