Author Topic: Custom Wingmen HUD Gauge [features now in FSO]  (Read 39622 times)

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Re: Custom Wingmen HUD Gauge v1.8
Onward to version 1.9
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykm4dnud5sis46j/Fs2_open_Wings_of_Dawn-EX17-SSE%202018-12-07%2023-53-43-09.webm?dl=0

Indeed! Version 1.9 is released, and hopefully it now works as expected. I replicated what I saw on your screen and I believe the new version works how you'd expect, but of course let me know if not.  :) Thanks again for testing so often, I very much appreciate it!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline wookieejedi

Re: Custom Wingmen HUD Gauge v1.9
Not quite there yet.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfoxcz21usq06a7/Fs2_open_Wings_of_Dawn-EX17-SSE%202018-12-08%2023-55-01-74.webm?dl=0
I didn't see this happen with a wing of 5

To me, the video seems to show the correct number of alive icons for the correct number of ships in mission for each wing at any time. But I might be thinking about it differently so just for my clarification, are you saying what is in the video is good, but it doesn't work with a wing of 5, or that what is in the video doesn't look good, but it does work with a wing of 5? Thanks!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
When the next wing arrives, it adds the new dot along side the empty dot. So that wing of 1 is now indicated as a wing of 2. That happens all the way up to a wing of 5.
That's not quite what I'd expect should happen, with the retail hud, the only time an empty extra icon would appear is with cases of threshold triggering. Otherwise it would just fill up the empty circle again with a new fresh one. Which makes sense to me.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline wookieejedi

When the next wing arrives, it adds the new dot along side the empty dot. So that wing of 1 is now indicated as a wing of 2. That happens all the way up to a wing of 5.
That's not quite what I'd expect should happen, with the retail hud, the only time an empty extra icon would appear is with cases of threshold triggering. Otherwise it would just fill up the empty circle again with a new fresh one. Which makes sense to me.

Ah I see what you mean! I have now added some lines to account for that in Version 2.0. Now, unless there is threshold triggering, the wing dots will match the wing sizes for successive waves.

Version 2.0 is released on the front page. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Custom Wingmen HUD Gauge v2.0
It looks like V2.0 might be a winner! 
I'll put it under some more testing over the next days, but it looks promising  :yes:
Urutorahappī!!

Offline wookieejedi

Re: Custom Wingmen HUD Gauge v2.0
It looks like V2.0 might be a winner! 
I'll put it under some more testing over the next days, but it looks promising  :yes:

Great to hear! Thanks, sounds good!

Offline wookieejedi

Re: Custom Wingmen HUD Gauge v2.1
New Version 2.1 released! This version provides minor visual fixes and adds an orange color step, which looks much better then the previous simple green to red transition (thanks for the advice m!m!).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Colors definitely transition smoother and look nicer with the yellow added
Urutorahappī!!

Offline wookieejedi

Colors definitely transition smoother and look nicer with the yellow added

Thanks, happy to hear it looks better! Is the gauge still behaving as expected for wave arrivals?

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Just decided to play through Aftermath: Reboot again, and I got the following crash:

LUA ERROR: [string "cuswingmengag-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:227: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'endstr' (a nil value)

------------------------------------------------------------------
ADE Debug:

stack traceback:
   [C]: ?
   [string "cuswingmengag-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:227: in function 'DrawWingSection'
   [string "cuswingmengag-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:399: in function 'Draw'
   [string "cuswingmengag-sct.tbm - On HUD Draw"]:464: in main chunk

It's on a mission where it's just you (alpha 1) and Beta 1, so separate wings with no wingmen.  The mission works fine without the wingmen script, and it worked fine for the first fiew missions of the campaign as well.  I'm guessing it's just got something to do with how Aftermath is assigning the wings for this particular mission but...I don't anything about scripting, so figured I'd post it anyway.

Offline wookieejedi

Thanks for the update! That is strange, does it cause that crash at the beginning of the mission?

Offline theperfectdrugsk

Yep, right after the briefing.  Although, I did actually just realize that I was running the mod under a nightly instead of a release build, so maybe that has something to do with it.  I'll have to play through a couple missions under the 3.8.0 to get to this point and see if it crashes again.

Offline wookieejedi

Yep, right after the briefing.  Although, I did actually just realize that I was running the mod under a nightly instead of a release build, so maybe that has something to do with it.  I'll have to play through a couple missions under the 3.8.0 to get to this point and see if it crashes again.

Thanks for the quick reply! I always run the script with nightlies, so I am guessing that is not the cause. I have added a fix, so please feel freet to download the attachment, overwrite and let me know if it works. Do you have Discord, per chance? (Might make the debugging process easier if more steps are needed).

Ah I found the issue, that mission has a different capitalization between alpha 1 and wing name Alpha, I will add a fix for that in the script.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:25:04 pm by wookieejedi »

Offline wookieejedi

Re: Custom Wingmen HUD Gauge v2.2
V2.2 is now released and provides a fix to check for capitalization inconsistencies between default wing and ship names within a given mission file (thanks for the catch theperfectdrugsk!). Also attached below.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline theperfectdrugsk

Sweet, works perfectly.

I kinda wish there was a way to fold nifty scripts like this into a knossos download.  It'd certainly be easier for users to keep updated and easier for users to find (I bet a lot of people haven't started using this just because it's in the "scripting releases" forum and scripting = scary).

Offline wookieejedi

Sweet, works perfectly.

I kinda wish there was a way to fold nifty scripts like this into a knossos download.  It'd certainly be easier for users to keep updated and easier for users to find (I bet a lot of people haven't started using this just because it's in the "scripting releases" forum and scripting = scary).

Great, glad to hear it! That's a good idea! Though I think the way that Knossos works might make it difficult because Knossos can't really overlap mods/run more then one mod together, and this script would ideally be used with many mods at once. Spoon is using the script in Wings of Dawn, so at least people see it there!  :)

Axem has a script collection on github. I suggested it could be turned into a more general resource, but so far nothing came out of it than a general idea.

Offline wookieejedi

Axem has a script collection on github. I suggested it could be turned into a more general resource, but so far nothing came out of it than a general idea.

Ah I remember seeing that github collection. A collection of solid scripts that have wide use in one spot with a downloadable link on Knossos and updated on GitHub could be very cool. The tricky part is having someone having the time to run it, as many of these widely useable scripts are part of larger projects that also take up a lot of time. But I would be down for collaborating with folks who are interested in that sort of thing!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Sweet, works perfectly.

Great, glad to hear it! That's a good idea! Though I think the way that Knossos works might make it difficult because Knossos can't really overlap mods/run more then one mod together, and this script would ideally be used with many mods at once. Spoon is using the script in Wings of Dawn, so at least people see it there!  :)
This functionality is eventually supposed to exist in the form of "extension" mods, it just hasn't been implemented yet (AFAIK).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.