Hosted Projects - FS2 Required > Silent Threat: Reborn

Silent Threat: Reborn update, and a question

(1/11) > >>

Goober5000:
The end is in sight for Silent Threat: Reborn.  We only have to FRED one more mission and tweak a few others, and then we can submit it for voice acting.  Basically what we're working on right now is what happens when the Hades shows up, and why it ends up crashed on the planet in Deneb in the FS2 intro. :D

That's not the point of this thread, though. ;) The reason I'm posting this poll is because Galemp and I were having a heated discussion last night about what kind of beams to put on the Hades.  Here's a summary of the two positions (fyi, there are five beam emplacements on the ship):

--- Quote ---Option 1: Use 5 LuciferBeams
The Hades has Shivan Super Lasers in the original Silent Threat ship table.  Since we replaced the Lucifer's Shivan Super Lasers with LuciferBeams, we should do the same for the Hades.  The original Silent Threat table description says that the Hades is an attempt to recreate the Lucifer, so it stands to reason that they would copy much of the existing Lucifer technology to do it.  There are Shivan Turret Lasers all over the Hades, so why not LuciferBeams also?

The opposing position states that the GTI isn't copying the beams but rather making new ones based on what they know.  To counter that, this position asserts that there wasn't enough time to re-design the beams, since the Great War only occurred over the space of a few months.  Generally, acquiring new technology involves three steps: 1) copying the tech; 2) re-engineering the tech; 3) designing brand new tech.  Certainly, by the time FS2 rolls around, the GTVA would be at stage 3.  But in the FS1-era, when the Shivans had only just arrived, the GTI would only have time to be at stage 1.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Option 2: Use 2 TerSlashes, 2 LRBGreens, and a BGreen
The beam weapons used on the Hades were entirely Terran, using technology adapted from the Shivans. They are unique weapons and not direct copies of the Lucifer's; once the principle of how they worked was developed the Terrans developed their own beam cannons using the same techniques. It's not as if the beams were salvaged from the Lucifer then built into a new ship.  The Kayser was based on Shivan weaponry, but it wasn't a Shivan weapon.

When the GTA captured the Dragon fighter, they couldn't get the Shivan weaponry to operate, so they had to jury-rig it together.  The beams were developed the same way: observe how the Lucifer's beams work, and try to build your own beam that does the same thing.
--- End quote ---

We'd like to ask the general HLP populace for their opinion on this.  I can't guarantee that the outcome of the poll will affect our decision, but it always helps to get more information.  And it's extra publicity, too. :D So vote!

Gloriano:
I was thinking why not something beam that fits to Era, power full
but it can't shoot often or Ship reactor collapses as for Color
Gold

but Lucifer beam works too

Night Hammer:
Well since its an attempt to remake the the Lucifer i say go Shivan.

magatsu1:
it should have unique beams IMO. Not FS2-era beams 'cos they're the military standard at the time, and not Lucifier beams 'cos no way could the GTI replicate Shivan technology to the same standard as the originals.

Antares:
The version of the beams used should depend on how you intend the mission to play out.

For example, if you stick to the original ST canon, the only non-GTI battleship present in Secrets Revealed was the GTC Orff.  If this doesn't change in ST:R, you should stick with the LuciferBeams.  The Hades could grease the Orff as a display of its sheer power, leaving the loyal Terran pilots to destroy the warship before it has a chance to escape.

If, however, you intend to create more of a "Battle of Endor" type scenario--I.E., multiple friendly warships Vs. the Hades--it would be a better idea to go the route of Terran weaponry.  This would allow the Hades to fire at multiple targets without immediately destroying them, making for a more prolonged, more enjoyable battle.  This choice also allows for the possibility of AAA turrets for use when all the fighters and bombers are zooming around the Hades, something I'm assuming wouldn't be possible if it used exclusively Shivan weapons.

On a vaguely-related note, how is the Port version of the Ross 128 mission you did going?  I never got it to work with FS, even on my new system, and I really wanna be able to play it. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version