Author Topic: Standard Sound  (Read 2564 times)

Offline J.P.

• http://www.omegadigital.org/
I noticed while playing derelict, that all those voices sound different. Some had higher volume while others didn't. Others sounded like the radio effect was achieved differently than others, so I think that a standard for producing voice sound files is needed.

We should all agree on a standard method so that the general sound of the pilots match up. Don't get me wrong though, I loved the voice acting in Derelict.

I use audacity and this is how I do it.

1. First, I record it and make sure it's an inch or two from my mouth, so I avoid any "poof!!!' noises. After I record it I normalize it and do a noise removal.
2. I then extend the gain up to about 9db or 18db, whatever gets the proper sound. Then I doa highpass filter.
3. I set the projects sound quality to 11025 Hz because that's what all freespace sounds voice files are in and it helps give that radio sound.

What do you guys think?

-J.P.

This is true, and for a good level of authenticity, different quality and filters could be used for different ships and different ship conditions.

For future reference though, it'd be nice if everyone used an easily attainable program to record.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
There's one problem with this.  Since everyone contributes with different machines and microphones and such, you're still going to get inconsistent results from your recordings.  If everyone used the same recording setup, then this would be easy to do.  Distance from microphone, type of microphone used, how it was recorded will affect the volume of the voice files.
 I have two microphones, one a decent desktop mic that I splurged an amazing $20 at my radio shack for, which I used in Derelict.  The other one I use which is one of those that come with webcams, the crappy little white stick mike (the tampon mike I call it) and when recording with both of those, I notice a drastic change in quality.  For example, my own voice, with my desktop mic sounds warm, with bass and treble nicely balanced when played back.  With the crap mike, it sounds like I'm inside of a tin can, thin tinny sound with no bass to my voice.  If everyone used the same mike, and did the same post-proc to thier voice files, then we'd have consistency.  Since it's not possible to do that, we just have to make do with what we have for our voice files.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 01:44:24 pm by Nix »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
There's one problem with this.  Since everyone contributes with different machines and microphones and such, you're still going to get inconsistent results from your recordings.  If everyone used the same recording setup, then this would be easy to do.  Distance from microphone, type of microphone used, how it was recorded will affect the volume of the voice files.

Ummm... Let's try another way round.

There's one problem with "standard sound". Since every pilot contributes with their own fighter craft with own microphone and such, you're bound to get inconsistent results from their radio messages. If every pilot used the same helmet mic, then this would be sensible to do. Pilot's distance from microphone, type of microphone used, how it is recorded will affect the volume of voice transmission.

:D

I don't think it's exclusively a bad thing that there are (some) differences in pilot voices.

Especially in Derelict I very much understand if some pilot's voice sound s bit louder. That's because there's more duct tape fixes in those fighters so things work better, including the comm system.

Of course we don't want some voices as slight wispers while some other boom into the player's ears with the power of a hurricane. But I don't think it's necessary to have every voice file just the same volume and whatever. It didn't disturb me in the Derelict, and it probably won't disturb me in the future. Others may be troubled by this, I just wanted to express my opinion on this matter.

So... make standardized sounds if you will, but if you won't, i don't count it a negative thing. As long as I still hear the voices relatively clearly.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
Speaking of standards, what about the message start/end bleeps and static?

:v: dont appear to have used them in their missions, some people use the ones off the :v: site, and some use the ones that can be found in the :v: .vp files... some have even made their own...

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Variance is good, but when someone sounds like they're stuck in a tin can or trying to talk through a closed door, that's where standardization needs to come in.  I guess what we're trying to get at is to have voice on par with the game's voices.

I think that FS1 used bleeps at the start of each transmission along with static at the end.  FS2 did not.  I believe that's what the deal is.  Personally, I LIKE the bleeps before transmissions, especially for non-voice acted campaigns.  It's a lot easier to see what's happening.