Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > The Modding Workshop

Jaded's ModPacks

<< < (6/7) > >>

EatThePath:
and anyway, you can still manually download packages from Nebula with a browser one at a time if you want...

eldarion:

--- Quote from: jadeddragoon on August 09, 2021, 03:39:27 pm ---
--- Quote from: eldarion on August 06, 2021, 12:56:44 pm ---I really apreciate the work you are doing but i am getting the following:

--- Quote from: jadeddragoon on March 12, 2021, 12:34:30 pm ---
--- Quote from: SandyKcaz on March 11, 2021, 11:40:10 am ---When I try launching your mod collection from Knossos, it says there is no executable found for this mod. What would I need to do to get this to work? Thx.

--- End quote ---

This looks like a bug in Knossos that I have unwittingly stepped in. Apparently, MJN's Mainhalls must be fully installed even if you only need one mainhall. At least, that's the information I was able to find on the subject. Why that would create this specific error is beyond me. And this one is a bit difficult for me to test.

I'll change the dependencies on the mod in the next release candidate. For now, manually selecting FSO 21.0 should fix the issue.

--- End quote ---

". Apparently, MJN's Mainhalls must be fully installed"
Jesus.... this is everything that is wrong with Knossos. Please come back wxLauncher!

By the way, i faced this very same problem. It's the same if you try to install 4K Hud, for instance. I had to download Gb of data only for that!

--- End quote ---

This turned out to be an intermittent Knossos bug. In practice it seems the mainhalls do not need to be fully installed. The actual solution can be found here. Simply select an FSO build from the list. The 1.0.0 version of the mods are tested with 21.2.0... but 21.4.0-RC1 should work just fine as well.

As for going back to wxLauncher... that would be a huge blow to the community. For all of Knossos's flaws it's dependency management system is something this community has desperately needed for decades... almost since the start. The only reason I decided to de-lurk was when I discoved someone had finally made something like Knossos. And with the complete re-write of Knossos months if not weeks from public beta... moving back to wxLauncher now would be a huge mistake.

In any case, glad you're enjoying the mod packs. :-) I'm planning to release several more for other famous campaigns. But only once I've got these four to the point I want them.

--- End quote ---

Sorry for the (really) late response, jadeddragoon.

I eventually end up downloading every mod that i need manually, manage the packages myself and have various batch scripts for launching the various campaigns. I'm a bit of a control freak and now that i understand who it works, i prefer it this way.

Sorry about the little rant about Knossos. It's a great tool if you just want a Steam like interface for quick download and play the mods (and have spare disk space to do so).  And i have a sweet spot for the framework that was used to develop it (qt), so, it's great to see that. As a software developer myself, i know how hard is to maintain something like that.  Going back to wxLauncher is realistically not doable, i understand that.   

jadeddragoon:

--- Quote from: eldarion on September 21, 2021, 01:37:20 pm ---
Sorry for the (really) late response, jadeddragoon.

I eventually end up downloading every mod that i need manually, manage the packages myself and have various batch scripts for launching the various campaigns. I'm a bit of a control freak and now that i understand who it works, i prefer it this way.

Sorry about the little rant about Knossos. It's a great tool if you just want a Steam like interface for quick download and play the mods (and have spare disk space to do so).  And i have a sweet spot for the framework that was used to develop it (qt), so, it's great to see that. As a software developer myself, i know how hard is to maintain something like that.  Going back to wxLauncher is realistically not doable, i understand that.   

--- End quote ---

Absolutely nothing to apologize for! If anything I should. I'm a huge Knossos evangelist and technically have been since before Knossos was even a thing. I've always felt like this community needed something like Knossos. And now that it's here I can't help but be excited for it. So i'm sorry if I came across as upset. I wasn't... I'm just very hopeful for what Knossos can mean for the community from a systemic perspective.

Of course, not everyone is having a good experience with it. And the reasons why are many. Most are Knossos' own fault. Really hoping nu-knossos can address most of those issues. And there are, as you indicate, personal preference reasons some might have to prefer another approach. There's really nothing wrong with that.

Again, sorry if I came across as harsh. Wasn't my intention.

Amakesh:
If i try to install, i get an error "I'm sorry but you won't be able to install "Jaded's Blueplanet" because "FSO" is missing!"

jadeddragoon:
Wait, cant install? I'll look into this when i get home.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version