Author Topic: Is SiN Worth a Second Look 20 Years Later?  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Is SiN Worth a Second Look 20 Years Later?
2018 marks the 20th anniversary of the release of the original SiN. The game was released a month before the critically acclaimed Half-Life, causing it to be heavily overshadowed with low amounts of sales resulting partly from mixed critical reception, and is not generally considered to be one of the best. But, as a player, does it deserve this reputation?

Regardless of that, should the HLP community and others do *something* to keep SiN alive by that time? What would be the best creative way? Recreate the game in an free-open source engine (like id Tech 2 and id Tech 4/Doom 3/Doom 3 BFG) unlike projects involving FSO? Do cosplay of characters like Colonel John R. Blade, J.C, and Elexis Sinclaire?

Plus, what about references to SiN in projects such as Just Another Day?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Is SiN Worth a Second Look 20 Years Later?
I think this should be your next project, Bryan. I'm sure someone as proficient in managing projects like you are would be able to do this in a heartbeat! :yes: Go for it!

I think this should be your next project, Bryan. I'm sure someone as proficient in managing projects like you are would be able to do this in a heartbeat! :yes: Go for it!

Absolutly! I mean,
Recreate the game in an free-open source engine (like id Tech 2 and id Tech 4/Doom 3/Doom 3 BFG) unlike projects involving FSO?
that's done in an instant, maybe a day or 2 if one would really want it.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well... how about to create the planned but unreleased SiN episodes? ^^

I think the Source Engine is still good enough for that.

At least every Episode has only a few levels and a short play time, should be manageable to create on this way.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Recreate the game in an free-open source engine (like id Tech 2 and id Tech 4/Doom 3/Doom 3 BFG) unlike projects involving FSO?

The O in FSO stands for Open.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Do cosplay of characters like Colonel John R. Blade, J.C, and Elexis Sinclaire?
Why not? HLP doesn't have a cosplay board yet, though. And that despite the huge success of cosplaying Petrach, Bosch, Snipes...

Plus, what about references to SiN in projects such as Just Another Day?
Well, then post a topic with your suggestions on the JAD board. I'm sure Axem will be happy.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 06:57:32 am by Nightmare »

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Okay folks, point made, enough trolling Bryan.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]