Author Topic: JAD:XA Leaderboards  (Read 54615 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Starwing? Boy, that sure narrows down your geographical location. :p

(Good score btw!)

Wasn't it sold under the name Starwing in most of Europe? Anyhow... it had the prettier boxart anyway ;)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Axem

I have succumbed to pressure and actually made... rather plain looking leaderboards. If anyone is aware of a quick and easy way (also a pretty and fancy way) to keep track of leader boards like this, let me know! I'll explore other stuff in the meantime.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I have succumbed to pressure and actually made... rather plain looking leaderboards. If anyone is aware of a quick and easy way (also a pretty and fancy way) to keep track of leader boards like this, let me know! I'll explore other stuff in the meantime.
You need permission to view those spreadsheets.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Axem

Maybe now? (Force refresh if it doesn't work the first time)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Maybe now? (Force refresh if it doesn't work the first time)
Yeah, it works now.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Axem, the Rockeye is a wonderful, wonderful missile and I hope people realize that after playing this.

I could probably cut another few seconds off this time, but it'd be hard!

In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
It's fish in a barrel time!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Axem, the Rockeye is a wonderful, wonderful missile and I hope people realize that after playing this.

But the Rockeye, it has such a long refire delay... whereas you can spam hornets (which spam hornets) :drevil:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
But the Rockeye, it has such a long refire delay... whereas you can spam hornets (which spam hornets) :drevil:

That's why you load two banks of them. :D

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
A couple more - can't resist that timed boss duel :)  I'm not so good when trying to keep up the tempo unfortunately...

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Ezechiel, exterminating the targets.

I love the smell of exploding beta testers in the morning... smells like victory.

Offline Axem

Leaderboards have been updated.

Torchwood gets a special entry (sent by PM) on the Endless Gauntlet since a crash slipped through my testing and ruined his epic playthrough. I apologize and hope that I can get a patch sometime.

Also the formatting on the charts SUCKS. So bad. Why do you make things awful, Google?

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I think the only way I can easily knock another five seconds off this time to get it below the three minute mark is to start in Berserk. Since that's not an option, I have a line to tighten... :P

I recorded a video of this run as well, but it came out to 1.7gb!

(NOTE: The Rockeye is still the greatest missile of all time since, for the race, it's pretty much fire-and-forget automatic Berserk.)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 07:15:47 am by Hobbie »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
(NOTE: The Rockeye is still the greatest missile of all time since, for the race, it's pretty much fire-and-forget automatic Berserk.)

You are divulging precious intel and ruining my winning edge!!

On a related note, this is one of the hardest mini-games for me, specially because it's hard to keep yourself on berserk mode.
And DAT frikking ending run...

Axem you can be a really bad person when you want  :p
el hombre vicio...

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
On a related note, this is one of the hardest mini-games for me, specially because it's hard to keep yourself on berserk mode.
And DAT frikking ending run...

Blast the first batch of drones as fast as you can since that's your biggest time sink. As soon as they're all dead (KEEP SHOOTING EVEN IF YOU GO BERSERK) set all power to engines and blast your way through the track, pulsing your afterburners each time they hit three-quarters down.

Every time you go near a group of drones, release a Rockeye-MMM volley and move on. You'll be in Rip And Tear almost constantly, and you don't lose speed or missile count if you drop back to Berserk.

For the end run, go straight from the beacon with the Ramming Colossus to the last one. Straight down. The beams will all miss you.

EDIT: I just realized that, in order to survive the final beam gauntlet, you literally need to dive dive dive hit your burners pilot. :D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:03:38 pm by Hobbie »

This is outrageously fun. I can see myself sinking a LOT of hours into this :P

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
For the end run, go straight from the beacon with the Ramming Colossus to the last one. Straight down. The beams will all miss you.

Not always, I'm sure the beamfire is partially random. I've been blasted by both Green Orion Beams on the final run (following a direct path) and by a nasty red one that decided to fire into one of the Hatshepsut's fighterbays as I was trying to leave :hopping:

And with that said, here's some more screenies of fun fun fun!

(I kept running out of targets, dagnabbit :D)

(and I must confess that I was disappointed (DISAPPOINTED AXEM!) that I couldn't use the max-power morning star to blast the Hatty out of the way and avoid the twisty turns :lol:  or did I only fire it at the Deimos's, I forget...)
----
----

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Meh.

Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Protip: Maxim is best gun.  ;)

Edit:

So damn close.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:27:16 am by BLARGHER »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
very close :)

And wow, endless gauntlet on insane is quite hard! :)  Damn you Dubstepiel and your 12km away starting distance :p

----
----