Author Topic: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO  (Read 177374 times)

Offline UndyingNephalim

Re: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO
Another random question, is there a way to have the destroy-instantly command effect an entire wing? It seems to only work with single objects. I want an entire wing to vanish every time a certain event happens and then the next wave warps in, but it only works once because names change with each wave.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Another random question, is there a way to have the destroy-instantly command effect an entire wing? It seems to only work with single objects. I want an entire wing to vanish every time a certain event happens and then the next wave warps in, but it only works once because names change with each wave.
Looks like there is not currently a way to do that, although you could try shenanigans involving string concatenation to construct the "current" name of each ship in the wing.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline UndyingNephalim

The often requested Training level:

It's pretty much just the same tutorial from Freespace 2, probably won't be very exciting for those of us that know the game already.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Well I've run into a strange problem. I am using the Campaign Editor, and it seems the list of Available missions in the left hand column is completely blank. Regardless if I set it to Single, Multi Co-Op, or Multi Teams the list remains completely empty. All my missions are in the "mission" folder. What might be causing none of them to show up in the Campaign editor?

Offline Axem

FRED has a very particular way of choosing which folder it thinks it should be using. FRED will choose the first item in the secondarylist in your mod.ini, so you might need to shuffle missions or entries around to get FRED to read it right. I'm not sure how it works with primarylist affects it though...

Offline UndyingNephalim

FRED has a very particular way of choosing which folder it thinks it should be using. FRED will choose the first item in the secondarylist in your mod.ini, so you might need to shuffle missions or entries around to get FRED to read it right. I'm not sure how it works with primarylist affects it though...
My mod doesn't use mod.ini, it's completely standalone. Maybe that's why the Campaign Editor is being fussy.

Offline Axem

Huh, if there's no mod.ini then it should look at the [exe path]/data/missions for the mission list...

Offline UndyingNephalim

Well the next version of Star Fox: Event Horizon is ready for download!

Included is the voiced Tutorial level, new Freeplay maps, all 27 playable characters, and 30 playable craft:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-fox-event-horizon/downloads/star-fox-event-horizon-second-demo

*grabs*

Offline CKid

Holy ****! My brain stopped working for a momment. Pretty epic trailer you got there.  :yes:
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
 Did that say "from the maker of hyrule total war???"

Better than N64 quality cutscenes by the way  :yes: :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline UndyingNephalim

I've not asked questions in a long time, here's one.
For a long time I've been wanting to draw indicator sprites on certain allied ships, basically indicating who the pilot is such as this example:
Spoiler:
I asked the question ages ago, and I recall a general "use nav points" response. I've tried using nav points, but there are several problems:

A) Only the default nav point graphic seems possible, I need the blinking first-letter-of-the-pilots-name-in-a-triangle-sprites I've made to appear above the target ships.
B) Only one nav point is visible at a time it seems, making a second or third immediately cancels the previous one.

Does anyone know a way to pull off what I'm trying to do?

Did that say "from the maker of hyrule total war???"
Yes it did.

Offline Darius

you can have a version of the pof with a glow point above with the graphical effect that you want, and it can blink as well.  The downside is it will rotate as the ship rotates

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Could probably do something with a Lua script, but I wouldn't know how to write it.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline UndyingNephalim

you can have a version of the pof with a glow point above with the graphical effect that you want, and it can blink as well.  The downside is it will rotate as the ship rotates
I've tried that method out, there are several problems with it though. As you said, the icon rotates. The icon also gets smaller with the ship as it moves away, kind of defeating the purpose of the icon if you are on the other side of a map and need to find your ally. It's also invisible when the ship flies behind larger ships. I feel like there has to be a way to simply draw a sprite on an object in Fred2. Something like a "Draw Sprite" command and then you just get object x, y, and z, and put it in an Every Time conditional event.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
In Lua, you can get the screen coordinates of a point by calling :getScreenCoords() on it; you can then use drawing functions to do something based on those screen coordinates (like, for instance, draw an icon).

I'm having a vague memory of seeing a script where somebody did something similar (overlaying ships with their briefing icons, sort of like strategic icons in Supreme Commander), but I can't seem to find it.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline UndyingNephalim

In Lua, you can get the screen coordinates of a point by calling :getScreenCoords() on it; you can then use drawing functions to do something based on those screen coordinates (like, for instance, draw an icon).

I'm having a vague memory of seeing a script where somebody did something similar (overlaying ships with their briefing icons, sort of like strategic icons in Supreme Commander), but I can't seem to find it.
That sounds like the exact thing I'm trying to do. On a similar note, how do you get a mission to read a lua script?

Well, there's the script-eval SEXPs that allow you to call lua functions, set lua variables, etc.
I suggest having a look at the scripting.tbl article on the wiki: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Scripting.tbl
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 06:17:42 am by X3N0-Life-Form »

Offline est1895

With the third demo out, do I need to keep the first and second demos files?