Author Topic: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO  (Read 177353 times)

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Re: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO
Well then, this is really impressive. c: Nice to see such surprises after a long absence from the forums.
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Words cannot describe the awesomeness and skill to which it is sourced from. Is that terrain a large model, or is there some other super secret way to make it? And if it is a trade secret you don't have to answer ; )

Offline UndyingNephalim

Words cannot describe the awesomeness and skill to which it is sourced from. Is that terrain a large model, or is there some other super secret way to make it? And if it is a trade secret you don't have to answer ; )
The terrain is several models. It can technically be done as one model, but I encountered a lot of frame rate issues using that method. I generally split up terrain models into several separate models such as the ground, rocks, and trees.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Very cool indeed! Thanks for the quick answer!

not sure were to put it but the viideo is cool :

Offline UndyingNephalim

I have a feeling I already know the answer to this, but is there anyway to go over the 250 ship limit? I slammed into the hardcoded limit without realizing it, and I still need at least 50 more slots for terrain and other land doodads.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I have a feeling I already know the answer to this, but is there anyway to go over the 250 ship limit?
Not without modifying the source, unfortunately. Making the ship limit dynamic is definitely something a lot of people want, but actually doing it requires a lot of effort.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline UndyingNephalim

I have a feeling I already know the answer to this, but is there anyway to go over the 250 ship limit?
Not without modifying the source, unfortunately. Making the ship limit dynamic is definitely something a lot of people want, but actually doing it requires a lot of effort.
That's unfortunate. I'm going to have to cut a lot of the stuff I had planned.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I thought the ships class limit was bumped to 500? And it should be in 3.7.4 final?
(see commit 647f6a867b6c638aedc65c187b6344c39813871c)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline UndyingNephalim

I thought the ships class limit was bumped to 500? And it should be in 3.7.4 final?
(see commit 647f6a867b6c638aedc65c187b6344c39813871c)
For some reason I can't seem to find 3.7.4.
3.7.2 is the most recent version I can find.

Silly me I found it.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Looks fantastic! So many ships!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Looks awesome  :yes:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Neph, I just found a pic from Shadows of Lylat which might be interesting:

The directional reticle is a god-send in the Star Fox series or any third person air/space combat.
No idea how this was done, but maybe if someone from that mod is still around, it could be useful.
Potato!

Offline Lorric

When I see these videos I am continually amazed that it's our engine this is running on.

I love the Orbital Gate music. Is it original, or was it taken from somewhere?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
When I see these videos I am continually amazed that it's our engine this is running on.

QFT. Never played a Starfox game in my life, but I'm always stoked to see a new video update to this thread, just to see how you've stretched the FSO engine this time.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline starlord

Yes, SoL did showcase some non 360 directional segments (Think star fox on the SNES where the arwings always go forward, despite movement being possible). Will that also appear in event horizon?

Also another question, are chargeable primaries doable in FSO (think descent fusion cannon). In that case wouldn't it make sense for the charged laser to be activated this way, as in star fox 64? Is it doable actually?

Offline UndyingNephalim

Yes, SoL did showcase some non 360 directional segments (Think star fox on the SNES where the arwings always go forward, despite movement being possible). Will that also appear in event horizon?

I've tried messing with the script SoL made for those levels, but I can't seem to replicate it outside the few levels they made. I've tried contacting former members about it but I've gotten no answers.

Also another question, are chargeable primaries doable in FSO (think descent fusion cannon). In that case wouldn't it make sense for the charged laser to be activated this way, as in star fox 64? Is it doable actually?
I think the Charged Laser was made into a secondary weapon for the homing capability. I might be mistaken, but I don't think primary weapons have the ability to gain a lock and home in on targets.

The directional reticle is a god-send in the Star Fox series or any third person air/space combat.
No idea how this was done, but maybe if someone from that mod is still around, it could be useful.
Their reticle is a combination of scripts and three separate objects that update their position based on how the player moves. Like the corridor script I've not been able to replicate it outside of the demo levels SoL made.

Offline Axem

Unfortunately, I could never get the scripts to work that well either. I didn't make them and my playing with them was super limited, I forget how to even get them to activate... :blah:

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help... (Cool vids though!)