Author Topic: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO  (Read 177369 times)

Re: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO
Mmhhh. You could ask people on HLPs Discord whether the problem has been solved/worked around. That was the situation a few years back, I'm no expert on CMs, so I don't know.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Another question time. Is there a way to make it so that a restricted weapon does not show up in the Weapon Loadout screen instead of being grayed out?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
There's a fix for the countermeasure issue: https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Weapons.tbl#.2BPulse_Interval:

Sorry, I don't know about the Loadout/GreyedOut question.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Another question time. Is there a way to make it so that a restricted weapon does not show up in the Weapon Loadout screen instead of being grayed out?
If you've got only 1 ship class in the loadout you can remove all unused weapons; for multiple ships with different permissions that doesn't work though.

Offline UndyingNephalim

If you've got only 1 ship class in the loadout you can remove all unused weapons; for multiple ships with different permissions that doesn't work though.

Aw damn. I have multiple copies of the same weapons, the only difference being the projectile color to reflect the faction that a craft is from. For example Cornerian Craft have green lasers, Venom craft have Red. Craft from multiple factions can be unlocked so the Weapon loadout is cluttered with grayed out copies of all the weapons. It's not the end of the world but it's just annoying to cycle through a long list of weapon copies.

Mhh. You could solve this in mission, possibly.
You make a weapon that you use in the loadout, like "Reaper". Once the mission starts you could swap out "Reaper" with "Reaper#FactionXYZ". You could do that with the "has-primary-weapon" SEXP under "Status"/"Weapon, Ship etc".

For the unlock stuff, you can use Variables to determine the mission loadout.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 04:18:25 pm by Nightmare »

Offline UndyingNephalim

Mhh. You could solve this in mission, possibly.
You make a weapon that you use in the loadout, like "Reaper". Once the mission starts you could swap out "Reaper" with "Reaper#FactionXYZ". You could do that with the "has-primary-weapon" SEXP under "Status"/"Weapon, Ship etc".

For the unlock stuff, you can use Variables to determine the mission loadout.

I might try that out, I'll probably just ask players if they find it annoying cycling through 10 copies of each weapon and go from there.

Well I'd guess going through 10 copies of each weapon is probably not what every player wants. Alternatively, the problem could be handled through LUA, but copy-pasting the events should be easily possible too.

Well I'd guess going through 10 copies of each weapon is probably not what every player wants. Alternatively, the problem could be handled through LUA, but copy-pasting the events should be easily possible too.
I second the lua idea. I've had various loadout issues over the year, so I *might* have something I can adapt to your needs. How do you identify one ship as belonging to a specific faction ?

Offline UndyingNephalim

I second the lua idea. I've had various loadout issues over the year, so I *might* have something I can adapt to your needs. How do you identify one ship as belonging to a specific faction ?

That would be awesome, seeing as I'm kind of a dummy at putting together a lua scripts. The factions I have are Cornerian, Venom, Sharpclaw, Aparoid, Anglar, Aquan, Titanian, Thosan, and Pirate. I have 14 Weapons in the game that players can pick from, 7 primary and 7 secondary and most factions have their own variations of these weapons with Pirates being the exception (they just use weapons from the other factions). The factions a craft belong to are mostly just Lore based. The Arwings were all manufactured by Corneria so they all use Cornerian variants of weapons. The Wolfen are all Venom designs so they use Venom weapon variants, etc.

I'll see if I can whip something up over the week-end.

Offline UndyingNephalim

I suppose I could just try and make the color variations of each weapon unique, like Venom Blasters dealing more damage but having a slower fire rate and any craft can equip them. What would you all prefer, 14 consistent weapons or 98 weapons with minor variations?

Well, it's been a bit more involved than I expected, I couldn't recycle as much as I thought from previous scripts, but still I've been able to put in some good work on it Saturday afternoon, so I've almost got something working (using FS2 retail data).
Its a script that swaps out specific weapon for a variant depending on ship class, as defined by a custom table file in the config/ folder. It would work like this :
First off, define your table:
Code: [Select]
#MyStandardGun ;; the name of the "standard" variant in the loadout screen

$Name: Cornerian
$Ships: Arwing

$Name: Venom
$Ships: Wolfen, Arwing#Venom

#End

#MyOtherStandardGun
#End

#SomeMissile
#End

At the start of any mission, it will lookup every ship present, if it finds - for example, one equipped with "MyStandardGun" in its primary banks, and if that ship is in the $Ships list of a variant - say an Arwing, it will swap "MyStandardGun" for "MyStandardGun#Cornerian". If instead that ship was a Wolfen or Arwing#Venom, it would swap the primary with "MyStandardGun#Venom" instead.

I've tested it with primaries, but it *should* work with secondaries as well. Now I need to make it work for fighters that aren't present at mission start, and maybe see if I can optimize the various loops. I'll upload what I've got on github this evening, so that you can check it out.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Well, it's been a bit more involved than I expected, I couldn't recycle as much as I thought from previous scripts, but still I've been able to put in some good work on it Saturday afternoon, so I've almost got something working (using FS2 retail data).
Its a script that swaps out specific weapon for a variant depending on ship class, as defined by a custom table file in the config/ folder. It would work like this :
First off, define your table:
Code: [Select]
#MyStandardGun ;; the name of the "standard" variant in the loadout screen

$Name: Cornerian
$Ships: Arwing

$Name: Venom
$Ships: Wolfen, Arwing#Venom

#End

#MyOtherStandardGun
#End

#SomeMissile
#End

At the start of any mission, it will lookup every ship present, if it finds - for example, one equipped with "MyStandardGun" in its primary banks, and if that ship is in the $Ships list of a variant - say an Arwing, it will swap "MyStandardGun" for "MyStandardGun#Cornerian". If instead that ship was a Wolfen or Arwing#Venom, it would swap the primary with "MyStandardGun#Venom" instead.

I've tested it with primaries, but it *should* work with secondaries as well. Now I need to make it work for fighters that aren't present at mission start, and maybe see if I can optimize the various loops. I'll upload what I've got on github this evening, so that you can check it out.

Alrighty I'll try it out when it's up.

Here it is : https://github.com/X3N0-Life-Form/loadout_stuff
If you are unfamiliar with github : you can download the source as a zip by clicking on the "clone or download" button.
(Note : it's a knossos-style modpack)

It's kinda bare-bones, but it contains all the required data, scripts, and a tiny test mission. I'm hoping to find time to finish it by Wednesday or Thursday.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Here it is : https://github.com/X3N0-Life-Form/loadout_stuff
If you are unfamiliar with github : you can download the source as a zip by clicking on the "clone or download" button.
(Note : it's a knossos-style modpack)

It's kinda bare-bones, but it contains all the required data, scripts, and a tiny test mission. I'm hoping to find time to finish it by Wednesday or Thursday.

It seems to be working out so far with no real issues, thank you so much this will help keep the loadout screen from being cluttered.  :yes:

A minor quibble though, the use of # seems to be showing up in the weapon display HUD instead of the Weapon's Title. Is there any way around this?
EDIT: Nevermind, solved the # issue by using $Alt Name:  :yes:

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 05:03:33 am by UndyingNephalim »

Offline UndyingNephalim

Another question time, are the Weapon Loadout room animations limited to ANI files at the moment? I tried using an APNG but it's perpetually stuck on the first frame (the APNG in question works perfectly fine as a talking portrait in game). I tried the .EFF method but it wont even load that.

WoD uses eff/pngs for loadout icons and it looks fine.

Offline UndyingNephalim

WoD uses eff/pngs for loadout icons and it looks fine.

Just to be clear I mean the animated video on the top right, not the weapon icons. The weapon icons all work fine for me:

Image from Gyazo" width="952

Ah, sorry. Actually, MJN remade all these animations for the MVPs as APNGs and it works there.