Hosted Projects - Non-FreeSpace > MechCommander OmniTech

Help with 3D modelling

<< < (2/12) > >>

headdie:

--- Quote from: Karl on December 13, 2010, 03:38:33 pm ---Normals have been suggested a couple of times now, I have tried what I can regarding normals with 3ds but I think I will download blender and use the recalculate see what happens.

This may be my ignorance but would inverted faces result in transparent faces in the 3d model in game?

--- End quote ---

I would say so yes.  Has conversion been done before using the method you are using?

Below is first a ship with correct normals and the second one is fully inverted

[attachment deleted by admin]

Starman01:
Really hard to say. Flipped normals was also my first idea. But I have converted the model to cob and 3ds, and at least in truespace the normals are fine and texture coordinates preserved. Usually flipped normals are visible there. But I noticed that some of the submodels have incorrectly centered axis. When I open the model, the arms and shoulder launchers are displaced (and that quite a lot actually)

Texture and channels also looked ok on the first view, but my experience in that case is not so big.

@Karl : You still have the material reference "vulture" in the model. According to the viewer, I cannot see it used at all in the model. Maybe remove that entry from the ase file and then check again.

Please try this file, I removed the vulture entry completly.

http://wcsaga.hard-light.net/team/Starman/downloads/lupus2.ASE

PLS NOTE : I changed the filename so you don't accidently overwrite your original. But don't forget to change your ini file, otherwise you will not use it :)

If that doesn't work, try the second issue. Rename my texture below to lupus.tga.

http://wcsaga.hard-light.net/team/Starman/downloads/concrete.tga

This texture is working correctly, so if the faces are closed ingame with that texture (coordinates will be messed up of course), than you can be sure that the texture is your problem, not the mesh.

BTW, I'm going to bed now, and tomorrow I will not be reachable until the evening. I'm in desperate need of a new OS install, the errors are taking overhand. But I should be finish later the day

Take care :)

Thaeris:
Karl, I'm not sure if you are familiar with these concepts or not, but I'd like you to take a look at posts 216 and 222 on this thread:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=72062.200

Hopefully, that will be of some use to you.

:)

Karl:
Thanks all I appreciate the help,

@Thaeris - I am unfamiliar with everything! This is my first ever model. I have read your posts and I am modeling in quads, the point about shaders was alittle beyond me.

@Starman, thanks for the help, I will try with your concrete texture and my original model and if that fails I will move to your vutureless model, and final stab will be recalc normals with blender

Again not doubting that the normals could be the problem but could/would anyone be able to shed some light on why the model looks fine in 3ds if the normals were dodgy?

Cheers all

Angelus:

--- Quote from: Karl on December 13, 2010, 05:43:50 pm ---Thanks all I appreciate the help,

@Thaeris - I am unfamiliar with everything! This is my first ever model. I have read your posts and I am modeling in quads, the point about shaders was alittle beyond me.

@Starman, thanks for the help, I will try with your concrete texture and my original model and if that fails I will move to your vutureless model, and final stab will be recalc normals with blender

Again not doubting that the normals could be the problem but could/would anyone be able to shed some light on why the model looks fine in 3ds if the normals were dodgy?

Cheers all

--- End quote ---

convert tzhe mesh in Max to editable poly. Then select face, check "ignore backfaces" or what ever it's called in english.
The click somewhere on the mesh. If Max doesn't allow you to select the face, it has its normals flipped.
Uncheck the option, click the face again and click on flip. Rinse and repeat.

Edit: just checked the mesh in Max. The normnals seem fine, maybe something went wrong with the conversion?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version