Hosted Projects - Non-FreeSpace > MechCommander OmniTech

Mechwarrior 5 ???????

<< < (8/9) > >>

chief1983:
By the way, I think the only legal trouble that the new Mechwarrior got into was the use of the Unseen in the trailer.  Seems those mecha copyright holders are still throwing a fit, 15 years later.

Starman01:
Indeed. Like I said, they were to dumb to make money out of their franchise, but likely we have the modern law. If you are to dumb to do something, get yourself a lawyer and sue those who can.

Yesterday I read somewhere that Smith&Thinker still has it on their website, but no more update has been postet, they are doing some handy game crap instead.

Cipher:

--- Quote from: chief1983 on February 03, 2011, 10:16:11 am ---Seems those mecha copyright holders are still throwing a fit, 15 years later.
--- End quote ---

you also have to understand that if they don't do anything to protect the copyrights, there would be no reason for the copyright to be there in the first place. and the owner of robotech has a lot of other things raking in money so he can do these legal battles.

Mongoose:
Out of curiosity, since I don't really know much about it, why did the creators of BattleTech decide to essentially rip off those anime mech designs in the first place?  You'd think they would have realized that it was some pretty clear-cut copyright infringement, and it's definitely caused a quite a mess over the years.

Cipher:
actually, fasa wasn't the creator of battletech, while yes they did make a lot of the rules/mechs/guns/equipment.

ok, there was this company that made Battledroids, it had the unseen mechs in it, and they did get permission from harmony gold to use the art. well the company sold Battledroids to fasa, and fasa renamed it battletech, and they kept making the stuff till harmony gold realized that fasa was useing the art w/o their written permission (because fasa misplaced it somewhere, so they had none). so now Battletech is owned by Topps, with catalyst doing the major stuff for it now. so battletech is pretty much all over the place while robotech has stayed with the same owner.

now a little fun fact about smith and tinker, the founder had founded fasa before founding smith and tinker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version