Hosted Projects - Non-FreeSpace > MechCommander OmniTech

Map Help thread.

(1/6) > >>

LeviathanChiken:
Well since star suggested that i make a thread so here it is. Anyways i just started with mission one and its looking nice right now.
Heres some screens.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Anyways how do i set starting places for say my team and set the mechs etc to guard or attack?

Starman01:

--- Quote ---Anyways how do i set starting places for say my team and set the mechs etc to guard or attack?
--- End quote ---

The starting position will be set more or less automatically. It's the first unit of Team0 (player) that is placed on the map. If there is only one player units, it's place is the starting position. If you place more, the one posted the most earliest will be. Note, currently there aren't multiple starting locations possible, if you need something like that it's more like selecting units by moving to them (can explain to you if necessary).

For moving units (mechs and vehicles) that are controlled by the AI you must specify a so called brain file to them. Those must then be set manually into the missionfit file (atm there is no tool that is compatible with MCO for that, but hopefully we will be able to bind this as additional editor function in the future).

There are simple ones, like simply let the mechs guard a area, and when an attacker comes within activation range, they attack it. Also you easy specifiy patrolpaths and so on.

I will upload you a couple of brainfiles in a few hours from now on and a short info where to place it in the mission.fit file (This file can be edited with a text editor, but be careful what you do, otherwise your map won't load anymore.)

Starman01:
So, here are the abl files  (the unit brain files) I have in use. Note, not all work, but most should ;)

http://omnitech.hard-light.net/team/starman/downloads/abl.rar

And here some crash course how to edit that to a brain file to a unit.

You can edit the brain files easily with a text editor. Note the "fsm" name at the start. In the entire MCO installation are now two brainfiles allowed, that share the same fsdm. So start right, and make logical syntax name, makes it easier for you too (example : m1_unit12_walk)

In the editor, if you open the object editor you notice that each unit has a squad ID. (Note, you can have more than one unit sharing this ID, so you can all assign the same brain, I learned that too late :D)

Open your mission.fit file, and search for your object entry. Usually it looks like this (it's only the beginning part I post) :

--- Code: ---[Warrior5]
st Profile = "PMWVeteran"
st Brain = "gg_Guard100m"
l NumCells = 3
l NumStaticVars = 0

--- End code ---

Note the second line on top starting with "st Brain ". Simply enter there the name of the brain file (the filename, NOT the fsm name, if you make them differently), without the file extension.

Check the brain files, usually the stuff for editing is way on top. Usually you just have to edit squad ID's, waypoints or objective numbers (important, Objective 1 in the editor, is refered to as Objective 0 in the code or brain file, so be sure to count right and don't let it fool you :) )

SaberUnit:
Can you set these brain files you posted in the links to actually perform "offensive" tasks like search and destroy functions?

I am downloading them now ATM and studying it; I am currently making my own campaign but got stuck in the AI functions. I wanted at least 4 factions fighting in the first mission of my campaign but I am still a newb (noob) in setting patrol paths etc etc and more importantly how to figure out to set the AI on the offensive so this thread is a great start for me to study the how's and do's of AI programming :)

thanks a bunch

Starman01:
First off, 4 factions is afaik not possibile atm. I know magic was working on that, but I'm not sure if this is already in the code. If not, than there are only three factions possible. Player (team 0) , Enemy (team 1) , and allies (team 2-0 + neutral)

As for the brains, there are offensive brains in there too. With some minor code knowledge they can be even enhance more. There are brains for "move to destroy" or "move to capture" or "move to guard". :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version