Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > The FRED Workshop

Messages being sent from Command, despite being sent from an in-field ship?

(1/3) > >>

zonination:
Here are some screenshots of these errors, plural. (imgur link, sorry)
Hey fellow FREDders. I'm working on one of my first missions (as if that's not a red enough flag).

But I've tried everything. Delaying the message time; fine tuning it; right-clicking > replace data > selecting the ship again and again and playing the mission over and over and over...

The only thing I've concluded MIGHT be (MIGHT be) the problem: is that the field of battle either has:

* Too many events
* Too many ships
Since the problematic ships in question were added later in the game (in a cargo depot, and a lot of waypoints), I suspect it might be "too many ships", but I'm wondering how I would go about fixing this issue.

SilverAngelX:
I had a similar problem in a mission recently and for me the problem was an issue of timing. The evaluation whether or not the ship was in the mission happened a bit too early, when the ship was in fact not yet present. Then the ship appeared, but the message was already given to Command instead. So, I changed the SEXPs a bit so that the event was triggered separately which made the engine recognize that the ship was already there.

You could try to make that message event dependent on the arrival of said ship to make sure that the engine knows it's there before it tries to send the message.

General Battuta:
This will sound dumb but I just want to be 100% certain: there's no chance Gamma 1 has exploded by this point is there

zonination:

--- Quote from: General Battuta on April 01, 2021, 07:59:39 am ---This will sound dumb but I just want to be 100% certain: there's no chance Gamma 1 has exploded by this point is there

--- End quote ---

That is correct. Gamma 1 has not exploded, there is no remaining hostiles in the field, and she is at full hull integrity as can be seen in the lower left corner.

EDITED TO ADD:

--- Quote from: SilverAngelX on April 01, 2021, 07:54:23 am ---I had a similar problem in a mission recently and for me the problem was an issue of timing. The evaluation whether or not the ship was in the mission happened a bit too early, when the ship was in fact not yet present. Then the ship appeared, but the message was already given to Command instead. So, I changed the SEXPs a bit so that the event was triggered separately which made the engine recognize that the ship was already there.

You could try to make that message event dependent on the arrival of said ship to make sure that the engine knows it's there before it tries to send the message.

--- End quote ---

The event for Gamma wing entering is triggered by the "ReliefArrives" SEXP. Same with the Ace. I've is-event-true-delay (-ed) the wing's arrivals by 0 seconds, 3 seconds, 5 seconds, with no change in results. Or are you talking about the other way around?

Mito [PL]:
I have met a similar curiosity some time ago. Turns out that if you use send-message-list and one of the ships that are supposed to send messages has not yet arrived when the SEXP is triggered, even if they are in mission when their message itself is being played, the message will act like they were never there (therefore its sender will default to Command). Maybe you could verify if that isn't the case somehow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version