Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 763922 times)

Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
One question:

I installed FS2 retail core, FSOpen 3.6.9 and 3.6.8 zeta mediavps. Now i want to install the others campaigns so the question is if i have to uninstall and install again or is there a faster way?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If you put the mediavps in the \FreeSpace2\mediavps directory, you should be able to modify a text file to allow the Installer to only get the campaigns, instead of getting the stuff you already have again.... ask Turey exactly what to change.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
One question:

I installed FS2 retail core, FSOpen 3.6.9 and 3.6.8 zeta mediavps. Now i want to install the others campaigns so the question is if i have to uninstall and install again or is there a faster way?

Did you install them through my Installer? If so, just run it again. It will serve as an updater.

If you installed them manually, you can still simply run the Installer and give it the directory you manually installed to. It will check the integrity of the files you have. Due to recent changes in the hosting of the retail files and the FSO executables, it should finish checking them almost instantaneously. Mediavps might take a bit longer, but it will finish eventually.

There's no longer a need to modify the text file for a pre-installed retail setup. The checking has been sped up significantly, and it uses almost no bandwidth (as the files are unzipped).
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

ok, I downloaded the installer and ran it against a fresh-off-bittorrent-retail-install   ( had to use demon tools to get the cd's images to be recognized) I actually have a set of cd's somewhere - but I'm unable to locate them at the moment.

I had to restart the open installer a couple of times - it was just "cyloning" back and forth and making no progress.  hit exit and restart and it would pick up where it left off.  finally said "successful install"

Now, when I run the launcher, go through setup, Successfully set up the system, and hit play, I get a dialog box as follows: "Attention! Please configure your system in the launcher before running FS2 - The launcher will now be started"  and a ok button  when I hit ok, I get "error: Freespace2/Fred2 cannot be run from a drive root directory" and an ok button.

when i hit ok, I'm back at my desktop

suggestions, clues or requests for more information would be welcomed

Thanks,
Redpillstl

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
I just downloaded the launcher and had everything go from scratch, no CDs. Everything seems to work - except asteroids are invisible and invincible. I cannot see them or hit them, although they are targeted in their white boxes.
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
I just downloaded the launcher and had everything go from scratch, no CDs. Everything seems to work - except asteroids are invisible and invincible. I cannot see them or hit them, although they are targeted in their white boxes.

Turn on Jpeg/Tga textures in the launcher.

ok, I downloaded the installer and ran it against a fresh-off-bittorrent-retail-install   ( had to use demon tools to get the cd's images to be recognized) I actually have a set of cd's somewhere - but I'm unable to locate them at the moment.

I had to restart the open installer a couple of times - it was just "cyloning" back and forth and making no progress.  hit exit and restart and it would pick up where it left off.  finally said "successful install"

Now, when I run the launcher, go through setup, Successfully set up the system, and hit play, I get a dialog box as follows: "Attention! Please configure your system in the launcher before running FS2 - The launcher will now be started"  and a ok button  when I hit ok, I get "error: Freespace2/Fred2 cannot be run from a drive root directory" and an ok button.

Thanks,
Redpillstl

Where'd you install to?
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Thanks,
Redpillstl

Where'd you install to?

C:\games\freespace2

redpillstl

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Ah.  Browse to the Freespace2 exe file in the top of the Launcher.  Select the one you want to use (make sure it's in the FS2 dir)... is that your problem?

Offline Inquisitor

I have linked the text of the original post by Turey to the SCP page on the wiki:

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_fs2_open

Feel free to update as necessary or correct any transcription errors :)
No signature.

So the online installer link is not working for me.  It looks like that page is down?  That site is totally down?  For anyone else? 
Thanks. 

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
So the online installer link is not working for me.  It looks like that page is down?  That site is totally down?  For anyone else? 
Thanks. 

It works for me, and I haven't heard anyone else complain. Perhaps whoever is in control of your internet connection is blocking it? Can you try from a different internet connection?

Offline mnftg64

Derelict and DuesExMachina don't seem to be downloading or even installing, are those files down?

Offline RazorsKiss

• The Cutting Edge
    • RazorsKiss.net
Derelict is not.

http://fringespace.org/downloads/scp/derelict/

That's where the installer pulls it from.
Fringespace - Tachyon: Revived   ModDB Listing   Razorskiss.net 

You only think you can outfly me.

Offline Teta

Hi folks

I installed the installer, but when i click on the fs2_open_3_6_9 button (to open it, presumeably!) i get the following message:

"cant understand 'videocardfs2open' registry entry"

i hit ok, and then get:

"run the fs2_open launcher to fix your problem. Would you like to download the latest version of the launcher? you must have at least version 5.0to run fs2_open version 3.6"

if i click OK it opens an internet page which cannot be found, if i double click the "launcher" (the button whose icon looks like a paw) it gives me a "illegal error" message.

Anyone got any idea whats going on!!!

Thanks, Rowan

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Run the Launcher.exe file, and tell the Launcher where to get the fs_open_3_6_9 file , then after setting the options, press "Apply" then "Run"

Oh, and
:welcome:

Offline Teta

hmmm, when i press it it says:

"Launcher has caused an error in mfc42.dll, launcher will now close"
Is this gonna be a case of uninstall everythng and try again?

I might add, i allready have FS2 installed, i was told that was allright but, could that be causing a problem?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Try re-downloading the launcher from here.

Offline Teta

Brilliant thanks trurey, works now  :D

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok Turey, I decided to fire up your installer on a Mac again.  This time a Mac with OS X Tiger 10.4, and Java 1.5, so it should be good, right?

Well, I had to tell it where to install, which is a bit odd, because whatever window it is that asks for the install path, didn't have a box to just type in a directory, and didn't seem to have a way to go to the parent folder (..) either.  So I decided I could just install it to a folder on my desktop and move it later.  I would have rather just been able to install it straigh to the applications folder but I just could not find a way to do that.

Anway, I hit the next button, unchecked both boxes when asked to update only, and whether to get everything, since I didn't have anything to update and didn't want to download everything since I only wanted a few core files.  So I hit next again, and the terminal window showed that it was going through and getting all of the mod files, and after awakenings showed up in the list, it just stopped.  The main window didn't show anything but a big white area, that I could scroll up and down in.  I couldn't hit next, couldn't click anything in the white area as far as I can tell, I wasn't prompted to do anything, it just stopped.  A bit of a bug, although it's odd, because a few weeks ago, I think I used the gui version on a friend of mine's mac, and it seemed to work ok.  I don't know if anything's been changed since then, just that it doesn't like my mac now.

Just thought I'd let you know, I'll help troubleshoot if you need it, or maybe you can help me if I'm just doing something wrong.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
@Turey: told you :p
@chief1983: Click the button that has the directory name in it.

big red button:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 09:06:58 pm by jr2 »