Author Topic: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?  (Read 187678 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
Well, besides a showdown between a Ravana and a Solaris destroyer...  ;)

I have to agree with requests for better anti-cap ship options. I got shredded whenever I went near GTVA forces, as was expected, so I just hung out at range and plinked turrets, and generally sacrificed my wingmen so I could live. Also, I know a big deal is made of 'fighting smart', with ships jumping out, but it seemed overplayed in the mission against the Carthage. EVERY enemy cruiser and corvette jumped out before I could finish them, and all friendly ships are simply massacred. Sure, it was all part of Steele' "according to keikaku" plan, but it felt unrealistic for a major engagement for the enemy not to lose a single vessel.

It's not unrealistic if it plays by the rules of the setting. Those ships all triggered their jump drives when they fell below a certain percent, and we made sure that they'd all had enough time to recharge since their last jump to do so. It would've been unrealistic for them not to do so.

What you can do (and what may make you feel better about the battle) is use your Archers or Paveways to disable some of those ships. Then they can't warp out and will get owned.

Offline Flak

I haven't tried with the others, but I did managed to destroy the Juarez by hitting the engines with scalpels.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Cruisers tend to die before they can jump out, especially if they come under fire from several spacecraft and a warship. Same goes for AWACS vessels, except that those can die even if you only have four to five wingmen. The last four AWACS I attacked went down before they could jump out.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
In the rest of War in Heaven I want mass Gef killing.

Offline duff

Some people are complaining that the player (Laporte) doesnt play a big enough role in battles. I like it the way it is, it just feels more realistic. In the original fs1 and fs2 campaign i was wondering why the GTVA (and other races) build these huge destroyers, frigates, corvettes and so on. One fighter was strong enough to disable capships. It just didn't make any sense.
AND i think Laporte is going to play a large role in the upcoming part. (Why else would the council be so interested in her?)

I would like to hear voiced dialogues. It's just very hard to read the text while fighting a dozen Tevs. I know that this is a lot of work. But it would double the fun. And immersion.

Another wish: Add some easier missions, that we (i think, I'm not the only one) don't have to try 20 times. Don't get me wrong, i like these long and challenging missions. But sometimes i was close to giving up (or did give up for a couple of hours ;) ) and i think some shorter missions between the difficult ones would boost morale.

But my most important wish: just finish the mod. I'm going to play it anyway.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:06:04 pm by duff »

Offline Flak

It is supposed to be like that, as in 'real life', the player character should not be the 'one man army' among several squads of red shirts.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It is supposed to be like that, as in 'real life', the player character should not be the 'one man army' among several squads of red shirts.

Yep. One of our design objectives was to have the wingmen feel as effective and real as the player, so that you were an elite pilot amongst elite pilots, not a one-woman-army.

At one point we had a mission where there was a bonus goal to beat your various fellow Wargods' kill counts; unfortunately we realized the code behind the SEXP that tracks a ship's kills only works for players, not AI, so we had to cut it.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
sounds like a feature request for FSO. ;7
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
That kind of mission would be a great idea (in fact, it sounds like something I'd really like to FRED).

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny

Yep. One of our design objectives was to have the wingmen feel as effective and real as the player, so that you were an elite pilot amongst elite pilots, not a one-woman-army.

At one point we had a mission where there was a bonus goal to beat your various fellow Wargods' kill counts; unfortunately we realized the code behind the SEXP that tracks a ship's kills only works for players, not AI, so we had to cut it.

Spoiler:
I like it the way it is, but especially in the Saturn mission diving headfirst into Tev bomber formations with cannons blazing to break them up was pretty fun.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline sgtbeil

You need to be more careful about overtly presenting the UEF's viewpoint with the campaign and overtly outlining its differences from how the GTVA operates, because nothing hurts a story worse than it looking like it's biased. Now I've said before that a fighterpilot shipboard during active combat is the wrong place to try and be studying the horror of war unless you're careful, and I don't think you were careful enough.  WiH has a bad habit of still being able to hear the author talking when the work is trying to speak. Can I point to anything in particular? No, not really.

I'm sure you can find it yourself since you know the story better than I. Subtlety is rarely the result of concious thought in storytelling.

yeah, do a few missions from the GTVA's point of view

Offline utops

• rip: microprose,black isle, troika.
I want to be helmsman on capship in next relase. :) Just return from Blade It Self , that was awesome i  love it.
What if ?

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
These are some ideas for Part 2

1) I'd like Samuel Bei and Noemi Laporte to meet and to find out what the secret Project is
-as an addendum, I'd like corey and taylor to return

2) Dang it! I want to know who Ken is...if he's who I think he is. His opinion that the Tev-Zod alliance should die rings bells

3) What's the Stance of the BP Team on the FS2 Alpha 1 surviving the Battle of Capella?

'Cos I'd like to see the FS2 Alpha One ( still leading the 70th Blue Lions) in story as a War Hero from the Second Incursion - He doesn't have to be named:

His family have a tradition of taking the callsign Alpha One as their name when in service. Including his father who fought in Operation Templar, his Grandfather who was trapped in sol. [I don't include ST/ST:R A1 because we ALL know that was Bosch.]

I think, if the Storyline is GTVA POV, he should defect to UEF. If is UEF side, he is a sort of reoccuing boss as a rival and nemesis to the Player Character. Someone the PC hates, but respects and considers honorable (unless he has since crossed the moral event hoizon) and hates him even more for that...Actually, that has merit for a campaign in universe all of its own...

Granted I know that FS2 has a live/die choice for the ending and I hate to force my opinion of the outcome on others but... it might be interesting to see...

4) I'd also like to see Snipes turn up

5)Last but not least and most of all, I want the story to be as good as, if not better than Part 1.
I also want the WiH cliffhanger to be the most shocking of all
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
These are some ideas for Part 2

1) I'd like Samuel Bei and Noemi Laporte to meet and to find out what the secret Project is
-as an addendum, I'd like corey and taylor to return

You didn't read the post-credit dialogue in Sunglare did you? Sam Bei is already deeply involved in that secret project.

You missed the appearance of the GTCv Snipes in the Artemis Station cutscene. Ships are not named for living people.

5)Last but not least and most of all, I want the story to be as good as, if not better than Part 1.
I also want the WiH cliffhanger to be the most shocking of all

We'll certainly try.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
You missed the appearance of the GTCv Snipes in the Artemis Station cutscene. Ships are not named for living people.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Actually, they are. But not very often.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek:

Whoa there. I'm not necessarily sure Snipes is confirmed dead in BP canon.

He could have gone on some deep cover assignment and changed his name and pretended to be dead, too.  :nervous:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Let's look at the facts though. That assignment would have to be really, REALLY deep cover, since just as ships are only rarely named after living people, they are only rarely named after shadowy deep cover agents who do their best to remain unknown, indicating that Snipes must have done something to earn public recognition. Otherwise the naming ceremony for that ship would have been kinda awkward ("We name this ship Snipes, after an awesome deep cover operative who .... errr .... did various highly classified things we can't tell you about. Rest assured, his conduct was always exemplary. At least, I think it was. I mean, [REDACTED] is good, right?")....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm not ready to declare Snipes canonically deaded, is all. Petrarch was one thing.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Let's look at the facts though. That assignment would have to be really, REALLY deep cover, since just as ships are only rarely named after living people, they are only rarely named after shadowy deep cover agents who do their best to remain unknown, indicating that Snipes must have done something to earn public recognition. Otherwise the naming ceremony for that ship would have been kinda awkward ("We name this ship Snipes, after an awesome deep cover operative who .... errr .... did various highly classified things we can't tell you about. Rest assured, his conduct was always exemplary. At least, I think it was. I mean, [REDACTED] is good, right?")....

How about - joining the 14th battlegroup as a crewman on the Labouchere (Under an assumed name after his Snipes persona was 'killed'), to monitor the situation with the 14th's attempted takeover of Sol, after the botched transit and the events therein, he got caught in the defection. His objectives then changed - bring down the UEF from the inside. He was the guy that the Wargods theorised betrayed them with the Elders meeting schedule and more.

Snipes is Steele's shadow hand.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp