Author Topic: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?  (Read 188104 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
I think UEF can do to stop the massive advance of the forces of GTVA through surgical strikes, so will damage the logistics and force the GTVA to negotiate a cease-fire
Also, main problem with that (at least given the strategic setting at the end of WiH) is that logistics are currently assured by Vasudans, and the UEF definitely want to avoid them entering open hostilities.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:24:46 pm by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I don't really like using Slammers.

Strangely enough, despite the awe-inspiring arsenal of UEF missiles, I seem to like using only the Maul and Rapier in WiH. Maybe it's because the Shivans tend to rely a lot more on primaries, but then again... :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline -Norbert-

Also, main problem with that (at least given the strategic setting at the end of WiH) is that logistics are currently assured by Vasudans, and the UEF definitely want to avoid them entering open hostilities.
That's not true. If I remember it correctly, then someone in mission said something about the wargod cutting a quater out of the GTVAs logistical abilities, that would mean at least two other Anemois if the Presedjet was already in system by that time (which I doubt).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:49:00 am by -Norbert- »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I think captured Jovian installations also count for logistics, not only Anemois and Tawarets.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
In modern supply chain theory what determines your output is the bottleneck. (Obviously in hindsight) it doesn't matter to your output if you add say, more wrapper machines when you haven't got enough chocolate mixers. Though of course the jump node is the bottleneck for the GTVA, aside from that they have bottlenecks on the Sol side too. Thus 'a 1/4 of the GTVA's logistics capability is really quite vague - what part of the chain does it refer to? The 1 Anemoi = 1/4, therefore GTVA have 3 Logistic ships and captured UEF facilities equal to 1 ship = 4 Anemois type of reasoning is an oversimplication imo. What can the Vasuadans do? To what degree can they alleviate the bottleneck, and will be the new bottleneck? Realistically they can help out in all sorts of places, but there might still be major holes - for example they might not be able to help with destroyer repair.

This also lead me to think about the Hecate. We know the Hecate was designed before logistic ships and lead an expedition out into the Nebula. Does that mean despite its medicore combat abilities the Hecate runs on fewer supplies or carries more internally? Is the new fleet, designed in parallel or after supply ships, designed to be dependent upon them, maximizing combat capabilities at the cost of supply capacity? Is that why we see Hecates (Meridian and Hood) in the Sol theater, as they provide more logistic bang per buck (in addition to keeping some new fleet assets in reserve in case of a Shivan invasion)?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:00:01 am by Ypoknons »
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
A large part of the advantage to Vasudan logistics is that they're basically diplomatically invulnerable.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
It sounds like American supply convoys early in WWII, except that the UEF knows it needs to keep inside the lines to win.

Offline Gunteen6

• Don't let life get you down! Get up! Go!
    • S31-IKS Parent Boards
Not a position I'd like to find myself in. being in a position where both sides are crying out for my support is frustrating. Though the fact that the Vasudans were so easily swayed by rumor and false intel to the point that they didn't even begin to search for evidence shows ulterior motive from the Vasudans... I'll lay fake monies that there is an unspoken deal between either the Vasudans in general and Steele or just the admiral on that Vasudan Destroyer in WiH...

EDIT: additional thoughts

What do I want to see? I want to see an explanation for the ship that jumped in with a hostile IFF in the WiH finale and then disappeared from sensors the instant I got its IFF... Nobody saw it, nobody said a thing, and I didn't have time to investigate it.

Then my AWACS gets melted in the face.

I smell a rat.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:29:47 am by Gunteen6 »
Gunteen6 is now S31-Syntax! If I could change the name, I would!

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What do I want to see? I want to see an explanation for the ship that jumped in with a hostile IFF in the WiH finale and then disappeared from sensors the instant I got its IFF... Nobody saw it, nobody said a thing, and I didn't have time to investigate it.

There was an actual ship? I always assumed the Carthage somehow managed to TAG the AWACS, for some reason.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
The Five-Disc Complete Collector's Edition Blu-ray.  Featuring the 'War in Heaven: The Final Cut' , spectacularly restored and remastered from original elements and scanned at 4K resolution, containing never-before-seen added/extended scenes, added lines, new and improved special effects, director and fredder commentary, an all-new 5.1 Dolby® Digital audio track and more..  Plus the other four versions of the campaign and 10 hours of additional bonus features.   All packaged in a snazzy tin with a UEFg Karuna scale miniature.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The Five-Disc Complete Collector's Edition Blu-ray.  Featuring the 'War in Heaven: The Final Cut' , spectacularly restored and remastered from original elements and scanned at 4K resolution, containing never-before-seen added/extended scenes, added lines, new and improved special effects, director and fredder commentary, an all-new 5.1 Dolby® Digital audio track and more..  Plus the other four versions of the campaign and 10 hours of additional bonus features.   All packaged in a snazzy tin with a UEFg Karuna scale miniature.
I would so buy that.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

What mission? Delenda Est?
el hombre vicio...

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
That's the fighter that TAGs your support ship. An Aurora I think...

Offline -Norbert-

A large part of the advantage to Vasudan logistics is that they're basically diplomatically invulnerable.
If the Vasudan logistic ships ever get attacked by the UEF the Vasudans have absolutely no right to be outraged about it, after all they are helping in the invasion by giving logistic support and thus they are a far more legitimate targets than the fleeing civilians that were killed under Steels orders.
If I was in charge of the UEF and caught a Vasudan logistic ship, I'd capture it and send the crew (as unharmed as possible) back home along with the above statement.

Supplying weapons to an enemy (or doing any more than emergency repairs to enemy weapons) isn't neutral at all. It's a declaration of war in it's own right, coupled with the lack of resolve to go all the way.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Whether or not they have a right to get outraged by it, however, they're probably going to get outraged. The Vasudans are a people of ornate and complex protocol and I suspect that they view logistical intervention as proportionate retaliation for the UEF's deceptive attempt to capture two of their ships. If the UEF attacks their ships it would be further escalation.

Offline -Norbert-

But they provided the support before the Presedjet was attacked, why else would it be present in Sol? You don't send a massive and costly logistics ship to observe the situation.
What justification do they have for providing support without any provocation from the UEF?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
"Consider this a gift from the enemy of your enemy."

That made me think.. who's the real enemy?
el hombre vicio...

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
That really was confusing...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
But they provided the support before the Presedjet was attacked, why else would it be present in Sol? You don't send a massive and costly logistics ship to observe the situation.
What justification do they have for providing support without any provocation from the UEF?

Preexisting treaty obligation.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations

I would buy that without a doubt!!!  :nod:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-