Author Topic: Player flyable Karuna  (Read 8304 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you have selected BP2 as the active mod, FRED will automatically pick that up as well.

If you are after specific assets, you will have to open the vps, of course.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, just select BP2 as a mod in the launcher, then launch FRED.

Offline CKid

Thank You. :)
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline -Norbert-

Alternativeley you could also create a link to FRED and give it the parameter -mod BluePlanet2.... though that will have some funny consequences should you select another mod in the launcher.
But I'd definately recommend using the launcher instead, even though it was the only method (I knew of) in the past.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Starting 3.6.12 fred2 uses mod as selected in launcher. But if you do create a shortcut to fred with custom mod parameter, it doesn't have any "funny" consequences at all. However, you need to use -mod blueplanet2, blueplanet, mediavps_3612. Setting blueplanet2 alone is not sufficient because fred2 doesn't parse mod.ini's.

Offline Qent

Actually when I used the launcher AND -mod it crashed. :(

Offline -Norbert-

It didn't crash for me.... odd.
I just tried again and it loaded up fine.... though I didn't try to save a file.

Starting 3.6.12 fred2 uses mod as selected in launcher. But if you do create a shortcut to fred with custom mod parameter, it doesn't have any "funny" consequences at all. However, you need to use -mod blueplanet2, blueplanet, mediavps_3612. Setting blueplanet2 alone is not sufficient because fred2 doesn't parse mod.ini's.
The side effect I was refering to was me, trying to start a BP FRED and suddenly having ships form BP2 and Wings of Dawn available (one from Parameter, the other from the Launcher settings). It was rather confusing, since I didn't know that 3.6.12 FRED also is affected by the Launcher :lol:
Are the MediaVPs even necessary for FRED, since they aren't changing balance, just graphics and sound?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yes. For the same reason they're necessary for BP2. There are BP assets that reference MediaVPs assets.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
The side effect I was refering to was me, trying to start a BP FRED and suddenly having ships form BP2 and Wings of Dawn available (one from Parameter, the other from the Launcher settings). It was rather confusing, since I didn't know that 3.6.12 FRED also is affected by the Launcher :lol:
What? -mod should completely overwrite whatever you have selected in launcher. If it doesn't, it's a bug.

Are the MediaVPs even necessary for FRED, since they aren't changing balance, just graphics and sound?
Yes. Ships and weapons have references to effects and maps that only exist in the mediavps.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
What? -mod should completely overwrite whatever you have selected in launcher. If it doesn't, it's a bug.
-mod stacks, it doesn't override.  This is not a bug, the coder that implemented -mod went out of his way to implement the stacking feature.

There is code in the works to change this behaviour. I don't know if it is in trunk or not.

EDIT: it doesn't seem to be in trunk.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:13:10 am by Iss Mneur »
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Re: Player flyable Karuna
The Lucifer's shields are said to be "impervious, not merely resistant" to Great War-era weaponry.

Not sure about the poor earthers, but the GTVA's beam weapons should bypass them, right. 

On a side note, a shielded lucifer is present in the Tides of Darkness campaign (one where you fly in shivan ships, but for various plot hole-forming reasons you end up fighting it despite that).  For the hell of it, I entered cheat mode and swapped out my craft's weapons for some of the strongest non-beam weapons I could find.

Some of them were powerful enough that the Lucifer's shields actually weakened and disappeared after blasting away at it for a minute or two.  Either that campaign set lower shield levels on the Luci during the missions its shields were up then Freespace did, or the original Freespace campaign simply has MUCH weaker cheat-weapons available. 

Either way, I suppose its rather moot to speak about this example in the context of what is actually canon, between the questionable nature of that campaign and the fact that it is definitely NOT canon for fighters to be flying around blasting shivan super lasers all over the place.  Though the most fun thing to replace your weapons with IMO is standard flak. 

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Descent: Freespace doesn't actually give the Lucifer shields.  It uses the "invulnerable" tag in FRED.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The Lucifer's shields are said to be "impervious, not merely resistant" to Great War-era weaponry.

Not sure about the poor earthers, but the GTVA's beam weapons should bypass them, right. 

On a side note, a shielded lucifer is present in the Tides of Darkness campaign (one where you fly in shivan ships, but for various plot hole-forming reasons you end up fighting it despite that).  For the hell of it, I entered cheat mode and swapped out my craft's weapons for some of the strongest non-beam weapons I could find.

Some of them were powerful enough that the Lucifer's shields actually weakened and disappeared after blasting away at it for a minute or two.  Either that campaign set lower shield levels on the Luci during the missions its shields were up then Freespace did, or the original Freespace campaign simply has MUCH weaker cheat-weapons available. 

Either way, I suppose its rather moot to speak about this example in the context of what is actually canon, between the questionable nature of that campaign and the fact that it is definitely NOT canon for fighters to be flying around blasting shivan super lasers all over the place.  Though the most fun thing to replace your weapons with IMO is standard flak.

Yeah, like Scotty said the FS1 Lucifer didn't actually have any forms of shields or shield mesh or anything. It just had the 'invulnerable' tag.

Offline crizza

Well...is their any flyable capship besides the Karuna or those for multiplayer?

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Yes:

The UEC Sanctus, UEFg Narayana, GTCv Deimos, and GTCv Diomedes are all working playable capital ships in BP:MULTI.

There is a coop mission in the SVN you can play by yourself called 'Corvette Strike' involving the Playable Deimos.

Well...is their any flyable capship besides the Karuna or those for multiplayer?

Oh 'OR'? I don't think so... unless R2 is doing something I don't know. There are quite a few which are already out there though.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
There is a new one in R2.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Player Hygeia. Yay :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Player Hygeia. Yay :D
Yeah :P they do send you flying support after failing a mission in FS2 retail (iirc)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Only in a debrief, text has no KAPOW¬! visual panache. Yeah, BP2.5 will be amaaaaaaaaayzing, TAC1 control next plox. :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, Pharos control. ;)