Author Topic: Did FS2 Command survive Capella?  (Read 8369 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Did FS2 Command survive Capella?
I've never given it much thought, but reading the ending of Apocalypse it's not actually clear to me that Allied Command expects to get out of Capella. I guess we could do a little detective work about the implied location of Command...

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: Did FS2 Command survive Capella?
I always assumed the Command operative was out of 3rd Fleet Headquarters and was evacuated on the Messana.

I always assumed the Command operative was out of 3rd Fleet Headquarters and was evacuated on the Messana.
That was my assumption as well.
If I recall corectly, during Dunkerque Command is sending messages from 3rd Fleet HQ, and later from the Messana.

Offline crizza

I allways thought that as long as an allied ship( your own fighter for example) was in the mission area, command was linked to the ship.
So when he said "This is command, signing of." He simply cut the comm lines.
I always imagined that guy like a General Solomon watching a screen, waiting how many ship make it...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the reading where Command is out of Capella by that point.

Huh. If Command's in HQ up until the evac then that implies the GTVA has very good intersystem comms. Personally I'd always assumed he was on the Aquitaine, but admittedly I don't really know what Command's rank and role actually are.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline crizza

Is there one command? Hardly, one person cannot do the talking to the whole of the GTVA Navy.
Maybe each fleet has it's own command guy in GTVA HQ, doing the talking from there or some other installation.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I figure that "command" is a flight/fighter control officer for the Aquitaine, the potential flaw in that being the Vasudan exchange phase of the game, but that could also explained by the officer transferring with the player
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Haji

Seeing as the Command has the power to order warships, even destroyers, around, I always assumed that the "Allied Command" was the central military authority of the GTVA, located... I'm not actually sure where. Beta Aquilea maybe?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's possible (I would say 'very probable') that the Command we see is just a handler, kind of a capcom or controller for broader command structures. In a complex tactical situation it can be pretty valuable to have all your orders coming from one decisive authority.

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
Battuta's notion is  the assumption I've always gone with.  A less practical but more fanciful version would be that the "Command Head" we see and hear is actually a real-time virtual overlay that any high-level officer can use to issue orders--especially if those orders might involve high-level military and political intrigue.  (I seem to think this was covered somewhere else once? Maybe?)
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Given the development of computers that we have seen so far IRL the idea that it is the front end of some form of AI Battlefield management system I would say is not out of the question and would explain the uniformity regardless of time of day, squadron or ship/base posting
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
GTVAs first attempt to make a Ken with technology they took from GTI.

Offline -Sara-

Command is a command structure, a staff of appointed flag officers who make the tactical decisions in line with the wishes of the GTVA security council and for the preservation of GTVA interests. The black male we see whenever Command contacts us, is just a communications officer who voices the orders of Command directly to the pilot.

The ONLY reason for why Command is always the same guy, is because of out-of-universe reasons, which is a lack of resources at Volition's side during the creation of Freespace 2. I think that if Freespace 2 were made today, Command would have concisted of a dozen different officers, depending on who happens to have their shift while you are piloting.

An excellect example (at 26m 44s mark): https://youtu.be/hRDdRp12BuE?t=26m44s

That's how I see it anyway.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hi Sara

Offline -Sara-

Hullo Battuta. Yep it's me, the ghost of the BP boards, usually sneaking in and back out to stay away for the next three months or so.  :lol:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:44:03 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In BtA, I've gone with Command being a handler of sorts stationed on the player's flagship. If the flagship is in-mission, then all "command" messages/orders come from the actual ship rather than the handler. The idea is that the command ship, if present in a battle, is the on in-charge and giving all the orders. I dunno how much it really affects the outcome of gameplay, but that's the idea I ran with.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline mr.WHO

I'm with people who think that command guy is just a middle man.

C'mon it's not like fleet admiral contact with every fighter squad on a regular basis, every mission, day by day.

I also got an impresion that the command guy was already on the other side of the node when Capella went nova. GTVA already had already set up a good node communication system, especially if they already had Capella evacuation ongoing for some time since first Sathanas raid. I bet that in that time all comm from and to Capella had best capabilities and capacity in entire GTVA.

Given the development of computers that we have seen so far IRL the idea that it is the front end of some form of AI Battlefield management system I would say is not out of the question and would explain the uniformity regardless of time of day, squadron or ship/base posting

I can't match this with his rather emotional signoff during the final mission though.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

I can't match this with his rather emotional signoff during the final mission though.

I wouldnt say emotional,  well didnt affect me all that much, but that was a very human phrasing in the situation so there is that