Author Topic: NuA-Wing  (Read 20567 times)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Stepping back into the Nu Series, here we have our first shot of the A-Wing, a WIP of course

Update:

Model and texture now complete, yay!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 12:54:28 am by brandx0 »
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Nice. I assume the texture is very early WIP. (as you stated)
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Now we need a mission where it slams into an Executor bridge. :P

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Oh purdy I always loved the A Wing
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Glorious as ever, Brand. I just have to know though, why is Turambar's revamped model being replaced?

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Just a guess, but Turambar's ships were comparatively low-poly, and less accurate.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
That's a statement, not a guess.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Actually, quite the opposite in this case.  Turambar's A-Wing was well over double the polies that this one has, 7000 roughly.  It was rather high and it was easier to build a new one from scratch than try to optimize the old one.  The model itself was very accurate.

Also, an update

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
How long will this be?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Not long at all.  A-wing is tiny, only pilotable with any shred of comfort by the shortest of rebel pilots.  They fill out the cockpit.  It'll be just over 6m long.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Which, technically is a compromise, considering the actual A-Wing model, scaled to the pilot is just over 4.5m long.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Latest Update:

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
So is this one supposed to look new and shiny like the E Wing, or is the grime untextured?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
He always makes the clean one and then puts dirt on as additional layers in the .psd as required.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
So when 3.6.11 rolls around will it have support for choosing different textures (i.e. like the nameplate dilemma) so that you can have different states of dirtiness?

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
That's already supported in FRED.

Heck, you could probably FRED a mission where the worse a ship is damaged, the ickier the textures.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
For our purposes, I don't think our fighters will generally have the lifespan to make that worthwhile.

Heck, you could probably FRED a mission where the worse a ship is damaged, the ickier the textures.

That sounds like a great idea. I've always hated how most games don't have this feature. If I remember correctly, there was this Mechwarrior rip-off called Gnome that had numerous 'damaged' models that popped up whenever you shot your enemy enough times.

@Brandx: I've no idea how this game will turn out just from seeing the gameplay vids, but the idea of a one-hit kill sim game kinda scares me. Its bold, too bold if you ask me. The only thing I can think of to counter this is to make the ships exceedingly difficult to fly and stir, feature jamming systems or anything to make gameplay harder. 

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Not long at all.  A-wing is tiny, only pilotable with any shred of comfort by the shortest of rebel pilots.  They fill out the cockpit.  It'll be just over 6m long.

Hmmm. I don't doubt this, as you've certainly cross-referenced film images as well as actual models. However, that IS shockingly small. And though probably right, is apparently not canon, at least to all the sites I've been to so far (to check the length). All sources state that the A-Wing is at least 9.6 meters in length.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/awingstarfighter/index.html

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A-Wing

Forgive me for citing a "pedia."

Really, even the X-Wing is tiny. 12.5 meters is shorter than a modern fighter plane, no questions asked. 9.6 meters is nothing!

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke