Author Topic: New member with obligatory questions  (Read 2047 times)

New member with obligatory questions
Hi guys and gals,

I've recently purchased freespace 2 off of gog.com (So recently that I'm still waiting for the installer to finish downloading). I'd been looking at the game for some time and after seeing your project on here I got all trigger happy with my cash. Unfortunately the reason that I decided to part with my money is a ship that isn't on the current roster and was only mentioned before the new management. Namely, the Dominator Interdictor ISD.

Myself and a couple of friends had been looking to replay the Battle of Brentaal IV, shown in Rogue Squadron: Mandatory Retirement. We both have X Wing Alliance and I was planning on using the DSUCP, but I'm suffering from the dreaded 99 km bug. Also the style of FotG seems better than XWA. Don''t get me wrong, I love XWA, but even with the Upgrade project it's rather limited and relies on a lot of workarounds to get things working. Now when I saw the Dominator mentioned on these forums, I put my foot down decided that this was something I didn't want to miss out on (as well as playing a classic space sim that I'd missed out on when it was originally released). Unfortunately the Dominator has not been mentioned since the shake up and restart.

Now I'm not going to say that you have to include the ship in FotG, cos that would just be rude. I know the shipset isn't finalised nor is it conclusive. I just had a couple of questions:

1. What are the chances of seeing a variety of EU craft for those happily obsessed people who want to see/live out the battles that were mentioned in the novels/graphic novels? I'm not talking specific craft, but I have seen the E Wing and the Immobilizer Cruiser in the current roster and was wondering what time periods the EU craft were going to cover.

2. In the same way that FS2 is hugely moddable, will there be the same possibilities after FotG is released? Will people who want extra craft/skymaps/missions be able to create them using the modding tools available for FS2SCP? I'm nowhere near a good modeler but Star Wars has a way of finding new ways to... motivate me (See what I did there?)

Thanks in advance.

mad.array
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:29:56 am by mad.array »
Excuse me, my name is THX 1139. I was wondering if you had room for me?

No... ok. No, don't worry. I'm used to it.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: New member with obligatory questions
1. Our official "guideline" is to create the movie ships first, but we take whatever we get - see the Carrack cruiser or the Z-95 for example.

2. FotG will be as moddable as FreeSpace 2, since FotG uses the FreeSpace 2 engine.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Re: New member with obligatory questions
Thanks for the swift reply.

It's good to know that there will be EU content. After looking at the Z95 I'm looking forward to future content. I know there's usually some controversy about the exact design of the ship but I've always preferred the style that's shown in your gallery.

I'm also glad to hear that there will be the possibility of further expansion through the community. Modding a mod of an open source conversion of an engine... that's a lot of levels.

Again, thanks for the swift and informative reply.
Excuse me, my name is THX 1139. I was wondering if you had room for me?

No... ok. No, don't worry. I'm used to it.