Author Topic: "Mig-37 Ferret"  (Read 17359 times)

Theres something not quite right with it and I can't seem to put my finger on it.  :shaking:
BTW i've found quite a few different/odd/funny/wow imaginary aircraft that could look very cool

That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Neato, but the rear end of the cockpit is way too long, and the big thing on the center needs to be pulled up/the sides around it need to be lowered, so it's more raised than blended into the body :) (If you want to make it look like the pictures :) ).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 10:25:29 pm by Unknown Target »

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
That fighter is beautifull! :nod: :yes:

Offline Water

If you sort out the wing roots - that will sort the first stage. You're going to have to spend more than your usual amount of polys though. It's a nice complex shape  :)

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I see three major differences: (unless you planned it that way)

1.) you have 3 rear intakes versus the depicted 4.  The back of the raised cockpit has to go all the way back and divide the rear section with 2 vents per side. you have it ending before the vent in the middle of the three.

2.) The flaps for the air brakes are not defined (probably going to be added as a texture later on I would guess at this point).

3.) You side intakes are totally off. Doesn't help you got three diff ref sources and 1 of them differs greatly (the angled part of the outer side sloping downward towards the wings while the fuselage side is flat).

That's my impression.
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

I see three major differences: (unless you planned it that way)

1.) you have 3 rear intakes versus the depicted 4.  The back of the raised cockpit has to go all the way back and divide the rear section with 2 vents per side. you have it ending before the vent in the middle of the three.

2.) The flaps for the air brakes are not defined (probably going to be added as a texture later on I would guess at this point).

3.) You side intakes are totally off. Doesn't help you got three diff ref sources and 1 of them differs greatly (the angled part of the outer side sloping downward towards the wings while the fuselage side is flat).

That's my impression.

1. Good catch, I'll fix that.
2. Flaps are kinda unnecessary as this will a space-based version, sorta like my F-19, but they could be textured on.
3. I don't remember how many undo-restarts I had with those. The model is much too shiney to get a good idea of whats what. Although I think the inside-inside of the intake isn't straight up and down rather it's part of the main hull (slanted), unlike the intakes outside wall.

Heres some more better looking ones, they used a dull finish instead of gloss.
Hmm wish I still had my model of it when i was a kid.  :sigh:

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

How about this?

Nice plane, too bad it can never be a spacecraft. If you can make it spacecraft-like then I might like it.
I have created a masterpiece.

Replace the air intakes with bussard scopes, add gun mounts and vola  ;7

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it's too short, compared to the source it looks squished. (exept for the tail fins)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
a 3d cockpit versus the current hill like rise would realy add to the feel of flying an earth fighter in space.

The vertical layout isn't quite the same... mines a bit fatter
Cockpit layout isn't correct, I just cut the cockpit out of the hull to give some sense.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
looking nice. but where the gun/missle ports? you dont want a starfox: command situation with lasers shooting off of blank places in the wings!

Well the missiles are house internally, as for the guns, I don't know if the Ferret would have had guns, the F-119 doesn't.  For the starship version, possibly under the intakes, only real place thats thick enough.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
maybe mounted under the wings, like a transport jets engines?

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Update?  Sorry I lost track of this thread for a while....

Yeah looks a LOT closer to teh pics! I see one possible discrepency, the wing vent's outer wall. You got a sort of rounded cap raised up off the hull. In teh pics it slants downward at an angle forward all the way to the hull with no bump.

Damn it's so shiny it is hard to tell details on that sucker. :D

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Theres also some work needed to be done with the base of the tail rudders.

I think a few days after I posted that last message I got my new computer up and running, so it kinda took a back seat.  Boy do I have the models that need to be finished.

Ready to be finalized:
  • Scimitar[/i]
Waiting for multiangle turrets:
  • Lancer
  • Washington, done and in pof, waiting again for turrets
Converting now:
  • Kavor
Painted and ready to convert:
  • Ashear
  • Nighthawk
  • Steltek scout (been done for ages/year now)
  • Neph. corvette
UV Mapped:
  • Gladius (also been ready for ages)
  • Hhaifra
  • jalthri
  • kilrathi frigate
  • Sartha
  • admiral cheaters destroyer (codename "deimos")
Primed and ready to uvmap:
  • Dragon
  • Midway 2
  • 3 different neph fighters/bomber
  • Neph cruiser
  • waterloo
  • Civy Station
  • Fralthi Mk 3 cruiser
Incomplete as of yet:
  • the F-37 Ferret
  • Unnamed battleship (cruiser)
  • Devastator
  • Warlock dreadnaught
  • Snakier

and thats not all... in my imcomplete folder (I keep spare/old/not really want to work on stuff) i've got:
broadsword that needs repainting BADLY ewwwww
thunderwing that needs to be fixed, I used mesh smoothing on it  ::) YUCK
jotunheim, the cross between my aurora and the event horizon
krell, the one from privater 2, needs repainting badly too
morningstar needs repainting too

I'll post pics of those last ones sometime down the road
 :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Well the missiles are house internally, as for the guns, I don't know if the Ferret would have had guns, the F-119 doesn't.  For the starship version, possibly under the intakes, only real place thats thick enough.
Never heard of the F-119 - did you mean the F-117?  BTW, I like the way the stealth F-22 does the trick - they house the gun in a port that opens when the gun fires, and then closes afterwards.  Keeps it stealthy... I'm sure Stealth would love that.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Is the F-22's gun mount a port that opens and closes?  I thought it was a thin protective strip that broke on contact with the first round (just like WWII style guns that were protected from dust using red tape).
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Nope.  Google for a video of it being tested; it's cool.  8)