Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 31682 times)

Offline mxlm

There was an entertaining novel that dealt with the physics of dragon wings thusly: it's magic. Of course it violates the laws of physics. Consequently, if a dragon ever leaves a zone of rich magic, its body immediately fails and it dies. Horribly.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
perhaps the dragon's magic is used altering the dragon's weight, instead of used driving muscles at impossible forces.  Also, it is reasonable that as flying reptilians, dragons would have hollow bones and other weight-reduced components similar to birds
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

So, you've got a two story tall flying lizard that breathes fire, and it's the flying part you guys have trouble with, not the 'fire breathing' part?

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
So, you've got a two story tall flying lizard that breathes fire, and it's the flying part you guys have trouble with, not the 'fire breathing' part?

there are all sorts of chemicals in real life that you can mix together to make fire.  there aren't all sorts of chemicals that can make a giant reptilian monster easily achieve flight.

Oh, and also, if you are playing the game and you notice that corpses are taking a long time to become lootable, this is due to the memory leak.  Save and restart your game and corpses will become lootable in a shorter amount of time.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:14:27 am by Turambar »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
perhaps the dragon's magic is used altering the dragon's weight, instead of used driving muscles at impossible forces.

Mass Effect.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline mxlm

Wait, there's a dragon in Mass Effect? There's magic in Mass Effect? Or is that some reference I'm going to understand once I've played the game (which will be, uh, after I finish Dragon Age)?
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
He's referring to the phenomenon known as mass effect within Mass Effect.

Explanation starting at 0:37 if you still don't get it.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Dragons are made of Eezo!
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Shale + Large Flawless Fire Crystal = Instant Fireproofing

Plus they aren't very ... dragony. Taking them down was rather ... I dunno, not so epic as I'd hoped. Sync kills are always nice though.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
BAh! Keep your tastes. Something like Grim Fandango is interesting as a diversion once in a while.

I like my fantasy like fantasy. And I like it fantastical and realistic (or should I say, believalbe?) You can have both. DA:O is both. It's universe is familiar, but fresh. Fantastical, but believable.

You must live in another world if you consider things like elves, dragons and magic to be believable. :p

Believabel in their actions, the consequences and bahavior. And to a point, physicly.
Can't you immage a earth where evolution went differently and humans ended up with pointy ears?

Relistic, beliavalbe are two different but simmilar things. Is the movie Dungeons and Dragon as immersive/believalbe as LOTR? Which one requires less suspension of disbelief? NOt all things are equal mind you.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Believabel in their actions, the consequences and bahavior. And to a point, physicly.
Can't you immage a earth where evolution went differently and humans ended up with pointy ears?

What about the fire breathing dragons? :p

I don't necessarily need believability though. As I said earlier, I like fantasy worlds if they use that freedom from reality to be creative. The problem is that most of these medieval fantasy universes rely on the same tired old concepts as if they were imposed by reality, even though they are all just made up. Basically, I don't like "standard fantasy," as Yahtzee put it.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think Stephen Fry summed it up quite well where he said there were two specific themes in all Legendary tales, either of 'punishment from high' (which he defined as the Christian legacy, such as the expulsion from Eden) and the 'They're no better than us' fable (such as many Greek legends), and that all these tales told an interesting story about the development of the countries that extolled them.

Magic Fantasy, such as Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights or Oblivion all follow very much the same rules, the original stories were basically morality plays, like a 1600 page version of 'the boy who cried Wolf', they are usually tales of either redemption or responsibility, and the Dragon (at least in Western culture), in many ways, was a personification of 'bad morality', burning homes, 'destroying' virgins, stealing and hording gold, Consdering this type of Fantasy was at its original height in the 16th Century, it's no real surprise that this is also the time that modern conceptions of Hell, Satan and Demons was formed, there's a definite similarity.

As an interesting aside, I found it personally fascinating that, pre-16th century, the UK was much more rural in nature, the enemies of smaller communities were famine, pestilence and, to a lesser degree war (note the Horsemen of the Apocolypse idealogy rearing its head), however, come the 16th Century, more and more people were living in cities, and a new additional enemy reared its head, fire, which wasn't nearly the threat to small rural communities as it was to a large urban one. Just an interesting note ;)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
... I suppose it's unreasonable of me to hope for once the topic stays on topic rather then being de-railed into discussions totally unrelated to the original topic?

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yes :p

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I think a discussion about fantasy cliches is pretty appropriate for a Dragon Age thread, really.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Actually, it's only lost one word from the start, it was Dragon Age: Origins, my last post was about Dragon Origins, that's not bad for 7 pages on HLP ;)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Yes, but knowing HLP, talking 'bout fantasy cliches is bound to lead to a raging debate about underlining philosophies inherent in different intepretations of fantasy.

... I suppose it's unreasonable of me to hope for once the topic stays on topic rather then being de-railed into discussions totally unrelated to the original topic?

In the spirit of youtube:

Gay.

Anyway, just wondering, a friend said this game is great... though, I can't really tell from what's been said here?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's a good game if you like RPG's with very involved storylines, a complex world that requires buckets of reading to learn the history of etc, if you like games that you just drop into a go, it may not be so great, but if you can get into the storyline and enjoy the atmosphere, yes.

It's certainly, as RPGs go, one of the more varied starts with regards to the character you choose at the start of the game, but I don't see any real change in-game depending on alignment outside your relationships with your team, though, maybe that will come in later, since I'm still at the earlier stages (Just killed the Desire Demon in the Fade) that may simply be that my actions have had a knock-on effect yet.