Author Topic: Mech games  (Read 16705 times)

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I've been watching a heckuva lot of Gundam lately (all of SEED and most of 08th MS) and I've got a giant robot itch. I re-installed MW3 which is good and all, brought back fond memories, but it's not really what I'm looking for.

I think what I really want is the mecha equivalent of FSO, something where people can easily make their own campaigns and mods, which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist.

I've played most of the Mechwarrior games, Earthsiege 2, and Starsiege. I bought an Armored Core game once and didn't like it. The Heavy Gear games have slightly piqued my curiousity, and something called Shogo has piqued it moreso, but I believe neither of these is moddable.

The reason FS2, NWN, and Half-Life are some of my favorite games, is because you can keep going after you've finished the main story because there's so much user-created stuff. Now I just want to do that with giant robots.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Well Mechwarrior Mercenaries has MekTek (www.mektek.net), which is basically a giant and updating Mechwarrior mech pack.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I've been looking myself for such a game, but nobody seems to have come up with one.

I know there's a gundam mod in the works for FSO but I have no clue where they're at or what sort of progress they've made.  For myself, I know I have future plans to make a jovian chronicles mod for FSO, but that's a long time coming, more of an idea now than any sort of plan, but I have my ideas.  my First priority is the Star Wars conversion, however.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
 :lol: Shogo is a really great game, you should try it if you have the chance. The problem is that the Mech games suffered the same fate as space sims, both are quite dead (with the exception of Japan for obvious reasons).

As for modding, this is something rather limited, for example: MW4: Mercs has, like Unknow Target said, the Mekpaks, but they only add more mechs and weapons, which while nice gets boring too fast. Moreso because you cant use anything (well, only a very, very few things) of it in the main campaign. :(

You can also try something like Front Mission as well, it has mechs. :) And there also is Starsiege 2845, but that is going to take ages to get it done.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
:sigh:
* redsniper waits for gravity, terrain, and "mecha" ship class in FSO.

Hard Light Productions:

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
:lol: Shogo is a really great game, you should try it if you have the chance. The problem is that the Mech games suffered the same fate as space sims, both are quite dead (with the exception of Japan for obvious reasons).

As for modding, this is something rather limited, for example: MW4: Mercs has, like Unknow Target said, the Mekpaks, but they only add more mechs and weapons, which while nice gets boring too fast. Moreso because you cant use anything (well, only a very, very few things) of it in the main campaign. :(

You can also try something like Front Mission as well, it has mechs. :) And there also is Starsiege 2845, but that is going to take ages to get it done.

I'm glad Shogo is getting some representation here. Also, I thought Starsiege 2845 was canceled. Their website directs to another site, but there's a link to something called Starsiege Survivors.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i finally got mechwarrior 2 to work again. that game kicks ass with the full ch setup i got. ive also been playing mw4 but i still think 2 is better.

ive also been contemplating a battletech mod. it would require alot of script but i figure it would be possible. you would need to override pretty much everything. terrain would be in pof format but a secondary elevation map wound need to be used for vertical colisions. mech physics would be trickey, youd need a vertical bob in sync with the stepping motion. animation and turret functions could be simulated (i have code for some fo this already).

cameras would be used to simulate the pilot viewpoint and the hud replaced with a new one. which would need to be in one of the turret sobjs. there would technically be no turrets used, theese would all be handled in lua. alot of extra matrix math would need to be done because of the complex heirarchy requirements. to be true to battletech each arm would have several joints and could act as an individual turret. torso and sholder would give the first set of x,y gimbals and this is what the player has control of. the upper arm rotation and elbow joint would be handled by firecontrol to make the shot converge on the crosshair at target distance and compensate for ballistic falloff, which i would want in the mod.

the spine joint, which connects the pelvis with the torso, is essentially the top most part of the heirarchy. 3 segment legs would opperate of somewhat of a keyframe system. the file would be based on a cyclical system where the joint angles would be stored at intervals along a time scale. the rate this cycle operates on would be based on throttle position so throttleing up and going into reverse could be handeled properly, this also ties into vertical bobbing motion.

weapon handeling would probibly need to be redone as well. you would have 6 trigger weapons, which would represent firing groups. each trigger weapon takes up one bank. script scans for theese weapons and replaces them with the actual battletech weapons which you have armed. you can have multiple types of weapons on a bank if the mech profile (yet another custom table file to be parsed and handeled by lua) stores the hardpoint count. trigger weapons would be hanled with the cycle flag. so if you know how many guns you have and you have counted how many shots have passed, then you can reference a list of installed weapons and fire them one at a time. bting all this together with some models and you have a really cool mod.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 08:05:25 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Nuke, if I ever do my own Jovian Chronicles mod I SO want you on the team, hehe
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i dont work well in groups, i have a tendancy to impale my teammates and feed their corpses to bears.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!

Hard Light Productions:

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
It was mentioned before, but Shogo: Mobile Armored Division was quite awesome, I suggest you try it out. It's not moddable, unfortunately, and neither is Heavy Gear 2, but the latter is what I consider to be the pinnacle of mech games (except maybe Mechwarrior 3).

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Speaking of Shogo, does anyone knows how to make it work properly in XP? I've tried everything and in the end it works only in software mode. :no:

Offline ToecrusherHammerjaw

• Trayus no more.
I read this and suddenly find myself wishing I could mod Virtual On.  Hands down my favorite mech series, so many awesome mechs to use.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
:wtf: Shogo.

I miss that one. Yeah, I remember trying it on my previous comp loaded with XP - HUD overlay was completely missing, i.e. no HP/AP/ammo readouts/crosshair.

Heavy Gear 2's fun, only I die too fast :wtf: :lol:. And for a Gatling gun, the VHAC isn't graphical enough to feel "awesome"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, that's just me I guess. XD
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I'm trying out MegaMek. It's hard, the AI keeps owning me. :(

Hard Light Productions:

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
I'm trying out MegaMek. It's hard, the AI keeps owning me. :(

Ahhh, megamek, I didnt even managed to understand that thing when I tried it.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
That's cause it's based on a board game and they can't legally give out the rules of the board game in their product.  To play megamek you really need to buy the board game rules.  Megamek isn't a game, it's a gaming aid

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Megamek is CBT with the dice rolls automated.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
mw2 is one of the best i think. not the best graphics or most well designed, but it has mech gameplay second to none.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Davros

shogo does work on xp
i think you either have to enable or disable vsync

or possibly limit the max fps to 60 or less

Edit :
open autoexec.cfg in your shogo folder and add the line

"MaxFps" "30"
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 06:51:25 am by Davros »