Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 146720 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 mu
There is definitely something funny going on with the newer versions. I think I may have found my hosting problem, but if I try to host a game at all with the current 1.5.171 version, it just crashes to the desktop. (I was going to start up a game and check if it's visible off my dad's work dialup connection)

Can you post that old version up somewhere? I think it's worth trying that out again.

[edit] hmm, the forums are acting up again.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 01:30:07 pm by CP5670 »

Offline watsisname

Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
Um... I'll try it, but could someone please tell me exactly how I go about hosting something?  :nervous:
Yes, I know, I know almost nothing about using the internet.  Don't bother drilling it in.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think most ISPs give you some webspace. You can use an FTP program to upload stuff to it. Or you could just email it to me ([email protected], remove the capital letters) and I'll put it up.

Offline watsisname

Ok, I tried uploading them but IE kept freezing up when I did that, so I emailed it to you.  Took a long time but it said it went through... hope it works.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Okay, I have been messing around with this for the last hour and finally narrowed down the problem. There is a setting in the configure->toggles section called "improve UDP/IP networking quality" that was apparently only added in one of the newer builds and is on by default. I'm not sure what it does, but it seems to be the source of all the trouble. Once it's disabled, the games suddenly become visible. Both the host and the players need to have it turned off.

I have put up the old build you sent me here in case we still run into trouble, but let's give the latest one (1.5.173) another try tonight, with that setting turned off.

There is one other strange problem I ran into in the newer build, where if I joined a game, left it, didn't close D2X-XL and rejoined the game, I kept getting destroyed instantly whenever I tried to move. So if that happens to you, just try closing down the game and reopening it (this also applies to the host). I was also earlier running into some crashes when loading up certain savegames, but they seemed to go away when I got rid of my pilot file and created a fresh new one in its place.

Also, it looks like my games are now visible, so I should be able to host if needed.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 06:47:20 pm by CP5670 »

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Tsk. I tested UDP improvement on a LAN, and it worked. Needs probably more testing.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, it was working fine for me too when I put the second computer on my main connection (over a LAN), but the game couldn't be detected off a different connection.

Offline watsisname

Is your game still up?  I couldn't find it with either version, even with unchecking the improve udp/ip networking quality icon.
I'll be free for the rest of tonight and most of tomorrow if you'd like to try this out again.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I hadn't actually set up a game yet. I'll try hosting one in about 30 minutes, after taking care of a few other things I have to do. The IP is 69.138.167.250 with port 28342.

[edit] well, I closed it down since nobody joined. I'll check this thread periodically tonight and start a game again if anyone is free to play.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 11:20:15 pm by CP5670 »

Offline watsisname

I'll be free at around 10pm eastern tonight and for a few hours after that.  Hope to see you then... or sometime after that. ;) :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 07:59:59 pm by watsisname »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
sorry, I was a little busy last night. Are you (or anyone else) free tonight? I am generally available any time after 11:30.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Sorry I've been busy with finals so I've been out of the loop a few days. I'll try unchecking that box, but I won't be able to host/play until after this week when finals are over.  :(
I am a revolutionary.

Offline watsisname

I'm also quite busy this week, so I probably won't be free until the weekend as well.  Maybe we can plan something between Friday and Sunday.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'm posting this bug report here since DBB won't let me register for some reason. (it keeps saying my username has already been taken, no matter what I try using :confused: )

I have been playing through the old D1 Orion Nebula Project level pack through D2X-XL and am running into a few problems. The briefings aren't showing up at all for some reason, even though the txb filename matches up. Also, it seems whenever I fly into a pass-through trigger, the game instantly crashes out. This can be seen in the 5th level of ONP for example, at the point where you get the blue key, but also occurs in some of the other levels.

Offline watsisname

Are we going to be setting up a game today or tomorrow?

CP5670:  No idea what the problem is at DBB.  Have you tried deleting your temp files and cookies?  Maybe that could help.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
hmm, I tried it again through IE instead of Firefox and it worked this time. :confused:

Anyway, I will be available tonight. :)

[edit] what the...it seems that there are actually two different forums at www.descentbb.com and www.descentbb.net. :wtf: I registered at the wrong one. :p

Offline watsisname

Glad to hear you got that sorted out.  Never knew there was a descentbb.com  :blah:

So what time shall we do this?  (Anytime between 9pm and 3am is good) :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Well, the one I was able to register for doesn't have any D2X-XL section like the other one. :p

Does 11:30 sound okay?

By the way, it looks that multiplayer self-destruct bug has been fixed in the latest version. I need to remember to download that before we start playing.

Offline watsisname

11:30 sounds good.  I've installed the newest version and it seems to be running ok.
Edit:  Will you be using the tracker for these games or just the regular UDP?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 10:50:09 pm by watsisname »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'll try setting up a game in about 10 minutes; just need to finish eating dinner.

[edit] Is my game visible? I don't think anyone joined.

It was a normal UDP game, but it might be more convenient to use the tracker now that you mention it. I'll use that this time.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 11:12:17 pm by CP5670 »