Author Topic: Announcement!!!  (Read 13721 times)

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
In case you've been wondering where I have been lately, the following may be explanatory for you:

On Saturday, November 8, 2003, my marvellous girlfriend agreed to marry me! :D:D:D

Congratulate me as you see fit. ;)
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Congratulations man:)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 04:14:06 am by 153 »
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Congrats, bro. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Congrats :D :eek: :yes:

Just remember not to correct her spelling, okay? ;-)
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Congratulations mate!! ^^
Habeeb it...

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Poor bastard. I feel your pain.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Windrunner

• The Hammer.
Best of luck to you mate. And styxx :wtf: ;)
Staffmember: Hard Light Productions
I said a lot of things.  Some of them were even true. - Aldo_14

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Aww, he's just jelous ;)

Congratulations mate, have a good life with her :D

Offline TheCelestialOne

• Man of Exceptional Taste
WEEEEEEEEEE! Another marriage!!! A second HLP marriage :p GO US!

And congrats :D
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

~Supporter of the The Babylon Project~

Like Babylon 5? Like Star Trek? Like science fiction? Go HERE

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
congratz. your life is over.
I hate My signature!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Demands a picture be posted of the happy couple :D

Anyway Congratulations Sesq.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline J3Vr6

Hey congrats Sesqui!  C'mon, share, how did u propose? ;p  We wanna know just how romantic u are :D
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by J3Vr6
Hey congrats Sesqui!  C'mon, share, how did u propose? ;p  We wanna know just how romantic u are :D
:lol: Alright, these are the details as copied from the e-mail I sent to my best friend, who is going to be my best man.  I've added a few clarifying details for you lot:

I had ordered a custom made ring (thin white gold band with a sapphire between two diamonds--Beth had always said she'd rather have had a sapphire instead of just a big old diamond solitare), and on Oct 27 they called me to inform me it was ready.  I wasn't able to sneak downtown to pick it up without Beth knowing until the 31st.  I then kept it hidden away in the dark corner of my closet as I waited for the right time...

About half an hour north of Vancouver (we've both been here in Vancouver studying since September, 2002) is a little place called Porteau Cove that a buddy of mine had shown me last year.  I've taken Beth up there a few times to get out of the city and enjoy its beauty: it used to be a ferry terminal that they have now closed down and beautifed and turned into a provincial park, with the mountains rising up sheer behind it, and the water stretching out and across to the island mountains rising up on the far side.  It is just stunning.

I had, of course, been thinking and praying a great deal about when to propose for the past while.  Last Friday I was working (I am on the custodial staff at Regent College where we are students) and Beth was there waiting and studying so we could drive home together after I was done.  I remember at one point in the evening stopping for a few minutes break and sitting with her.  As I looked at her, I thought and prayed and asked myself "Can I ask this woman to marry me?"  The answer of my own heart and, as it seemed to me, to my prayer was "Yes."  Later that evening, once I had finished work and we were making ourselves a late supper, Beth and I had an unexpected conversation that pointedly confirmed the depth of our love and commitment and trust.  At that point, I knew that tomorrow (i.e. Saturday) would be the day.  Understandably, it was not easy to get to sleep when I went home that night.  ;)

Also, it is important to know 1) that although she had long known that I might well be proposing at any time now, I'd done a pretty good job of convincing her it would come at a moment she would least expect, and 2) that on Sunday it would be Beth's birthday and that I had told her the week before that it might be a couple weeks until after her birthday before she got her present, just so that I could throw her off the trail. ;7

The next morning I sent an email to Beth's dad, asking for his blessing.  True to form, he answered me quickly, and I was glad to receive his blessing on us.  I had checked Environment Canada's website and learned that sunset would be at 4:42 pm that night, and so had arranged with Beth that I'd come by to pick her up at 3:45 so we could be sure to arrive on time.  All that she knew was that we were going up to one of our favourite places to watch the sunset for our date this week.  The drive up to Porteau Cove took longer than expected (it occured to me as we tried to fight our way through Vancouver that the term "rush hour" is deeply ironic :ha: ), but we still arrived in time to catch the last of the sunset and enjoy the afterglow.  

Now, I'd had something of a plan as to how I would propose once we'd arrived.  I though I'd take it a bit slow, hanging out and talking and enjoying the sunset for a while before I lead into my proposal speech.  However, this got short-circuited when Beth suddenly told me that her hands were cold and asked me for her gloves (which at that moment were in my pockets since she had no more roomin hers).  One cannot put a ring on a gloved finger!  So suddenly I found myself having to propose right there and then, and the planned speech was set aside in favour of "Oh!  Um, er, well, before I do, I'd like to give you your birthday present.  Well, really it would be more of a present for me, since what I want to do is ask you, Beth, if you'll marry me."  I had not quite finished saying "...me." before she answered "Yes!" and then seemed to lose her faculty of speech for several moments. :D Once she'd recovered, we spent the next hour or so laughing, dancing, singing, and spinning with our joy.  I did end up saying most of what I'd planned for my little speech as we rejoiced in the fading light and under the stars, but what was important at that point was merely the joy of being together.

We ended up going to Squamish to find a nice restaurant (and put gas in the car).  After a lovely meal in a cute little Greek place where they congratulated us, we went to Dairy Queen for Blizzards for dessert (we looked kind of funny all dressed up sitting in Dairy Queen).  We had an understandably wonderful drive home again (thermonuclear war could have done little to dampen our spirits), and spent all of Sunday trying to juggle church, Beth's birthday party, and trying to contact everyone to give them the news.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Congrats Sesq!  Glad to hear it and i hope you have a wonderful wedding and life! :D
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline J3Vr6

I think... *sniffle*  .. I'm gonna... cry!  DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hey that's a nice proposal, Sesqui.  I give you brownie points for the plan.  How long have you two been going out before you decided to ask the big question?
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Huzzah! Good show old chap.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
How sweet. Good luck to ya! :yes:
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
  • What the hell are you lookin at?
congratz sesquip good luck with your marriage
Hell has no fury like an0n...
killing threads is...well, what i do best.

Offline Dark_4ce

• GTVA comedy relief
Congrants dude! Best of luck to ya! :yes:
I have returned... Again...

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
[color=66ff00]I believe Andrew W. K. said it best:
Party Hard! :D
[/color]