Author Topic: What Freespace are you (Re)Playing Now?  (Read 76529 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: What Freespace are you (Re)Playing Now?
Hmm. I should play something. I never played past WiH R1, so that's an option! Will report back soon. :)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
So I'm a bit late in replying to this, but 2 weeks ago I actually played A Walk in the Sun for the first time. Taranis did a nice job with the campaign. I mean there's nothing new or amazing, but it's well done for what it does.

I haven't played any of the releases of JAD 2.21 since 1.0, but I promise I'll got back and play it again once JAD 2.22 comes out on the 22nd (Axem is still on schedule for that...right?)
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
I'm still playing some of the Wings of Dawn misisons in my free time, both from the classic and the remake.
Other than that, there's Dimensional Eclipse, the JADXA arcade, the new ASW. Heard good things about BtA, meaning to give it a try.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Still plugging away at BtA. Finally got some time to play it again today. Did anyone else find Playing Pirate really tough?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Well shoot guys over the last week or so i booted up the old FreeSpace machine for the first time in years. Downloaded and finished Blue Planet Complete. So good. For the first time in a while I feel like life has meaning again! :D

Will definitely play some actual new campaigns whenever I next find the time. Obviously gotta play BtA and find all the snails... Any other suggestions of campaigns to play from the past, I dunno 5 years? Really wish I'd stuck around.

New Wings of Dawn, Just Another Day, Aerilon is Burning over at Diaspora spring to mind.

I've gotten a big nostalgic urge recently & played through a bunch of old games, with got me wanting to play through FS2 again. Unfortunately, I would feel guilty for not finishing BtA first, which I keep putting off due to me wanting to be able to put 2-3 hours in it uninterrupted, and that kind of timeslot is getting increasingly rare (which, incidentally is also the reason my ability framework keeps getting stalled).

tldr; I want to play BtA & FS2, but can't find time to do it properly.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Played through the german exclusive "Relic - Spuren im Sand" (translated: Relic - Traces in the Sand) campaign today. A campaign from 2009 with 40 missions and 10 cutscenes...

That was indeed interesting, but in my opinion it want to tell way too much in this campaign.
The Death of Khonsu II and the fight for the Vasudan throne, The GTVA return to Sol which leads into a complete GTVA-Sol war that end in a reunification. The Return of the Hammer of Light that had knowledge about an Ancient Superweapon, that they want to use and to hand over the Shivans with ETAK. Oh and you have to deal something like two complete Shivan invasion fleets, of course.

Everything in only one campaign... other people need only one Plotline for a whole campaign.

But actually i did have much more problems with the voice acting. It uses voice files from FS1 & FS2 most of the time in the missions. And some TTS-pieces for exclusive lines. Even i think that TTS was not implemented very well here, the voice files from the original campaigns were the much bigger problem for myself. You hear the same sentences over and over again and they never regard the developments that happens in this campaign. So i had often the impression, that the Story is not carried on in the mission itself, because you always hear the same.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
That has grabbed my attention and piqued my interest.

I just wish my German was better. :(
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I just started playing through FS1 for the first time since I was a teenager. It's been really cool so far, but it's been making me want to get into making missions -- specifically for Fate of the Galaxy. I have yet to determine if their release will be coming this year. If so, then that will definitely make me want to make a series of missions all the more. Already have one good idea that would be perfect for a 3-4 mission campaign too. I just have no idea how to actually start mapping using FotG assets. I'm sure I'll figure it out though.

Will be playing through FS2 in short order, was breezing through the game and realized I was on easy mode. Oops! Don't care though, had a fun time.

EDIT: I opened FRED and the SW assets were the first thing to pop up. Looks like all you do is have to load the mod?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I just started playing through FS1 for the first time since I was a teenager. It's been really cool so far, but it's been making me want to get into making missions -- specifically for Fate of the Galaxy. I have yet to determine if their release will be coming this year

I wouldn't bet on that, unfortunately.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline johnney351

• bring'em on!
I've played FS2 a while ago and installed blue planet now, its working great and I'm on the second mission,

want to play Free Space 1 port to experience the start of things.

cheers
Johnny
Cheers
John

Offline johnney351

• bring'em on!
I spoke to fast, Blue Planet now crashes out, I've played 6 missions, now when I try to start it kicks me out instantly,

it kicked out with this error: FS2 Open has stopped working.

Interesting, Freespace 2 retails works fine, also the MediaVp updated edition, I just tested Exile and Diaspora both works and I played 'beyond the red line ' without any problems, when I try Blue Planet it fails, I did a file integrity check, all check out well, ( I'm running through Knossos 0.78 )

anyone had this before?

kind rgds
J
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:40:48 am by johnney351 »
Cheers
John

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Just got blown up to hell by Heliades' beams in recent Inferno update. I tried to save the Reyes in Sol Gate blockade mission even knowing it's impossible.

Gosh, I barely remember age of low-poly models and now I know why I don't want to remember that xD.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline johnney351

• bring'em on!
have not tried Inferno, got Blue Planet working again, think it's the onboard graphics that's causes crashing out etc, works perfectly on my AMD Radeon.

Cheers
John

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
During the course of the last weeks i am played through some campaigns.

Next to A Walk in the Sun and VeniceMirror i reviewed in the corresponding threads, i also replayed Renegade Resurgence.
Well, the story is simply absurd, but the mission design is still very solid most of the case. Even very retaily from today's perspective. But it is still able to entertain if you do not think about the story too much. There are some challenging missions, even especially the capital ship battles could be much better, because they use Attack orders instead waypoints (i did not change that in my Knossos transition, because i was simply too lazy to rechoreograph all these battles :rolleyes:)

A few days ago i started with Shadow Genesis finally and i am finished the Prologue so far. Well i have to say, i am missing some kind of introduction for all these changes in the universe within it's campaign like there was in FreeSpace 2. FS2 was understandable even without the TechDB... But SG is only a whole question mark with all the storychanges if you do not take your time to read through the TechDB before you start the first mission. I strongly recommend the TechDB anyway, because you will not even see the weapon loadout screen in the first missions and so will not get any information about the weapons you are using.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline ionia23

• "YES, I did finally see 'The Matrix' 12 years late
Blue Planet: Age Of Aquarius.  I am...I am lost for words.  This is unbelievable.  Riveting.  If this was an officially released expansion pack, I'd buy it in an instant.  Of course, I feel the same way towards Silent Threat: Reborn, Homesick (my personal favorite), Derelict, the remade Inferno, and Sol: A History.

I can't wait to get to BP: War In Heaven.

All this starting from a game that came out 20 years ago.  Talk about giving Starcraft a run for the money :)
"Why does it want me to say my name?"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Starcraft and Brood War were excellent, starcraft 2 is mediocre.   
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I recently redid Freespace 2 "Extended". Which is to say, Freespace 2 Blue, the demo Crisis in Capella campaign, and relevant multiplayer missions such as Corvette Rescue and Forward Battle Area.

It's nice because it rounds out some of the events in the story. Such as the defense of the Vega node, what the GTVA was doing in the Nebula once Alpha 1 went back to fighting the NTF, and the evacuation of the fleet to Gamma Draconis.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Do the multiplayer missions have any VO we could steal for FreeSpace Blue stuff? i was disappointed that the demo didn't.

All Alone takes place most likely during the Santhanas fleet push into Capella. The GTVA launches a few fighter and bomber wings to ambush the corvette Nosferatu in Gamma Draconis, which also results in the destruction of an Eva destroyer and Rakshasha which jump in as reinforcements. Corvette Rescue doesn't have any VA, but the GTCv Bretagne fights its way out of an extended Shivan ambush including a cruiser, corvette, and multiple fighter and bomber wings. Forward Edge Battle Area details the Vasudan defense of Epsilon Pegasi from the Shivans, again likely during the Shivan's massive assault on Capella.

I actually think that would be a tremendous idea to do a true "extended cut" which include rebalanced versions of those missions, along with Crisis in Capella, back into the campaign proper. Corvette Rescue should probably have the bomber wings placed further back for single player, as it is EMP spam is the only way I've found to keep the Corvette alive. That and about 20% higher hull integrity. Forward Edge has the Vasudan destroyer not use its man gun on the approaching corvettes, only on the Ravana that jumps in later. Finally, the infinite fighter waves for All Alone mean that if your bomber wings go down, it's impossible to finish the mission. You have to be extremely fast in destroying the weapon systems and crushing the Nosferatu before your bombers run out of payload.