Author Topic: HLPX-COM 2: Electric Shot From Deep One Boogaloo  (Read 82011 times)

Re: HLPX-COM 2: Electric Shot From Deep One Boogaloo
Scourge's log. Earthdate: August 31st, 2040

They finally let me out of the cloning tanks. I got my old bunk back, and some standard provisions; I even found that my dress uniform and off-duty stuff was still all intact!
The new body is performing as well as anybody could have hoped. Who would have thought that a grizzled vet like me could have a whole new life like this? All it took was absorbing a coherent sonic bolt to my gut and swimming around inside my suit at 50 atmospheres of pressure for a few minutes... Sure, painful, but what in life isn't?
It's great to see my pals from the FAW back in action, The E, Goober, Spoon, ummm... the rest. Some of the guys are getting a little cranky after 40 years, but who can blame 'em? They still own anyway. I swear I hears The E yelling at a rookie the other day, something about his lawn, but it was probably a joke or something.

I haven't gotten back on the active roster yet, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to, at least for a while. But I'm keeping busy, training with some of the captured alien weapons, trying to get my pre-demise physique back. I've been studying the UFOpaedia and doing guard duty at the labs and workshops, hangin' out with my old buddies, meeting new faces, taunting the jerks in alien containment (but not from too close after what happened to that lab assistant the other day, ouch).

Commander picked an assault squad for the attack on T'leth, some of the absolute finest soldiers I've ever had the privilege of meeting. I know these guys, and I wouldn't be surprised if the baddies just pack up and surrender when the Leviathan touches down. Heh, I only wish I could be there to see the looks on those critters' ugly, scaly faces as they soil themselves.
Oh wait, Spoon'll be sending us a live feed from the battle, sweet!

Tear 'em up, guys!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Apocalypse? That one is really different in may ways. I can say I loved it, aside from the retro-desing.
Been a long time since I played it tough.
You need to learn to spell what you're trying to say.

Corrupted save files sound scary.
The continued existence of T'Leth threatens the very fabric of reality itself!

Sandwich's Personal Log; Date: August 30th, 2040.
Well, there were two missions in that post.  The date of your log was actually August 23rd.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Geez. Two LPs in a row and The_E is an absolute badass. 90 MC strength!
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Does anybody know if the new X-COM game will have Interceptors?  I'm looking to fill out my campaign medals. :P

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Apocalypse? That one is really different in may ways. I can say I loved it, aside from the retro-desing.
Been a long time since I played it tough.
You need to learn to spell what you're trying to say.

Hello Gramar Natzi. Nice to meet you.

I wans't aware can is spelled in any other way than can.

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Holy crap, my M.C. stat is through the roof.

Also, put me down for HLP XCOM III.

And now that I'm on holiday I may just start my UFO-ET playthrough, but I warn people now. That game is SNES hard, so I may end up restarting. A lot.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 04:41:01 am by Ravenholme »
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I appear to be quite close to the bottom when it comes to MC...
Ah well. I'll take my 15 missions and 14 kills

"No"

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Dear diary

I took a look at the MC reports of the squads. Of course, that old die hard The E remains ever sturdy of mind. Maybe he got even more stubborn with old age!
What really caught my interest though, is *99* freaking MC on Ravenholme. I've hereby given him the nickname Akira. (Because after this second war, X-COM will almost surely put his brain in a jar for research and safe keeping)

Now I promised these guys I'd set up a live camera feed for the final assault... What button does what again..?
...I'm getting too old for this.

/end log
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
For everybody trying to sign up for the sequel: LRN2READ
I'm not taking earlies for 3 because we know so little about the game, it's impossible to predict how many people will get in. Hell, this run of TFTD was completely bizarre when it comes to causalities.

Those four got in because they volunteered for this one and I didn't get to them, so they get special treatment. The rest of you suck. :P

Now I'm off to Palomar for the rest of the day, I'll catch you all on the flipside.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, given how well my avatar is doing in these games, I just have to pick up the Firaxis game as well.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Subject: "z64-555"
Log Number : 287
Date: [Redacted]

The M.C. results are finally in! Although I personally think my rating of 70 is inadequate, compared to some of the other guys it's spectacular (especially that one guy who had a rating of 5, wow.)

In addition to the M.C. results, the commander posted the assault team roster for the attack against the aliens main colony, T'Leth. I found my moniker on that list, so it looks like I'm going with them this time!

I... I'm elated to know that I'll be helping the team on the front lines instead of the sidelines this time, but I'm also a bit worried.

I mustn't think about it much more than that, because I know that it'll only get worse if I do. Plus, if I show any signs of breaking down, I'll get kicked off the roster. I don't want that.

One good thing about being a technology officer is that I'll have an insight to the alien's technologies. I'll get a chance to salvage whatever tech I can get in my pockets, and maybe if I'm lucky I'll get a hold of some really cool stuff. On one of my last missions, I picked up a strange piece of Zrbite that looked to be of a different purity or possibly a special alloy. I haven't gotten time on the mass spect to take a look at it, and I don't trust the tech's in there to keep the thing in one piece after that last time.

I guess I'll go back to working on stuff for that game during my down-time.

--Z
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Sandwich's Personal Log, Da-ahh, who gives a crap - I'm going to T'Leth! I've also got the highest mission:kill ratio of the T'Leth squad - 7 missions, 8 kills. Booyah! A few guys from the entire force had a better m:k ratio, but they weren't quite hardy of mind, if you know what I mean. :)

To be continued when I return victorious... or in a body bag.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Given how things have been going, I don't think anyone is coming home in a body bag
"No"

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Famous last words...
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I would like to state that whoever designed this is a giant piece of **** for making my guns disappear between stages, and they can go **** themselves.

EDIT: More specifically, my Disruptor Pulse Launchers and their ten rounds of ammo have completely disappeared, along with thirty clips worth of Sonic Cannon ammo.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:37:59 am by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Send a pre-cog bug report to Firaxis, to make sure they don't include that bug in their game. ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Well, uninstalling X-COMUtil fixed it. So we'll just have to do without it. (That's kinda a stupid thing to do, though, X-COMUtil.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:55:05 am by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
T'Leth: Stage One and Stage Two
Welcome to T'Leth, folks. We've got a long haul ahead of us. Extra ammo has been issued to all Sonic Cannon-armed troops.

Basically this looks like an artifact site, only it's really, really dark.

It's also infested with Sectoids. This one actually took a Sonic Cannon shot in the side from Zeke and stayed standing, but he killed it with the second one.

The team has been separated into two groups at start; a pair of Tiger Sharks, LHN91, Mongoose, ZekeSulatsin, and z64555. The other group contains a single Tiger Shark, and everybody else. Progress is slow; all angles have to be watched as the enemy could appear from any direction. No organized attempt at sweeping and clearing is made because of the need to conserve ammo.

We also encounter basically no enemies. A couple of Hallucinoids approach but get blasted by the tanks. At least one Sectoid, attempting to use his Disruptor Pulse Launcher, manages to blow himself up.

This one met a tank. He was not ready for such a thing.

I'm hoping that's A Way Out.

Way Out confirmed, despite the asshole who tried to camp it.

Everyone is given a minute to rest up once the team is assembled at the exit, while one of the tanks blocks the lift. Then it's time to move on.

Total ammo expenditure: about ten Sonic Cannon rounds. Total casualties: None.

Second verse, same as the first.

The second level starts with The E reaction-shotting a Tentaculat. The area is cramped and the Spoonzers are having trouble maneuvering, frequently having to blast a way forward themselves or with the help of Hades and Ravenholme's Disruptor Pulse Launchers.

Still encountering few enemies. Blowing a path forward, we hit the opposite side of the map without making it to the exit. Spreading out, BloodEagle encounters a Lobsterman which he shoots with his Sonic Cannon. It turns around and fires its stun launcher, knocking itself out, but BloodEagle's armor blocks nearly all the stun damage. His left hand is briefly numb.

This was actually the first Disruptor Pulse we fired in the mission to kill something, rather than for demolition.

Doc Fox kills a Lobsterman with reaction fire. A second, with a Disruptor Pulse Launcher, charges and takes several swings at him with its claws ineffectively, one being stopped by armor and one being a miss. He kills that one as well on our turn with two quick snapshots. Madcat clears the room they came out of.

We're running out of map to explore here, and probably aliens too. (Judging from the length of their turn.) What the hell happened to the heavy resistance we were told to expect?

One of the tanks kills a Sectoid and...a Deep One. Damn, haven't seen one of those in a few months. Mongoose, meanwhile...what the hell is that.

Mongoose' one shot only pisses it off, and it shoots him back, at least three times. MP-Ryan returns a further two rounds to kill it even as Mongoose crumples to the ground, badly wounded. Mongoose' multiple suit breaches and extensive injuries kill him before MP-Ryan can reach him with a medikit.

Way Out.

Total ammo expenditure: Between half and a third of the tank batteries, thirty Sonic Cannon rounds, ten Disruptor Pulses. (Nearly all of it for demolition rather than combat.) Total casualties: Mongoose.

A Feddie Story

Offline Madcat

I am delighted to be part of the T'Leth assault and volunteer for HLPX-COM 3! Let there be blood... uhm... slimey alien gore!

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
What was that thing that killed Mongoose? :O

And, I'm thinking of going ahead with my UFO ET playthrough, though I won't be able to match NGTM-1R's awesome pace. It's being done with that mod that everyone plays the game with (Bmans or something), and the game is SNES hard. Restarts are very likely, and I've never yet completed the game (or gotten hugely far towards the Endgame), but then I did only start playing it about a week before I got into finals revision mode.

Who wants in?
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp