Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 15912 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
...damn! I knew Guild Wars was good but not THAT good. I might play it from time to time then.

Possibly because it all sounds a lot better on paper...but hey...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Psyco89

I played Guild Wars and didn't really like the game. I gave the game to my cousins and they loved it. It just wasn't my style.
You can't entrust the Sword of a Thousand Truths to a NOOB!!!

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I supose many people might dislike it. Heck I've known some players who were looking for grind so they left for WoW :P

Still for me nothing beats the nice team coordinations you can have on GW. Good players win there, not kids without a life :D
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Asuko

• Angel in conflict
I supose many people might dislike it. Heck I've known some players who were looking for grind so they left for WoW :P

Still for me nothing beats the nice team coordinations you can have on GW. Good players win there, not kids without a life :D
God forbid, they got their grind fix in WoW.
This sig is equal to -i.

Free Vasudans! Clicky here!!

Care to kill a flame war™?

"Is it just me or are the squirrels getting more and more waterlogged?" - Tyr

"THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" -Me
"Are you trying to exorcise my Rubik's cube?" -Tyrian

"Life's an adventure*plunge*" -Tyrian
"You call plunging a toilet an adventure?" -Me

Huzzah for Guild Wars and it's many forms of PvP!  I only tend to play alliance battles or Heroes Ascent matches of course, but it's nice to have other options.
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
ahAH! Another blessed one! Anything but Random Arenas for me
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline shiven_warior

• A true shivan
meh, guild wars is nice and all, but i never really got in to the pvp, more to the missions. i also play wow. but i do have a life, outside wow
i know i misspeld my name >_<

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
1. Buy a Mac if you torrent a lot.  Even though it takes a bit longer to do, trust me, it's worth having a foolproof virus screen.

/facepalm

Allow me to rephrase.

Don't throw away your old mac if you have one; use it to torrent.  If you know what to look for, you can spot if what you downloaded is virus'ed, crap, or the real deal.  The right software can help, too...

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Or simply just download the torrents from sites that have commenting. There will be bazillion "FAKEFAKEFAKE" and "VIRUSSIS!!!11" notes on bad torrents... And there are a lot of bad torrents...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Asuko

• Angel in conflict
You can always scan the files for viruses after torrenting them. Otherwise, download it into a virtual machine.
This sig is equal to -i.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Or dual-boot Linux. :D
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Asuko

• Angel in conflict
Or run it past a Cisco router ;7
This sig is equal to -i.

Or torrent with a mac  :nod:
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline Asuko

• Angel in conflict
Or use a machine using the PowerPC architecture :P
This sig is equal to -i.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester

God forbid, they got their grind fix in WoW.

Grinding in WoW is not that big issue. You have tons of quests to accomplish, you just need to travel a lot. If you run out of quests before a level up, you can go to another place with monsters of the same level range, and continue playing there.

You don't know the meaning of grinding until you start playing Silkroad Online and reach, let's say, level 30. Without a bot or powerleveling! Trust me. WoW is amazingly dynamic and fun after nearly two years wasted grinding in Silkroad.

And here are some notes to those who think playing WoW means the end of world:

Only the extreme cases of addiction are mentioned, and they are mentioned because WoW is played by so many people that statistically, it is impossible that some out of millions suffers from an extreme case of game addiction. And why is it that we hear about these stories? Because it is no big deal if someone has, let's say, three level 70 characters in WoW, and has all what one needs in real life - a girlfriend/wife, a well-paying work, etc. No one hears about these people, because the media - tabloid papers or news agencies - cannot write about them because "they do nothing special" and they can only sell what is "special."
I have not read too many articles discussing WoW from this perspective, but those I read elevated the effects of addiction and generalized very much, saying that everyone playing WoW will end up with this and that illness/disorder/social problems etc. The kind of thing you are doing. Another reason we read/hear about WoW addiction stories is simply because WoW is by far the most known and widely played MMORPGs. Do you think that there are fewer addicted players to let's say, Silkroad Online than to WoW (in proportions)? I used to play SRO and play a bit of WoW nowadays, and I saw more addicts on SRO than I do on WoW. Silkroad is not mentioned anywhere because it is by far less known.
By this, I would like to suggest the biasedness (<-- is this a word?) of the media and Blizzard's popularity. If you are journalist who despises online gaming, you would rather talk about game addicts, not new developments in industrial technologies. There you go. I don't think why people generalize so badly based on some (even if extreme) cases. It is as much saying as seeing a drunkard on the streets means that if anyone drinks a glass of beer will become a drunkard. I know that this beer-WoW comparison is not the best, but the point is that people sometimes generalize based on one or two cases *despite* common sense.
I don't know if you have ever wondered if anyone lost his job/wife/car/house because of addiction to FreeSpace. It is not talked about because FS is by far less common than WoW.
Let's assume we have two serious game addicts. The first guy is an addict of WoW. The second is an addict of FreeSpace. They both spend 48 hours in front of their monitors, playing their favorite games. In the 49th hour, they fall out of their chair and die. In the first case, we have an article that sums up like this: "A serious game addict died again while playing a game. And guess what, it was World of Warcraft!" The FreeSpace guy, however, is more likely to get this: "Game addiction has once again killed someone." FreeSpace is just "some kind of space simulator game," so it will never get mentioned by title, *if* it ever gets reported.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 04:12:16 pm by TopAce »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Well, RoadSilk or not (never heard of it to be honest), WoW is still a grindfest. A players sole purpose in that game is to simply level up your character. After you have max level theres not much to do. Also, as far as im concerned, leveling like that is boring, time consuming, and thus not acceptable for a game I play.
Obviously theres lots of people who enjoy it, but I dont.

I'd much rather play a game where the leveling part is just the beginning of it, that is 5% of the game. The rest is skill based (player skill, not characters'), not level based.

Raven is a god.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Media aside, WOW just plain sucks...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Lol true

Also, theres another factor I forgot to mention: money

The idea of paying monthly in order to play a game is ridiculous. I might be a casual player, who only plays 5 hours a week, and Im paying the same as the hardcore guy next to me.
Also, blizzard can kiss my ass and come with their "your paying for server maintenance and regular updates" cock and bull story, and I wont buy it.
I dont play fees, and I have my server maintenance (in fact I dont have half the problems of the WoW players I know) AND I have my regular updates. For the bigger updates I can buy my access to them or not... just in the same way the WoW players pay for their expansions.

Oh and of course the anti-blizzard sentiment... sorry but nowadays they are a company just like EA: hollow, uncreative

Raven is a god.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I wonder how many people here who hate WoW have actually played it...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
*raises hand*
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!