Author Topic: Who ? What ? Why ? How long ?  (Read 14198 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: Who ? What ? Why ? How long ?
Eh, you were right, sorry :) I just doublechecked

I had that in my memory from the books.

Good links btw, I haven't checked that page that much, I only found their very good starmaps. I use mostly this for reference :

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
There was a time when I could tell you all Mechs and their configurations..now I am happy if I remeber the names correctly ^_^
I have just seen that there is a new TRO 3085. Man I loved the TROs. Pretty expansive, espacialy if you don't play anymore but I might still get this one.

PS: Found a pretty cool image showing how a classic map can be done in a very cool way
http://www.mechforce.de/1/cbt/img/traumlande/05.png
That makes me want to play again...anyone here knows a time machine or a cloneing device so I can have double the time per day?
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Mad Cat is the name of the Clan Smoke Jaguar, Timber Wolf is from Clan Wolf. The Inner Sphere codenamed the mech Catapract

Wait wat.

The Clans (ALL the Clans) use the "Timber Wolf" name. The IS reporting name (as coined by either Phelan Kell or Anastasius Focht, not sure right now) is "Mad Cat", as a portmanteau of the type designations of the Marauder (MAD) and Catapult (CAT).

The Cataphract is a Liao-designed heavy mech. Quite a different beast.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
That's nice :) I never was really interested in the board game, but that's because I didn't knew anyone who was willing to play that
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Starman allready stated that he mixed things up. Bet it comes from the sometimes bad translations in the german version. We allways had 3-4 names for the same Mech as the novels or TROs couldn't decide between using english only names or translate them.

I played the boardgame for quite some time but our group broke up. One is now in france, the other in the US and so on. So I am pretty much alone...the last man standing ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
The Clans (ALL the Clans) use the "Timber Wolf" name.

Nope, I'm pretty sure that's not true :) Even in MW2 they had different names. And it goes for more mechs

Wolf                        Smoke Jaguar
Timber Wolf            Mad Cat
Dire Wolf                 Daishi
Mad Dog                 Vulture

Maybe some clans share names, I'm not sure that Jade Falcon named all mechs differently, but I think they had a different for the Mad Dog

But the mix is correct, in the books it's described how Phelan Kell first encountered a Timber Wolf, and his targeting computer get's confused and swichted between Marauder (because of the arms) and Catapult (because of the ML on the shoulders)

Yeah, Lars is right, it could be a problem with german translation also, they are not always very reliable. I'm pretty sure the catapract error is somewhere in the german books, because I wondered that time why giving that cool mech such a bad name (think it was anastasios focht when he visited Clan Wolf when it was mentioned)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
I have the english Version of MW2...*goes opening his vault of awesome manuals*...here it says: Timber Wolf. One name only.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yes, forgot all I said, I just read it again in the wiki :) Those Alt-Names I mentioned above are the InnerSphere names (including vulture and Daishi), "The E" is right. Better I just shut up now, and go back to modelling  :lol:
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Well bargend and done...or so they say ^_^

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Seila !

:lol:
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Speaking of Mechs and models...will you be using the Re-seen versions or the original?

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
hm ? I don't know what you mean, please explain :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Jup that is what I meant. The legal issues with the original mechs made it necessary to take them off the market and project Phoenix made new designs that are similar to the originals but different enough to get around the legal issues. These new-old mechs are also often refered to as "Re-seen"

Personaly I find some of them butt-ugly others are quite good looking.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
A few of those have already been added to the game, by Magic I think :)

Example are Warhammer, Marauder, Valkiere, Rifleman, Longbow and many more :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Using Unseen = bad idea, no matter how cool it would be.  Harmony Gold is a buncha Dicks.

Also, model-wise, could we sync up the Mad Cat/Timberwolf (and any other Clan/IS designation) into one 'Mech model and file to avoid confusion?

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Surely, in the end :) We now have to sort things out. Remember, there isn't a really alpha base yet. I have just a collection of working and modded installations, containing new and old stuff. Of course, the lower poly stuff will be eradicated sooner or later, that will also free up the object limit.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Using Unseen = bad idea, no matter how cool it would be.  Harmony Gold is a buncha Dicks.

Also, model-wise, could we sync up the Mad Cat/Timberwolf (and any other Clan/IS designation) into one 'Mech model and file to avoid confusion?

When has it been done otherwise, out of curiosity?

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
What do you mean ? The new mechs ? I think magic made them somewhere between 2002 and 2005
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
MechAssault divided all the 'Mechs into two variants of the same model with different weapons; Clan/IS name for the Clan 'Mechs, and IIRC, also a few IS Mechs(they called the alternate version of the Catapult, the Bowman, which is...kind of similar).

The Unseen are really only a problem if you're either selling or otherwise 'official', to my knowledge.

MekTek had their mod to add the unseen Marauder, Marauder II, Archer, Warhammer, Shadow Hawk, and Wasp(possibly more, but don't spring to mind) in MW4: Mercs, many of them for years, until they were tapped to distribute MW4: Mercs for free, which forced them to become legally 'official' entities, rather than just an independent modding group.

Also, it's worth noting that only the Macross-derived 'Mechs are now considered Unseen.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:24:49 pm by Timerlane »